• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do we feel about late August?

sarahonmainst

Earning My Ears
There is a chance that my husband and I will be able to go to Disney in August this year which is totally new territory for us. We are usually locked into going during the summer or the first week in October due to my school schedule (yay for teachers!).

How is Disney the last few weeks of August? Crowd levels? Temperature? I feel like crowd levels wouldn't be awful because students would be heading back to school. I've heard Florida is really hot in August. Is it hotter than it would be in July?

Crowds won't be quite summer level, but will still be thick. Weather is still HOT. Really HOT. And no break in the humidity at night. Rope drop is your best friend.

My wife and I visited WDW this past August and it was hot. However even with the mandatory mask we did not find it to be unbearable, in fact we had a great time. Crowd levels will be somewhat greater this August than last simply because last August the parks had just reopened. If you do decide to go during the later part of August have a great time,

We used to go to WDW the last week of August every year (skipped 2020, unfortunately). Yes, it's really hot, but I wouldn't say it's hotter than July. We went mid-July in 2019 and it was just as hot then as I remember any August. Our strategy was always to get out early in the AM, take a long afternoon break and then go back out around the time the sun was going down. It usually rains every afternoon as well and it's hurricane season. The heat definitely impacted how much time we spent in the parks, but the crowds (at least during the last week of August) were always quite low. We also enjoyed being able to go to MNSSHP when they started holding it in late August (not sure what's happening this year). Is it the best time to go, weather-wise? No. But if you can strategize around the heat and rain, you are typically rewarded with lower crowds.

Late August can be great, as long as you're prepared for it. I'm a teacher so we're pretty much slaves to the school schedule, however, where I live, we don't go back to school until after Labor Day, so that last week of August has always been a sweet spot for us because most of the country is already back in school. Is the weather terrible? It can be, but plan on breaks indoors and bring ponchos, cooling towels, and a portable fan and it really isn't so bad. The trade off in crowds has always made the weather more bearable for us. This year is anyone's guess, but late August also usually gives you the opportunity to go to MNSSHP with lower crowds.

Crowds will be there but not as busy as earlier in the summer. Be prepared for melt-your-face-off hot. If someone is unable to handle the heat I would recommend going at another time.

I can take heat, it was the humidity that killed me last August. Add in your mask . . . yeah, it was not for the faint of heart. We knew that going in, and we made it work -- just know it does take away from the enjoyment on some level. Esp with lines that are out in the sun that typically aren't due to social distancing.

If either one of you cannot take the heat then I would wait for a different time of year.

Very hot, and sometimes very wet! Torrential downpours are not uncommon, and some outdoor attractions will get shut down at that point, especially if lightning is involved. August is our usual time to go, so we are used to the heat, humidity and downpours. Pack lots of shoes.

So, we live here and yeah, it's pretty hot. Another point to take into account is it's peak hurricane season. Activity tends to pick up in September and October but you can have one (or more) at any time. Rain every day around 3:00-4:00 that doesn't really cool things off. Crowds I leave to someone else as we really don't go into the parks any longer. Hate masks but that's me. Also just too much closed or not happening to lure us in. Just info to help you decide. No recommendation one way or the other.

Cannot speak for crowds, because who really knows these days?

As others have said, it's hot. August temps are not the time I want to wear a mask all day. So a pass for me this year.
But we went every year from 2010-2019 and we enjoyed it. We just got used to the heat.

With the exception of this past year, we've being doing end of August trips for the past few years now. In all honestly, it's hot, but to me, it feels no different than any summer month anywhere. We're from NY and agree that we actually feel more comfortable down in Fl during August. The crowds also have always been pretty low as well. The key to enjoying yourself is to take it easy, make plenty of dining reservations and make time for the pool.

There is a chance that my husband and I will be able to go to Disney in August this year which is totally new territory for us. We are usually locked into going during the summer or the first week in October due to my school schedule (yay for teachers!).

How is Disney the last few weeks of August? Crowd levels? Temperature? I feel like crowd levels wouldn't be awful because students would be heading back to school. I've heard Florida is really hot in August. Is it hotter than it would be in July?

We’ve gone manny times in August and survived ok but there is no way I could do it in a mask. Here now and 84 with low humidity was tough enough, went through 3 masks today. I wouldn’t go in August with a mask if it was free.

We’ve gone in August and July. Yes, it’s hot. But depending on where you live - it’s not unbearable. This is coming from residents of the northeast. If you’re prepared and use your time wisely it should be a non issue. The crowds are TYPICALLY lower but I’m not sure if I would count on that this year. Overall, Labor Day weekend is our favorite time to go.

So, we live here and yeah, it's pretty hot. Another point to take into account is it's peak hurricane season. Activity tends to pick up in September and October but you can have one (or more) at any time. Rain every day around 3:00-4:00 that doesn't really cool things off. Crowds I leave to someone else as we really don't go into the parks any longer. Hate masks but that's me. Also just too much closed or not happening to lure us in. Just info to help you decide. No recommendation one way or the other.

With how much crowds have increased since last summer, this summer is going to be miserable between masks, crowds and heat. Last summer they were much lower and people could accomplish alot quick and then head back to hotel to swim and such. If hotels start getting more people, then pools will hit capacity in the summer also. Saw a couple reports over this past weekend of pool capacity at hotels.

There's also the potential for hurricanes. We had an end of August trip that started out really hot. We left September 1, and 2 days later they closed the parks early for a hurricane.

We’ve been to the parks in Aug and of course it’s hot! (We’re from Minnesota so over 60 can be shorts weather for us) Even with the heat, if you have a good plan you’ll have a great time. Cooling clothes were our friend! One nice CM told us to go to any ice chest and ask for ice to wrap in our clothes. Place on back of neck and it’s heavenly. Of course lots of water too! We went to lots of QS to get free glasses of ice water

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter