How did you tell your family you were pregnant?

I know I’m not pregnant, but I was just wondering how y’all told your family you were pregnant. Just looking for ideas for the future.
Which "family"? My husband was with me watching the pregnancy test. So he knew when I knew.

After we started having the kids, they were all pretty young when the next one came along, so we just told them when they noticed that mom was getting a stomach on her.

My mom & the in-laws, we either told them in person as soon as we knew, or by phone, if they weren't in the area.

I said Mom & Dad, I’m so sorry. I really screwed up, I’m pregnant & due in August. I’m scared to death & I don’t want to drop out of college. I don’t think I should keep this baby.
They said, we will support whatever decision you make. We know you will be a great mother, but it’s your decision.
My son turned 27 this past August.
He is an amazing, smart, kind person & he loves Disney.

1st kid: Went down to their house and told them in person
2nd kid: played telephone tag for 4 hours and finally told my dad, but told him not to tell my mom.
3rd kid: called at 9 am, "You're going to be grandparents again." Them, "No big shock. Ok we are going back to bed" :lmao:

For the first one, my husband was with me, so we found out together. Then, we sent little books to our parents (they lived in different states) about how wonderful new babies are and at the end it said something about how awesome they would be as grandparents. They were both shocked, but happy.

For the second, I took a pregnancy test when my DH was at work, so for a few hours, I was the only one who knew. I went out and bought him a bouquet of pink and blue flowers and left a little note leaning on them that said, “thinking pink or thinking blue?” For our parents that time...we sent them a photo of our oldest looking at my belly and a post-it that said something like “mom says I have to wait until April to meet my new brother or sister.”

For the third, we bought those ornaments you can have personalized at the mall kiosks...it was three little bear cubs, and we wrote the names of our first two and “baby” on the third and gave them to our parents as Christmas gifts. That was my favorite of all of them because 1. We were there in person to see their reaction. 2. I think they thought we were done after our older two, so to watch them open that gift and process what it said was awesome. :)

ETA: we didn’t need to tell any family beyond our parents - word spread fast after that!

First pregnancy, was the first grandchild for my parents. We had found a grandpa pillowcase when packing up my grandparents apartment when they passed, so I gave that to my dad and let him figure it out ;). My father in law we just told him in person, no fun thing.

Second pregnancy I gave my parents a jar of Prego pasta sauce, unfortunately we lost that baby.
Third time we had my son who was then 5 tell them.

My DH can sense when a woman is pregnant and a lot of times the woman herself doesn’t know yet...so basically my DH told me with each of our 3 kids that I was pregnant.

My mom thinks kids are the best way to ruin your life so she wasn’t too happy.

DH’s family live overseas so he called them, they were ecstatic and spread the work quickly

First one, I told my mom over the phone, and she got worried that we couldn’t afford a baby since I was the only one working while DH finished college. She told my dad. After they had time to think about it, they were ecstatic.

I honestly can’t remember when/how we told the parents about the second baby, but they were just as happy as they were with the first.

Well well it was back in 1999... my dh and I were on a date night at Dave and busters and took a photo in some silly photo booth that combines ur pics to make “what ur child will look like”.

Months passed and I was pregnant!

At our big family st Patrick’s Day dinner (both sides were there) we took out the silly photo as a joke. Then when everyone saw it, we pulled out the 8 week sono pic of the little bean and told them this is what our child really looks like.

Second kid. A phone call. Lol

Last edited:
I put a hamburger bun in our oven. When my mom got there I asked her to check the thing in the oven. She pulled it out and said "it's a bun" and I said "where was it?" and she said "in the oven......oh my god you are PREGNANT!!!!!!"

For both of my pregnancies, I told my parents over the phone after the first 3 months had passed. We did Facebook announcements for everyone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter