• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How different is Magic Kingdom at WDW than DLP?

cigarboo

Mouseketeer
My family(DH,me,ds12 & ds14) has done many trips to WDW and will be heading to Paris this summer. We plan on squeezing in DLP for just 1 day and want to get in as much as possible. With such a short amount of time, we will have to skip some attractions that normally would be must see's for us.

For example, Pirates of the Caribbean, if it's just like the one at WDW, then I would skip it, even though we normally would go. Is Space mountain the same? Thunder Mountain looks different, so I think that's a must go. What are the unique attractions only found in DLP?

It's quite different. I'd say DLP is much more like Disneyland in California. However, you should focus on the unique rides. If you are only going to go in the one park, then you should try to do Phantom Manor, walk through the castle and see the dragon underneath, Indiana Jones, Space Mountain (it was in refurb when we went, but I hear it's quite different), Snow White (because it's gone from WDW now), Pirate's is different enough that you should do it plus the area around it with the Skull Rock are cool. We did ride Thunder Mountain and it felt pretty much the same to me. I guess my favorite part of the park is the castle. It's beautiful inside and the addition of the dragon really captured my kids' attention. I wrote about our time at Disneyland Paris in my blog if you are interested. It goes into more detail and may give you some ideas of what to expect! There are three posts about it starting here:

This is day one: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot....00-07:00&max-results=20&start=2&by-date=false

Let me add also that if you are looking for different than WDW, I think I may pick The Studios over Disneyland Park. Get a park hopper ticket so you can go into Disneyland Park and see the castle and maybe ride Space Mountain and Pirate's, but then spend most of your time over in the Studios. They have Crush's Coaster and Remy, which are both unique to Paris, along with CinéMagique and Animagique--a cute little show that your older boys may or may not appreciate;) Tower of Terror is also there along with the Toy Story area that does actually have one ride that the older kids like, RC Racer. Just a suggestion!

Yes, Space Mountain is very different there-- much more intense, but a lot of fun! Phantom Manor is similar, but has a much more cohesive storyline to it that incorperates all of Frontierland. Google the story behind it. It is interesting and a lot of fun to go through with that backstory in mind. Thunder is essentially the same, but executed differently (on it own island and goes underground to get there), so I would agree on it being a must.

Another vote for the castle. You may want to dedicate some time to just exploring the area and taking in all the beautiful details.... and the dragon!

Peter Pan was slightly different (I love Peter Pan) so it is worth a ride to just see if you love this ride in particular. It's a Small World is only different in that they have the football jersey wearing, popcorn eating "Americans" at the end! :rotfl2:

Like PP said, their Studios defintely has more unique attractions that are not at WDW. When we were there though, there were REALLY long lines for Crush's Coater, but it was cute and well worth the wait.

We will be there in August and the CM has told us that Space Mountain will still be closed, due to refurb.

Space Mountain is reopenning in July 24th normally - it's a roller coaster with inversions

Crush and Ratatouille both have single rider lines which might be your best bet as only Ratatouille has FP and they go very fast.

@cigarboo I would defiantly NOT miss Pirates, it is different in DLP. Pirates in Paris is the original ride and has no film references ie , no Captain Jack and there are other differences too.

Like PP the must see unique to Paris are Phantom Manor, which has Boot Hill graveyard, the Castle which has an upstairs walk through part and the dragon underneath, Indiana Jones which is a roller coaster not the jeep on a track dark ride.

Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio all have French audio and there are some differences between the rides in the American Parks.

Another must see is the main night time show called Dreams, which is a music, light, firework animation projected onto the castle. It is on every night at whatever time the park closes, ie if the park closes at 7 pm Dreams starts at 7 pm, if the park closes at 10 pm, Dreams starts at 10 pm. People usually start getting into viewing positions about an hour before park closing time

I would also advise getting a park hopper to do the new ride Ratatouille and Crush, although with just one day you might be pushed for time.

Also you haven't mentioned if you are staying onsite or off site. Staying onsite is defiantly worth it for Paris. Extra Magic Hours are the main reason. In the last few months they have removed the character meets from breakfasts at the hotels. The characters are now on Main Street and Fantasyland during EMH.

Wow! you are all so helpful. Thank you!! We will be staying in Paris, so we'll probably get a "late" start. Hope to get there by 10am. We're getting the 2 park ticket since that's the only one I see on-line. Maybe we will start at Studios and then work our way to DLP for the afternoon parade(what time is that?) So here's my list:

Studios:
Animagique
Cinamagique
Remy
Crush's Coaster
RC Racer in Toy Story area

DLP:
Parade?
Castle + dragon
Space Mountain(if it's open)
Indiana Jones
Phantom Manor
Pirates

Is this doable?

I think it is doable. My husband and I were there for one day in March and we got at least that much done. We did get EMH in the morning, so we had two extra hours. We used every minute the parks were open!

I personally wouldn't waste time with RC Racer and Indiana Jones if you're pressed with time.

They might not be at WDW but they're very basic "carnival" rides with a Disney makeover in my opinion. Also Crush is fun but not worth making your day behind schedule. (The vast majority of it is a standard coaster in the dark. It has Nemo bits similar to Nemo & Friends at EPCOT at the start.)

Your list looks very doable. If I was going only for one day and wanted to get the most of DLRP and its differences my list would be:

Walt Disney Studios:

Ratatouille
Animagique

Disneyland Park:

(Most importantly) Walk around and enjoy how pretty and different Main St and other areas are.
Castle and Dragon
Space Mountain
Big Thunder Mountain
Pirates of the Carribbean
Phantom Manor
Disney Dreams

I'd throw in a character lunch at Inventions also if it were my day. :)

Have a great trip to Europe and a wonderful Disney day.

Studios:
Animagique
Cinamagique
Remy
Crush's Coaster
RC Racer in Toy Story area

DLP:
Parade?
Castle + dragon
Space Mountain(if it's open)
Indiana Jones
Phantom Manor
Pirates

Is this doable?

I think that's doable if you get there as early as possible! But, honestly, because of your boys' ages, I think you should only do CinéMagique. They both take quite a bit of time and I don't think they would care about Animagigue...too young for them. They would however enjoy Armeggedon if you have time.

I disagree with PP and would say Crush's Coaster is a must. We loved it and felt it was very different than anything we have in the states. If it were me, I would send everyone to get in line at Crush first thing while one person runs and tries to get fastpass for Ratatouille. Crush doesn't have FP, so expect to wait an hour or so to do it. We went at park opening and still waited an hour. If you were able to squeeze both of these rides in and then a show, I would think that was good for a half day! Then head over to Disneyland Park for a late afternoon parade and stay for the evening. Indiana Jones is super short, so if you can get FP for it, it won't take up much of your time. I would wait in line for Pirates and Phantom Manor, as they both move fairly quickly. You can try to get FP for Space Mountain. But whatever you do, don't miss the castle!! :)

Hope that helps!

This is all very helpful information. I know we'll miss alot and I don't want to stress about seeing everything. We'll head to Studios first and get a fastpass for Ratatouille. Then we'll pick one or two of the other attractions mentioned by you all. I think we will focus on absorbing the atmosphere and get to DLP for the parade. The Castle will be my top priority and everything else will be bonus. At least I have a short(er) list and we'll see what we can get in.

GO TO CRUSH!!!

Have someone get Ratatouille FP while the rest wait for Crush. Go soon as you can to Crush -- line just gets longer as the day goes on. I know, have a person jump in line? It's normal in DLP, you won't get the stink eye.

And I'm with the others, go inside the castle, then over to wake the dragon. SO COOL!!!

If SM is open I'd definitely ride (closed when we were there) but please ride HM, POTC, BTMRR. BTMRR is absolutely better here! You can definitely skip Star Tours ... it's the old version.

There are some attractions at DLP that I think are a notch above the WDW versions as imagineers are always finding new ways of making attractions more interesting - IMO Big Thunder Mountain and Pirates are two of these and Space Mountain is if you enjoy intense coasters - it is nothing like SM at MK. Also I give a nod to Phantom Manor and It's a Small World is bright and colourful but basically the same. The details at DLRP are worth noting as well. Also I'd give a pass on counter service restaurants and instead try a buffet.

The Studios have Animagique, and Ratatouille which have a nice unique French feel - I also like Light Motors Action for this reason (bilingual European setting) though it is very similar to the Studios version at WDW but somehow feels much more in place in Paris.

All in all - DLRP will have fewer attractions and depending on the wait times you'll be able to see a lot!

BTM and TOT are both better at DLP in my (and my kids) opinion. Crush's coaster is brill, we loved it, although it is in the studios - both are doable in a day if the crowd levels are ok. The parks are right next door to each other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter