How did Swan/Dolphin end up on Disney property but under different management?

SpaceAce

Mouseketeer
How did Swan/Dolphin end up on Disney property but under different management?

Thanks to anyone who can fulfill my curiosity.

My understanding is that it is a pre-Eisner agreement. The company was considering, at one time, selling off rights to the theme parks, and separately selling off the few existing "Disney"resorts, and simply licensing resort operators to build on Disney property. When Eisner came on board, he instead decided to expand the Disney resort operations, but was locked into this particular agreement with the as yet unbuilt "Swan/Dolphin" He was able to renegotiate to allow the company input on design specs...or else you might be looking at very typical, standard hotels.

Similar to Chuck, my understanding is that Disney needed outside investment to cover the cost of builing the hotels. With all the outlay at the time the parks were built Disney was a little stretched for cash and outsourcing some of the hotels on a long lease basis ( I think Disney still owns the land the hotels are built on) was a way to have the hotel accomodation on site, without Disney itself having to cover the capital expediture of building the hotels themselves. As Disney recovered the cost of the parks it decided ( wisely IMHO) that it served the companies interest more to provide both the accomodation and the entertainment for all the guests coming to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter