How do I buy SSR direct?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question. We're looking into buying at SSR. We'd be first time owners. I looked on the Disney DVC website and only see Aulani and Riviera offered. Do I need to call instead? I don't want them hounding us until we've made up our mind about buying direct.

I'm sorry if this is a really dumb question. We're looking into buying at SSR. We'd be first time owners. I looked on the Disney DVC website and only see Aulani and Riviera offered. Do I need to call instead? I don't want them hounding us until we've made up our mind about buying direct.
They won’t hound you. Just call and talk to a guide and tell them you’re interested in buying SSR and they’ll help you. They may tell you there’s a waiting list and but you can tell them how much you want to buy. The guides (at least mine) was not pushy and was very informative. I bought SSR and BLT direct earlier this year.

They won’t hound you. Just call and talk to a guide and tell them you’re interested in buying SSR and they’ll help you. They may tell you there’s a waiting list and but you can tell them how much you want to buy. The guides (at least mine) was not pushy and was very informative. I bought SSR and BLT direct earlier this year.

Thanks! I requested an information packet a couple of years ago and received several calls afterward, but I'll try again. Is 150 points the minimum they'll sell?

Thanks! I requested an information packet a couple of years ago and received several calls afterward, but I'll try again. Is 150 points the minimum they'll sell?
This is where I don’t know if I have the correct info since I bought resale first before I added on direct. But I think for new owners the min is 125 points. At least that’s what will get you your blue card status. If you’re already an owner then you can add on smaller contracts.. as low as 25 points if paying cash.

When I bought direct, the Guide tried to fast-talk me with numbers to get me to buy the newest resort (which would pay him more commission, I imagine) rather than the old sold-out resort that I wanted. So be prepared for the Guide to tell you that it would be more cost-effective for you to buy Riviera because the contract will expire in the year 2070 (as opposed to SSR for which the contract will expire in the year 2054).

You need to remember why you want SSR rather than Riviera. You don't need to tell the Guide your reasoning, but you need to know what it is so that you stick to your guns.

(For example, perhaps you will be 90 years old by the time SSR expires and you don't have any kids to leave the contract to, so you don't really care about the 16 extra years you would get on the Riviera contract, but you will get that argument from the Guide anyway.)

This is where I don’t know if I have the correct info since I bought resale first before I added on direct. But I think for new owners the min is 125 points. At least that’s what will get you your blue card status. If you’re already an owner then you can add on smaller contracts.. as low as 25 points if paying cash.

For information about purchasing direct from Disney, I go to DVCNews.com
And click on CURRENT DIRECT PRICING on the left side of the screen
The list that pops up is divided into 2 categories: New Member Purchase, and Current Member Add On Purchase. It lists the amount per point and the point minimum for purchase.

Thank you all for your help. One last question. If I buy resale first and then add some points direct (less than 125), can I still get the blue card?

Thank you all for your help. One last question. If I buy resale first and then add some points direct (less than 125), can I still get the blue card?
You have to purchase the 125 direct for the blue card. Resales don’t count toward that number.
You need to accumulate 125 direct to qualify for the Blue Card, but you don't have to buy them all at once. However, if you don't, the quantity to qualify may change and you would have to meet the new criteria.

When I bought direct, the Guide tried to fast-talk me with numbers to get me to buy the newest resort (which would pay him more commission, I imagine) rather than the old sold-out resort that I wanted. So be prepared for the Guide to tell you that it would be more cost-effective for you to buy Riviera because the contract will expire in the year 2070 (as opposed to SSR for which the contract will expire in the year 2054).

You need to remember why you want SSR rather than Riviera. You don't need to tell the Guide your reasoning, but you need to know what it is so that you stick to your guns.

(For example, perhaps you will be 90 years old by the time SSR expires and you don't have any kids to leave the contract to, so you don't really care about the 16 extra years you would get on the Riviera contract, but you will get that argument from the Guide anyway.)
That’s interesting because that was not my experience at all. But maybe it’s because I already purchased resale so guide was just focused on what I wish to buy. She then offered me info about price increases so I was the one that went ahead and bought more points willingly. 😅

That’s interesting because that was not my experience at all. But maybe it’s because I already purchased resale so guide was just focused on what I wish to buy. She then offered me info about price increases so I was the one that went ahead and bought more points willingly. 😅

The first contract I purchased was direct from Disney. I had been watching the resale listings for a year, and did not see what I wanted. I was planning to go to Disney and I didn't want to wait any longer to buy because I wanted to be staying on my own points, so I bought direct.

Maybe I should have mentioned that in my prior post.

We recently purchased 150 points direct from SSR. Our guide was really nice, but he was doing his job by mentioning Riviera as an option, and upselling us to more points to get a bigger discount per point. I don't fault him at all for any of that, and he was super willing to sell us the 150 that we could afford to the resort we wanted. I just wish all sales people everywhere were like that.

Are there any special offers when you buy SSR direct right now? Or only for the new resorts they’re currently selling? We already own there resale and direct, but current resale pricing has me debating just going direct to get exactly what I want.

I didn't even call, I used the online chat on the sales site, on a Saturday. The Guide sent me information to address my question then called me later at a time that worked for me, after I confirmed I was interested in moving forward. I wanted BWK points and she didn't give me any pressure to buy a different resort. She did provide pricing for other resorts when I asked, and the discounts. In fact she was like "there is an incentive for 150 points, but you sound like you only need 125 points so that wouldn't make sense for you".
When I was ready she did the contract and took my credit card, my points were there later that day.

Honestly it was the most low-pressure sales process I've ever had, especially for a timeshare.

Are there any special offers when you buy SSR direct right now? Or only for the new resorts they’re currently selling? We already own there resale and direct, but current resale pricing has me debating just going direct to get exactly what I want.
I just called and asked about SSR. Incentives are $-3 a point once you go to 150pts. That’s a savings of $450 or about $162 a point instead of $165.
150pts with current incentives $24,300
Not sure about any other resort since I was solely interested in SSR.

I just called and asked about SSR. Incentives are $-3 a point once you go to 150pts. That’s a savings of $450 or about $162 a point instead of $165.
150pts with current incentives $24,300
Not sure about any other resort since I was solely interested in SSR.
I think those are new member incentives. Existing members get $6 off a point at 150 points and it comes out to $23,850.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter