• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How did you pick your Medical provider? (A little venting in this thread)

When I moved to a new city, a person I worked with at my new job recommended her doctor, so I went there. That doctor left the practice after a couple years, and so I switched to another in the practice that I had seen once when I was sick on my doctors day off. I have been very pleased with her. My DH's doctor recently retired and closed his practice, so we called my doctor, but she wasn't taking new patients, so he is now seeing a Nurse Practitioner in her office and he really likes her.

The office may not be able to tell you but maybe a little investigative work would allow you to find out where your original PA moved to. If the distance isn’t crazy there’s nothing to say you can’t follow that provider to their new practice. It may take some digging to find out where the PA ended up but if you’re extremely comfortable with that provider it may be worthwhile.

My husband and I have moved about every 4 years or so, as a result I have had to get pretty comfortable in choosing new physicians.

I look based on credentials and background, i.e. where they went to medical school, residencies, fellowships, etc. and board certifications, depending on what I need. I also look at any personal statements or statements about the philosophy of the practice, as I know there are things I am just not going to be receptive to. Once I narrow it down, I determine if they take my insurance (the vast majority of places do so this doesn't usually narrow it down much, if at all). Finally, I look at how easy or difficult it is to make an appointment, I want to ensure that I can make appointments easily if needed, and don't have to wait more than a day or so for an appointment. Also, I prefer if they have an online booking tool so I can book out of normal office hours if something comes up when the office is closed.

I will happily see an NP or PA, but all of my healthcare providers right now are physicians and usually are as I have a complex medical history.

I pick the female provider that is currently at our town’s clinic. They seem to only stay a couple of years. There is a D.O. who has been here long term but he has been my friend since high school and therefore does not do my Pap smears...

When I moved to our community almost 17 years ago I'd been dealing with Gout attacks (which my Dad had for years). Before I moved I was part of Kaiser health, and seemed like it got the Doc of the day most of the time. But one really knew his stuff about Gout, so when I got here and had my 1st attack I knew what to ask. I called three Clinic and I saw three doctors to get to know them and see how they addressed Gout. The one I picked had the most knowledge about Gout. He's probably a year or two from retirement so I have already begun talking and looking for another. Thankfully my Gout is under control and I haven't had an attack in over 12 years, but I will use what I learned and to my research before I jump.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter