• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Do You Afford It??

Miss 50s

Earning My Ears
I've been checking out flight prices Eric an it looks as though ill need at least $10k just for those for the 4 of us. I was reading an old thread about how much your trip cost and it seems around 30k is the norm. Do you just save each week? I'm really determined to go to DL in a few years so I've started selling some things I don't use anymore and will pop all that money in a high interest savings account. Ill have to put some aside each week too plus we have our loose change tin.

Any other tips for saving for a dream holiday apart from waiting for that ever elusive lotto win lol!

I've found that being able to go out of school holidays is a bonus. Depending on how old the kiddies are it may be worth pulling them out of school. Even a week at the end of term makes a huge difference. Likewise the US holidays the prices can go through the roof.

Our trip in December for DH, me and DD (will be 11) and Alice the bear - yes Alice is an important part - is about
$2800 flights
$4000 16 nights accom. We could have gone cheaper, we're getting vacation rentals for the most part inc kitchens etc
$630 Hertz car hire for the two weeks including all those weird insurances that you've never heard of before.

I've put aside/saving about $10k of spending including food, entry fees, etc, and even then I doubt that we will spend it.we haven't spent anywhere near that in the past.

We are 8 nights LA then 8 nights at DL

we go on the last day before fares go up, the day after they would have been about $3k more total. DD is homeschooled (that's a story for another day) so holidays aren't an issue but we wanted to see Christmas! If she was at regular school it would have been about 2 or 3 weeks out of school.

I've been checking out flight prices Eric an it looks as though ill need at least $10k just for those for the 4 of us. I was reading an old thread about how much your trip cost and it seems around 30k is the norm. Do you just save each week? I'm really determined to go to DL in a few years so I've started selling some things I don't use anymore and will pop all that money in a high interest savings account. Ill have to put some aside each week too plus we have our loose change tin.

Any other tips for saving for a dream holiday apart from waiting for that ever elusive lotto win lol!

30k seems like a lot.
Of course, how much you need depends on your style of travel (budget vs luxury) and how long your holiday is. But I think that around 3k per week (excluding airfares) is a pretty good starting point.

I find it easier to budget by paying for my holiday in parts.
It doesn't make a lot of sense, but while I'm not that good at saving money, I am good at paying off debt. Every month or so I would charge part of my trip to the Visa and then pay it off as quickly as possible before it incurred interest. I think that psychologically, when I have debt to pay off, I tend to tighten the purse strings more than if I'm just trying to save. Probably not the most responsible way of going about it, but it works for me.

We have 5 of us going this year and our airfares are not that much $7700ish and you will have 2 children's fares of course it's all Dependant on your dates. It really depends on how long your going for and what your going to do since it costs so much for our airfares especially from the west we like to maximize our time there we also complexly clothe our kids whilst we are there it's so much cheaper than here!
Honestly if we don't have a trip in the planning we don't put the money away we should it's so much more motivation for me to have part of it booked and forces me to save;)

I just worked out how much our trip is costing us. There are five of us and we're doing it for right around $9000. That's for 15 nights accommodation (1 night LA, 4 nights Vegas, 2 nights Grand Californian, 8 nights HoJos), return flights with Air New Zealand, car hire for the Vegas-Anaheim, 10 day DL passes and the DL express back to the airport. We only paid $12 in taxes for our flights from LA to Vegas (frequent flyer points).

We still have to organise a babysitter for the night of our friends' wedding, so that's another $200 or so, $200 or so for Travel Insurance and $600 for three passports and we're up to $10 000. Still, I think it's pretty bloody good for a two week holiday overseas for a family of five :cool1:

Save, save, save. Work out a budget or rather how much the trip will cost and then how long it will take to save. It is surprising how much money can be wasted on small purchases (coffee, magazines, takeaway, chocolate bar, treat for the kids at the shops). If you have a savings plan then you tend to be much more careful. We are averaging $20-$30k for a family of 4 for 3-4 weeks. That's including with extra airfares to Orlando and other places plus a cruise ad all spending money. We allocate $10k for spending for the time we are there. This covers food, shopping, tipping and incidentals. All flights, accommodation, tickets, car hire/transfers are paid in advanced.

Save, save, save. Work out a budget or rather how much the trip will cost and then how long it will take to save. It is surprising how much money can be wasted on small purchases (coffee, magazines, takeaway, chocolate bar, treat for the kids at the shops). If you have a savings plan then you tend to be much more careful. We are averaging $20-$30k for a family of 4 for 3-4 weeks. That's including with extra airfares to Orlando and other places plus a cruise ad all spending money. We allocate $10k for spending for the time we are there. This covers food, shopping, tipping and incidentals. All flights, accommodation, tickets, car hire/transfers are paid in advanced.

YES! We don't have many little expenses like this at all now. We also have a change moneybox and you'd be surprised at how much money accumulates in there :)

Airfares really depend on when you travel. We have just flown over in May and fly home in September and our flights were $2250 return for two of us. So you could get 4 of you for $4500 if you went at a cheaper time. Then accommodation on top of that, depends on where you stay. Plenty of decent places for around Disneyland for $150 or so a night (cheaper sometimes if you get a deal), many including breakfast, some even including a light dinner a few nights a week. For two weeks, that's just over $2000 for accommodation, that's $6500 for airfares for 4 and two weeks accommodation. So you don't have to have $30,000. You could do it cheaper if you wanted. All depends on the time of year you travel, where you stay and how you much shopping you do.

I just reread my advice about using the Visa and realised how irresponsible it might sound. I know people who have got into a lot of financial trouble using credit cards to pay for luxuries.
I just wanted to add that I would never pay for holidays this way if I wasn't confident in paying the debt off before fees started setting in. I've never paid a cent in credit card interest, but have earnt hundreds of dollars in Visa rewards just for using the card in the first place.

Other ways I save money for holidays is by spending very little on myself. I almost never go clothes shopping, I dye my own hair, I own one handbag, only about 4 pairs of shoes, and I'm still wearing the $200 engagement ring that my DH struggled to pay for when we were poor and penniless. Occasionally he mentions replacing it with a more expensive one, but I always say "Rather than spending money on something that reminds me OF you, I'd rather spend the money doing things WITH you". Or when I have friends comment on how lucky I am to travel overseas at least once a year, I usually point out their manicured nails, new jacket, or expensive jewelry and say that we just have different priorities.

To the OP, decide what things in life you are prepared to sacrifice for this holiday and remove them from the equation. You might be surprised by how quickly you are able to save.

Other ways I save money for holidays is by spending very little on myself. I almost never go clothes shopping, I dye my own hair, I own one handbag, only about 4 pairs of shoes, and I'm still wearing the $200 engagement ring that my DH struggled to pay for when we were poor and penniless. Occasionally he mentions replacing it with a more expensive one, but I always say "Rather than spending money on something that reminds me OF you, I'd rather spend the money doing things WITH you". Or when I have friends comment on how lucky I am to travel overseas at least once a year, I usually point out their manicured nails, new jacket, or expensive jewelry and say that we just have different priorities.

To the OP, decide what things in life you are prepared to sacrifice for this holiday and remove them from the equation. You might be surprised by how quickly you are able to save.

+1 The little things can and do add up. We can go every couple of years, though if I wanted to cut back further in some areas to go a little more frequently I probably could... It is just what works for us and our balance

Hey WanderlustNZ, I'm just like you! Minimum spend always!

No massages, no waxing, once a year haircuts, no takeaway coffee, no fancy clothes, no jewellery fetish, average car/house, only free movies/video games (but we do have Foxtel), no gambling, drinking or smoking & no manis/pedis.

We eat out as a family for Sunday lunch, my kids go to a private school and I have just spent up big time on Creative Memories scrapbooking pages but other than vacation - we don't spend money!!!! (My business pays for my mobile phone and petrol - $200 total per month).

We spend wisely on groceries and buy in bulk or on sale items. We do try to spend ONLY on our credit card to earn Qantas FF points and ALWAYS pay bill on time. Don't impulse buy chocs or flavoured waters at the petrol station, don't give in to weariness and order pizza just put aside what you can into a separate account each week. Make it an account that you do not have internet access for because then it will be a hassle to withdraw from.

Good luck will come with persistence!:wizard:

I'm another who doesn't spend much on herself which helps saving for trips. Our last two trip were big and we saved for 2 years before one, and another 3 years before the second. But that was before we had a mortgage, though we were saving for a house deposit and paid for our wedding as well. Now I'm just having a small amount put into a separate long term account for another trip hopefully in a few years time. This amount is essentially my 'weekly spending' money because I don't spend anything week to week other than when DH and I are out.

We did spend about $25-$30k on our last trip for the two of us BUT that was a six week trip including stops in LA, San Diego, Vegas, a road trip through New Mexico, New York, 6 days at WDW, a week tour through Cuba & 3 nights in an all inclusive resort in Cancun. We splurged a bit (ie stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas, in Times Square in NYC, hired jetskis in San Diego, ate out every single meal, gambled, went to a few shows, did quite a bit of shopping, etc). So we could very easily have done our trip for less than $20k, particularly if we'd only gone for 4 weeks instead of 6. And if we'd stayed in the US instead of paying more to fly to Mexico & Cuba we could have done it for quite a bit less again.

Thanks for everyone's replies :) I am one who does spend on clothes for me and the kids and coffees at play dates. There's a lot I could cut back on when I look at everything.

Unfortunately we have to go mid December as DP does fifo and has his 4 weeks off then so I'm guessing that's peak time boo!

We also put money aside every pay, sell things, children put any money they are given away for spending money. We have 'Disney Night In', try and have at least one under $5 dinner a week and generally stick to a budget.

In terms of working on a budget, I always work on 1k per day of the trip which includes absolutely everything - flights, accom, insurance, all food, shop shop shopping, tickets to shows and sporting events, transfers, every single thing. And I have always come home with spare money. This might seem like a big budget to some but we do not scrimp on a thing whilst away.

If you want to pull in the budget from that, I think it would be quite easy. As I said, we don't go without a thing while away.

With that said, when saving for a trip, I never buy coffees out, ever. We don't get takeaway, try to minimise spending in as many areas as possible whilst still enjoying our lives. When you have a holiday to look forward to it's amazing how motivated you become.

If you could fly out around 8 or 9 Dec the flights would be slightly cheaper than after that in Dec.

Good luck with the saving.

Nothing to add to the others except that for 3 adults since DD turned 18 we spend around $12k on a 2 and a bit week trip to US and anywhere from $14k-$18k on a 6 week Europe trip depending on how many treats/more upmarket accom/meals out we do. We also cost it out roughly prior to confirm how much we need=when we can go (eg next year/year after). We no longer have a mortgage which is a big plus but I no longer work full-time. We also make savings like only a few restuarant meals out each year for special celebs. I do pay for hairdresser but span it out to 10 week intervals and a cheaper salon. Don't do the girly things. Also yes, if you can leave around 8 or 9 December you beat a huge jump in airfare costs. Happy planning.

I guess the thing to remember is when your booking airfares from WA you have to add $500 more per person.
Miss 50s does your DH collect FF points with his FIFO job?

Nothing to add to the others except that for 3 adults since DD turned 18 we spend around $12k on a 2 and a bit week trip to US and anywhere from $14k-$18k on a 6 week Europe trip depending on how many treats/more upmarket accom/meals out we do. We also cost it out roughly prior to confirm how much we need=when we can go (eg next year/year after). We no longer have a mortgage which is a big plus but I no longer work full-time. We also make savings like only a few restuarant meals out each year for special celebs. I do pay for hairdresser but span it out to 10 week intervals and a cheaper salon. Don't do the girly things. Also yes, if you can leave around 8 or 9 December you beat a huge jump in airfare costs. Happy planning.

Wow Wendy i am jealous of how cheap you are able to travel :)

WAMUMOF4 - I am in awe of how people here manage to save the $ they do based on the (to me) incredible amounts quoted spent and with large families of 4 or 5 or 6 (like you have) and still be able to travel so frequently. I thought we lived fairly frugal lives and have the advantage of no mortgage now but so many here really outdo me :worship:

• book flights early
  • travel out of school hols
  • pay it off monthly if you can
  • take lunch to work (this has saved us $60 a week pp)
  • buy a coffee machine- saves $$$$$ a week in bought coffee
  • go thru your wardrobe...as I have found 4 new skirts I didn't know I had still with tags, so that's helped my winter wardrobe this year and saved me $300.
  • don't go shopping if bored (saved me $1000's this year)
and most of all, dont feel guilty about blowing such a huge amount on $$$$ on doing something that you love.pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter