How Do Kids Today Get Introduced to the "Old" Disney Characters?

cbg1027

Florida Girl
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I went with this one so I hope it's ok here!

I'm 24. I remember watching stuff like the Mickey Mouse Club and cartoons starring Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, etc. when I was little.
Are those kind of shows even on TV anymore? How did you children get introduced to "old school" Disney?
What about rides - like Winnie the Pooh or Dumbo? Do you try to have your kids watch the movies first so they recognize what they're seeing?

My girls know most of the "old" characters from Mickey Mouse Playhouse on Disney Channel. Only they're more updated now.

I also read to them a lot, and we have a lot of Disney books so they get to know the characters from there as well.

You can buy collections of the old classic cartoons at Best Buy, and other places...they come in commemorative silver box.

My kids love the old Mickey Mouse Club DVD's, especially Spin and Marty and the Hardee Boys. We have most of the old cartoons, they would rather watch those than the new ones on TV.:thumbsup2

as for the rides--- we watch youtube. I just want my GD to be prepared and show her the "scarey" stuff is all part of mickey magic.

We watch tons of old movies--and read the classics that come with the movies.
She is 3 now but is well prepared.

Playhouse Disney has Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger & Pooh. The one and only TV show DD1 watches is MMCH, because DD8 wanted to make sure she knew who Mickey was before our trip.

We also have quite a collection of Disney movies from Dumbo and Snow White up through Cars and Nemo, so the kids get to know the classics that way as well. And Mickey's Christmas Carol is an annual part of our holiday decorating rituals.

I've actually had quite a hard time getting my 8 year old son to watch many of the Disney classics. Today's animation is so sophisticated that he acts like I did when my Mom made me watch black & white cartoons from the 1940s. Of course, it doesn't help that a lot of the classics are about princesses, which he says are "gross." Peter Pan was a winner, though, of course.

DD used to LOVE House of Mouse. Unfortunately, Disney took it off the air. I wish I'd have known, I would've DVR'd them.

You Tube....old and new cartoons. Mickey and the gang. This is how I introduced my son to all character.:goodvibes

I know my best friend's son watches MMCH like it's going out of style. He is OBSESSED. I walked in with Mickey's Christmas Carol on DVD and the kid attacked me. I've gotten so many hugs from him since I think I've lost weight-he's squeezed it right out!

My collection of Disney movies grows constantly so when we do have children they'll be introduced to the new and the old....and the getting old.

My DD2 does the whole "roll call" from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. She knows and likes all of those characters. We haven't had much luck with others, though she did seem to pay attention to some of Cinderella recently.

The other day, in an effort to introduce other characters, I gave her a choice of Finding Nemo or Sleeping Beauty. She picked Sleeping Beauty. But when I motioned to put it in the DVD player, she yelled, "No! Mouse!!"

However, she did pick up the Fun and Fancy Free DVD and seemed interested in it. And I have a t-shirt with a really old version of Mickey, and she correctly identified him even though he barely resembles the Mickey of today.

We also bought a "Sing Along Songs" DVD, which shows all kinds of characters romping through Disneyland. That has helped, and I understand there is a DVD of characters in Animal Kingdom and another that has movie clips. Could be a good way to introduce the history of Disney.

Chad

Before we left for our last trip, I spent the summer renting Disney movies from the library...Dumbo, Winnie the Pooh, Sword in the Stone, and others that had to do with some rides. Also, we used DVR for some that were being played on the Disney channel. Target also sells the old Mickey cartoons for pretty cheap. My kids love watching them.

Walt Disney Treasures
-These are simply awesome.
Classic Cartoon Favorites

Most of the older DVDs like Dumbo have silly symphonies clips with them.

Before we took our then 2 year old on her first Disney trip, we introduced her to a lot of the characters through books. At our local library we were able to get almost all of the Disney stories. We did also rent some movies and watch some of the shows, but we found the books best, especially for intense movies like the Lion King and Bambi.

This is exactly the reason the marketing geniuses at Disney take their 14 core classic titles* and re-release them on DVD every seven years with marketing campaigns. This way, every child is guaranteed to be exposed to a marketing campaign for Disney's core classics between the ages of 4 and 11. Just in case anybody ever wondered why The Lion King goes into the Disney Vault and The Aristocats doesn't.

*Snow White, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady & The Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalamations, The Jungle Book, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King.

For the few months before we last went, we watched a bunch of the classic movies that were related to the rides. Things like Swiss Family Robinson, Song of the South, etc. The kids got a lot more out of the rides when they'd recently seen the movie on which it was based.

When I was little, which was not all that long ago, you couldn't make me STOP watching the disney classics, and all disney movies in general. I would watch them on a loop all day, and eventually my mother had to make a rule that could only watch each movie once per day. Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella and Snow White were some of my favorites.
As for Mickey and Friends, I'm not sure how I knew them, but today they have the playhouse disney show which gives the characters a new CGI look. They bring them to the next generation! :)
For the rides: I didn't know what was coming whatsoever the first time I went. I didn't need seeing them or hearing about them to know that they were magical, I could feel this completely on my own even as a 6 year old.

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, but I went with this one so I hope it's ok here!

I'm 24. I remember watching stuff like the Mickey Mouse Club and cartoons starring Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Pluto, etc. when I was little.
Are those kind of shows even on TV anymore? How did you children get introduced to "old school" Disney?
What about rides - like Winnie the Pooh or Dumbo? Do you try to have your kids watch the movies first so they recognize what they're seeing?

While the early cartoons are difficult to come by these days (though you can see them ALL over WDW...) Mickey Mouse Clubhouse harbors Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Clarabelle, Pete, Chip and Dale, Donald, Daisy, and Figaro.

I'll show DS a good amount of "old" Disney - I have some of the Treasures (classic Pluto, Donald, Mickey, Goofy, Silly Symphonies), Dumbo, Sword in the Stone, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, etc. You just have to sit down and watch them. He watches Lion King and Bambi with my MIL, and he watches Cars, Nemo, Peter Pan, SitS, MI etc with my dad. We all generally use the movies as family time.

Try your local public library. We're currently "studying" for our trip in a month by checking out free movies from the library. The problem is that people don't take care of them and many are scratched, so sometimes you miss part of the movie but it's free. Luckily the movies we own are in much better condition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter