How did you know your SO was "The One"?

How we met is interesting, but for that's another story.

Anyhow, back in 1976 we were both stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas, and lived in the same BOQ (bachelor officer quarters) and her application for voluntary indefinite status (reserve officers, like us, had to have "volindef" status to be able to stay on active duty for 20 years) That meant that she would be getting out of the Army within a few weeks, and -- I assumed -- going back home to Michigan.

We were standing out in the parking lot, holding hands, and it hit me that I did NOT intend to let this girl get away. That was sort of the first time we started talking about "us" and the future. She also started planning job-hunting in Kansas, and I knew that she'd reached the same decision.

No, I didn't ask her to marry me right there. That came a few weeks later (the Army changed their minds about her, too), and is yet another story.

Now, a few months before, we'd gone on a skiing trip with four other folks. (MANY stories about this trip!) Two male, two female, and I'll be honest -- I had my eye on one of the girls. Neither DW or I had ever been skiing before, so we did a lot of falling. One particular tumble she took sent her sprawling down the mountain, looking like a rag doll. Well, I broke out of my awkward snowplow, went barreling downhill, skidded to a sideways stop where she was, and asked if she was OK. I suppose I should have figured it out right there that she was special, but you know how men are!

Oh, and it turns out that the other four folks had already decided Mrs. Tex and I were a couple. I guess it's easier to tell from the outside.

You better find that employee and send them a thank you note! :rotfl2:
I did something even better. I emailed her and said something to the effect that if he hadn't left the company, I would have never been lucky enough to find my soul mate WITHOUT letting her know that I knew what she'd done. It was her "best friend" since high school (who has now decided for herself that the girl who did this is very self-centered) who tipped me off as to exactly what happened.

When I found out he had a guinea pig and he didn't think it was weird I had a pet rabbit, both sets of our friends said "you found the right one this time" :rotfl2: And it was true.....:lovestruc

I knew I found the right one because it was easy.
There was no angst.

If he said he would call, he called.
If he said he was picking me up at 7pm, he was there at 7pm. If he couldn't be there at 7pm, he called to tell me.
We laughed a lot.
He has beautiful eyes.

We'll be married 20 years next month, which I can really hardly believe. It's gone so fast, and yet I also cannot really remember my life without him.

I was smart to snatch him up!:love:

I was seeing two guys at the same time. On my way to a baby shower that I didnt want to attend for a family member I called both of them . #1 said you should go it is family and it is only for a few hours . #2 said so don't go . Well I have been married to #1 now for over 6 years. I realized that he valued family just as much as me ! Plus he was/is really hot :thumbsup2 and #2 wore funny shoes :rotfl:

He was so dang hot, I knew I had to have him for mine, so I did. Plus, he was funny as all get out and very smart too!

Well, at age 27, I had dated every type out there. Turned down two proposals because I knew it wouldn't work due to various issues. When I met my husband, I knew he was the one because he met all the criteria I was looking for in a mate but unable to find before (at that age, you've pretty much narrowed it down to whats really important). Smart, good looking, educated, hardworking, former Naval officer, Eagle Scout, close to his family, same views on church and family, dedicated, etc.. We met in mid January, got engaged in March, and married the first week of June. That was almost 14 yrs. ago. Going strong and getting better every year. Sometimes you just know!

I think the one most noticeable thing that I can say for sure let me know DH was "The One" was that he remembered things I told them, which meant he listened. One of our first phone conversations before our first date, we discussed so much, including plants and flowers. I mentioned I loved yellow roses in that conversation, never red ones. Our first date was 2 weeks later on Valentine's...that day he sent me to work 2 dozen YELLOW roses. He also sent my receptionist a half dozen pink ones to thank her for putting his first call through to me and not laughing at him when he thought she was me.

We were almost never apart after that first date...if we weren't at work or other obligations, we were together. He showed me his amazing cooking skills pretty early on (stuffed lobster on the 3rd date!), which would have been a keeper moment, but then he did something that I just knew he was HIM.

I have lupus and got sick about 6 weeks into our dating life. Both of us have deceased mothers and in some conversation I must have talked about one of the things I missed most was my mom's potato soup when I was sick. He had called me that day to check on me, he wanted me to come to his house, but my roommate had told him I was sleeping and should just stay home that night. A few hours later, he knocked on our apartment door with a huge pot of homemade potato soup. It was the most delicious I ever ate. I think there were probably some tears in it, I loved it so much. ;) I had been married before; I had 2 small kids to think about and I didn't want to fall in love again, but there it was. He had me with the potato soup. :love:

Since then, we have dealt with cancer, infertility, cancer again, career gains and losses, and all the other things that make life life. I am so glad he didn't take no for an answer when my roomate tried to blow him off. That friendship did not last but my complete and total best friendship with DH gets better every day. :hug:

I cannot pinpoint a specific aha moment. He was 18, and I was 16 when we met. Two months after meeting, we went on our first date. There was something about him that really clicked for me. As we continued dating, I realized he was the one for me. Fast forward more than 15 years later, and I love him more with each passing day. It may be that he is my first and only love, but I cannot piccture anyone but him for me.

I don't know a hill of beans about love but I'm assuming you know your SO is the one when you imagine your future and see him/her beside you. If you imagine your future without him/her, they are not the one.

There are kind of two points for me, and one relates to this:rotfl:
As a little girl growing up, in fantasies of my future life I always pictured the same man. Always. And then one day, a friend of mine who was always talking about a friend of hers, brought him in toe the fabric store I was working at to say hello. And there HE was, the guy from all my childhood fantasies. Standing there talking to me. I was so flustered I must have seemed like a total idiot to him:lmao: However, I am more logical than that and did not make too big of a deal of it (besides we were both dating other people and I was not looking to get married at 17).

Almost three years later, after we had been dating about 6 months, we flew to LA together to visit his sisters. I took (as I always did)crayons and a coloring book with me to while away the time for the flight. Not only did he not laugh at me, he picked up a crayon and then proudly told his sister how much FUN I was coloring on the plane when we got in. And that moment, was IT. Really. Fun, not afraid to be himself and proud of me for being just ME? Who could ask for more?:love:

We were friends (in college) before we ever started dating and had a group of friends in common. - They knew before we did!

One day a few of us decided we really needed a break and drove to my folks' house (a little over an hour away) to bum a decent dinner. Somewhere on the ride back, DH and I just realized they were right.

DH and I were on our 4th or 5th date...I was telling him that I was not really a relationship person, then I blurted out "until I met you!" At that moment I realized it was true. He was the first one I was 100% certain about. I just knew he was so right for me. :lovestruc

Since then, there have been a million moments that have confirmed my feelings...he is a wonderful person, husband, and father.

I met my dh at work of all things...both of us are in nursing, and he was sent to help us out for a 4 hour shift. He was dynamic and interesting.....I was anything but! I guess he took an interest in me (I really don't get why) and call my unit on Christmas day to wish me a happy one.....

I had another boyfriend at the time (long distance, and not a happy relationship) so when he call me to go out, I didn't return the message. He ended up calling 3 times before I called him back. Best decision I ever made!

We have had good times and bad, but we had weathered the bad times together. We have been together for 15 years. Most people who knew us didn't think we would make it, but so far so good.

It helps that he is my best friend!

I think I knew from the moment I met him, but there was one incident in particular that put him over the top. We met and started dating in college. I lived in the dorms, and he played football for the university. Everyday we would meet at the cafeteria and eat lunch together. One day, I was running late so I told him to go ahead and start eating and that I would find him once I got to the cafeteria. As I passed by a table, a group of football players made an inappropriate comment to me. I pretended not to hear them, but I guess the expression on my face changed because when I got to my dh, he asked me what they had said to upset me. I told him. He immediately got up and went to the table where the football boys sat. He had each one of them apologize to me. I was shocked. I don't know what he would have done if they had refused, but they didn't. They said that they didn't know that we were dating and that their comment was supposed to be taken as a compliment. :crazy2: Anyways, they never disrespected me again and were quite friendly after that. :teeth: I knew my dh was the man for me. :lovestruc

IMO there is no way of really knowing for sure. I truly thought DH was my soul mate. We had things in common, had the same values (or so I thought) liked similar things, so on. After nearly 18 yrs of marriage I come to find he never truly loved me for me. Only for what I could give him. He came to me with some clothes, an old jeep and tons of debt.

I had a house full of furniture, a savings account, a van... living fairly well. I come to find he loves/loved another woman and since she would not take him back he chose to marry me. Real blow to the self esteem. With the saying,"love is blind" well believe me, it can also sometimes be stupid. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter