How difficult is it renting points 11 months out for a standard view studio at the Poly or BLT in early December?

tarheelalum

DIS Veteran
I want to try to rent points for a standard view studio at the Poly or BLT with one of the points renting businesses. I plan on also adding OKW as my last choice of the three but I'm curious to find out how realistic is it that I can get a standard view studio at either of these two resorts in the first two weeks of December 11 months out?

I want to try to rent points for a standard view studio at the Poly or BLT with one of the points renting businesses. I plan on also adding OKW as my last choice of the three but I'm curious to find out how realistic is it that I can get a standard view studio at either of these two resorts in the first two weeks of December 11 months out?
So standard BLT is a no go for the first two weeks of December. Availability will likely be gone right when the 11 month window opens thus the brokers (because they don’t send out your reservation to owners until after 8am on the 11 month window) won’t be able to get it likely. You’ll have more luck with Lake View at BLT.

As for PVB the standard rooms wont book immediately but will book moderately quickly here for that time frame.The reason they book less quickly is cause it is a large number of studios in that category.

The issue with going through a broker
  1. Your reservation won’t be sent out until all your days can be booked. So I’d longer than 7 nights the reservation won’t go out until 11 months out from the check in date + (length of stay - 7)
  2. The brokers are not first come first serve. So a list gets sent to owners and they just get to choose what is convenient for them
  3. The issue may will not always be availability but rather not enough people renting points out. This is true as the BLT waitlist and PVB waitlist (especially PVB) are extremely long. The brokers really don’t compensate enough so many owners try to rent points themselves
  4. You’ll find OKW to be a safer option to get something that PVB or BLT simply cause it’s larger and less people request to rent there. You may also want to consider SSR as the refurb (especially if you do preferred) will be fairly far along.

The first two weeks of December are the highest DVC demand of the year, it should be noted. Many renters do not know that.

You should try finding a private party to rent for you. You can have them walk the reservation and expect to pay a slight premium. Well worth it as the view will be cheaper. Best of luck!

You should try finding a private party to rent for you. You can have them walk the reservation and expect to pay a slight premium. Well worth it as the view will be cheaper. Best of luck!

A slight premium to walk? I don't know about that. Not when to get BLT Standard they need to already be walking it right now for 2020.

A slight premium to walk? I don't know about that. Not when to get BLT Standard they need to already be walking it right now for 2020.

I mean I don’t follow closely as I normally do BWV over December and you can usually get lucky one of days after thanksgiving to snag and then start walking. But yeah people are walking more now a days.

I was saying slight premium as anything larger you can just stay at poly or lake view as point chart isn’t that drastic

I would not mind going with a private party but my vacations days off work are not completely known at 11 months out. I will get the days I want off work with a 80-90% likelihood but since its not 100% I want to go with the renting business that offers insurance for a fee so I cancel if I find out later in the year that I cannot get the time off of work.

Last edited:
I would not mind going with a private party but my vacations days off work are not completely known at 11 months out. I will get the days I want off work with a 80-90% likelihood but since its not 100% I want to go with the renting business that offers insurance for a fee so I cancel if I find out in September that I cannot get the time off of work.
A lot of those insurance policies cover medical emergencies and such. Cancel for any reason policies will be tough to find and definitely cost more possibly negating a lot of the dvc savings. If you’re dates aren’t 100% set a dvc rental probably isn’t the best option for you. Getting a room directly through Disney has a much more liberal cancellation policy.

A lot of those insurance policies cover medical emergencies and such. Cancel for any reason policies will be tough to find and definitely cost more possibly negating a lot of the dvc savings. If you’re dates aren’t 100% set a dvc rental probably isn’t the best option for you. Getting a room directly through Disney has a much more liberal cancellation policy.

The rental business I'm going through offers a cancel for any reason policy based on $ 1.90 per point which for a week makes it less than 300 dollars at the Poly. If I have to cancel it almost doubles to just under 600 dollars but that is still way cheaper than a week at the poly which going through Disney with tax would be double the cost of a week there with a DVC rental with the 1.90 per point added insurance. Even if I have to pay the added insurance costs, it's still a far better deal and the only way I would stay at the Poly with their ridiculous rates through Disney.

The rental business I'm going through offers a cancel for any reason policy based on $ 1.90 per point which for a week makes it less than 300 dollars at the Poly. If I have to cancel it almost doubles to just under 600 dollars but that is still way cheaper than a week at the poly which going through Disney with tax would be double the cost of a week there with a DVC rental with the 1.90 per point added insurance. Even if I have to pay the added insurance costs, it's still a far better deal and the only way I would stay at the Poly with their ridiculous rates through Disney.

But the key is that you'll have to pay for it at all, where Disney's cancel policy would have you out 0 dollars. If you might need to cancel you might be better off at a mod with Disney's generous cancellation.

If you’re dead set on poly then yes, this would be a much more affordable route even though you’d risk losing $3.90 per point if you cancel. It sounds like this is definitely the route you want to go so I’d suggest taking a look at the charts here for availability. https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
You may have a chance at poly if the agency can find a renter who is willing to get on right at 8am at 11 months to make the reservation. It will be tough to find but there’s a small chance. BLT standard is definitely out. OKW is possible.

If you’re dead set on poly then yes, this would be a much more affordable route even though you’d risk losing $3.90 per point if you cancel. It sounds like this is definitely the route you want to go so I’d suggest taking a look at the charts here for availability. https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/
You may have a chance at poly if the agency can find a renter who is willing to get on right at 8am at 11 months to make the reservation. It will be tough to find but there’s a small chance. BLT standard is definitely out. OKW is possible.

Thank you for the chart. It really does look like I picked the worst weeks possible to go to WDW. I know the Rivera wasn't open when those charts were created but now that it has been open for a while, what do you think availability would be like there for a preferred studio during the first two weeks of December? I've read that the contracts were not selling well there do to resale restrictions so I was wondering if availability might be greater there as a result.

Thank you for the chart. It really does look like I picked the worst weeks possible to go to WDW. I know the Rivera wasn't open when those charts were created but now that it has been open for a while, what do you think availability would be like there for a preferred studio during the first two weeks of December? I've read that the contracts were not selling well there do to resale restrictions so I was wondering if availability might be greater there as a result.
Availability (i.e. measured as rooms lasting longer) could likely be higher at Riviera because of how declarations work. An issue you will run into is the number of owners willing to rent points at a new resort they just bought into (and less likely to have stayed) will be lower. Availability will be higher in preferred (which you are interested in) than the standard there because preferred is probably 75%-80% of the studios. Currently the waitlists aren't very long at Riviera with the brokers.

Is there a reason you aren't considering BLT Lake View? That is point wise similar to the Riviera preferred (slightly cheaper) and Standard at PVB. The rooms should last longer during these weeks; however, you'll need the reservation lined up within the first week your 11th month window (or else your odds are basically 0 at that point).

You might also considering searching for a confirmed reservation for that week once you know positively that you will be able to go. Since you're throwing in OKW as a back up for PVB and BLT and now Riviera it seems like the resort may not be super important even if you have a preference?

Riviera has not been open a while. It has been open less than 24 hours. So it won't even be at a year for next December

Well it’s actually a lovely time to be in WDW it’s just a horrible time to try to rent DVC. The crowds won’t be too bad, DVC busy season doesn’t exactly follow the park busy season. Rivera is a complicated question. Until more is sold there will be a lot of cash inventory for Disney to book directly, but not necessarily a lot of rental inventory. However, when more is sold I expect that to follow the same trend as the other resorts and be popular that time of year.

Has it sell out yet?
No. Selling out would actually be easier for rentals right now. Only the rooms that have been “declared” are available for rental by Rivera and other dvc owners. Until more is sold the rooms that have not yet been declared Disney rents for cash on their regular WDW reservation website.

No. Selling out would actually be easier for rentals right now. Only the rooms that have been “declared” are available for rental by Rivera and other dvc owners. Until more is sold the rooms that have not yet been declared Disney rents for cash on their regular WDW reservation website.

From those charts you posted it looks like we would be better off going the 1st two weeks of November instead. It looks far easier to rent points then but how are the crowds in comparison to the 1st two weeks in December? And let me say thanks for all of the info you and the others have provided. It is greatly apricated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter