How do you bounce back after a bad experience?

These are all great ideas! Your story reminds me of a spring break several years ago. I spent a very large portion of our annual vacation money on Cedar Fair platinum passes and meal plans and then we drove off to Carowinds. Well, it was terrible! The lines were super long, and it was way too hot with no shade or air conditioned options, and everyone wanted to have fun- and really did have good attitudes- but we were all a little flat by the end of the first day, having only gone on a few mediocre rides.

The next day the weather was atrocious when we woke up and I just burst into tears. My family was understandably a little confused by my (over?)reaction, but once I started talking it was super cathartic to get to the problem behind my tears- I had blown our vacation budget on Cedar Fair. Well, what happened if all the parks sucked? And it turned out we didn't really like long, hot days at mostly outdoor parks? And the rest of the year we weren't going to go to 5 different parks and have fabulous memories, but instead just staying home and being angry at mother for spending all the vacation money on something crappy? And then, once we all understood the actual problem, the rest of my family tried to cheer me up! And they did! And we went to the movies instead of Carowinds, which ended up closing for weather anyway, and then drove to Kings Dominion, which rocked.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, it's totally ok to be upset, and to cry, and even to complain to your family. It sucks that your daughter's birthday trip was rough! I think to bounce back, what I would do is take the time to sit down and wallow with your husband and daughter a little bit. Get some food and a table and wallow together for a while, and then remember that the point of going to a theme park is to bond with your family and sometimes we bond by wallowing over crappy times together. And then all nominate ideas of something that would cheer you up and pick one together. Even if it's leaving and going to the movies. I hope you found something fun!

PS- We tried Carowinds a few years later and it sucked again. They have a few fun coasters but it is just too d**n hot! Why do they hate shade and air conditioning?

Hey, I just want to acknowledge all of you who 'liked/loved' my posts in this thread, especially my response to the one saying I sounded like a nice person.

My eldest son was hit on his bike by a hit and run driver about 2 weeks ago. He survived and he will recover. In fact, his progress is considered 'miraculous' by his treating team.

But at the time of my posts he was in ICU and his prognosis wasn't so clear. In fact, he was given a 2% chance of survival in the ER and the surgeon later said the injuries he had were considered 'fatal' at the time. Needless to say, my mood was down about as low as it could get.

So, I just want you to know that that happiness I mentioned that can be harder to find? Well, I found it here, with you.

God Bless you all. Live, Love, and Disney.

Hey, I just want to acknowledge all of you who 'liked/loved' my posts in this thread, especially my response to the one saying I sounded like a nice person.

My eldest son was hit on his bike by a hit and run driver about 2 weeks ago. He survived and he will recover. In fact, his progress is considered 'miraculous' by his treating team.

But at the time of my posts he was in ICU and his prognosis wasn't so clear. In fact, he was given a 2% chance of survival in the ER and the surgeon later said the injuries he had were considered 'fatal' at the time. Needless to say, my mood was down about as low as it could get.

So, I just want you to know that that happiness I mentioned that can be harder to find? Well, I found it here, with you.

Oh my goodness! I hope your son makes a full recovery and you are all back at Disney enjoying life again soon!

Best news I heard today!! God Bless. Miracles still happen...daily. I hope your son fully recovers.

Oh, StormyCA! I'm so sorry to hear this but it's wonderful that your son's medical team expects him to make a full recovery. Thinking of you and your family. 🌹

(Some pixie dust can never hurt, right?)

:tink:

Last time we had a bad experience, I booked a trip to Universal Orlando. And man, it was worth it! So good that we went again the next year. Of course, coming from CA, that's pricey just to get there. So we came back to DL in 2022...and had the worst trip. I mean, overall it was still a good Disney trip. But with the Oct crowds, no parades, stupid DiaperGenie+, and a sickening encounter with a character cast-member, I came back thinking I'll never go back.

I went to book another Universal Orlando trip...but realized with a daughter fixing to start college, I was out of money. Which means Hawaii or a big cruise was out, too. So, back to our place. At this moment, I've got a hotel near DL booked the first week of Christmas vacation. I haven't bought the tickets yet. But I know that even with bad crowds and bad CMs and waaayyy to expensive tickets and add-ons, and now the loss of our favorite ride Splash Mt, it'll still be a good trip.

But I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm still smarting from that last trip too much.

We visit DL about once a year (sometimes more) and love it here. We are halfway through our current trip, which started off amazing. We had a really rough experience and set of circumstances this evening that left me shook up and in tears, my daughter upset, and my husband saying he never wants to come back. We spent a lot of money to be here and I want my daughter’s bday trip to be as wonderful as possible. But I’m burnt out, upset, and kind of want to give up and go home.

If you’ve had a bad experience at the parks, how do you bounce back and not let it ruin your trip? I don’t want this to be how I remember things.

Am I the only nosy person who wants to know what happened??

I guess I can't say how I'd get past something if I don't know what we're talking about.

My most recent bad experience was getting Covid (June 2022) and having to cut our trip short. Couldn't really do much to bounce back since we just had to head home.

Other than that, I've never had anything that bad happen that would ruin an entire day or trip.

Oh my gosh, StormyCA!! That is so terrible. I am so happy to hear that your son will recover, but that had to have been so terrifying. You and yours will be in my prayers for continued healing and peace.

Your posts are always a bright spot on the DIS. I really enjoy coming here to read posts around Disney with likeminded people. The DIS is such a great outlet for escaping real life for just a bit to focus on something fun.

Stormy, that would send anyone into a tailspin. How do you think about a DL trip when your son has a life-threatening experience like that? I'm so very sorry and I know everyone on here is wishing your family all the best. I hope your son continues to feel better and I wish him as speedy a recovery as possible.

I'm glad you know that there are so many of us sending you and your family pixie dust :tink:!! Please take care of yourself. I know that those kinds of situations can leave you feeling depleted but I'm so impressed with your positive attitude. Hang in there, Stormy!

I am so overwhelmed and grateful for the kindness and compassion shown in this thread. THANK YOU! This thread is truly Disney magic and I'm grateful to everyone who took the time to respond.

What happened wouldn't seem like a big deal to some, but to us it was. We parked our stroller in stroller parking for a couple of hours and came back for it when my daughter (who has ASD) needed some decompression time and we needed our jackets. It was starting to get super chilly! Our stroller was gone and security was unable to locate it. They said they would take care of getting us a stroller rental and jackets and hope it showed up overnight. The security personnel directed me to guest services under the umbrella by Plaza Inn to get "taken care of".

When I explained the situation to guest services, they scoffed and said they didn't have the authorization to help me and that they weren't responsible for lost items (I totally understand that, but I was told they would be taken care of). I mentioned that the security person said it would be taken care of, and they rolled their eyes and called him. At this point, I was overwhelmed and upset (and trying to imagine the rest of my trip and navigating the airport without a stroller) and burst into tears. This isn't normally an issue to cry about, but I was exhausted and worried about my daughter. The security person came over and confirmed he authorized them to help me. They ended up calling for rental stroller but there wasn't one available so they said there was nothing they could do for me. No mention of the jackets. Yes, I can buy a jacket but I already spent so much money on the trip and was told it would be comped that at this point I was frustrated about it. I would never, ever be upset about them not providing those things to me if they had not brought it up and said they would.

Still crying, I decided to go to City Hall and talk to them because I felt so dismissed by my initial encounter with guest services. I was immediately shown back to a room, where I explained what happened to the cast member there. There was no acknowledgment of what I went through or why I was upset. He was able to get me a stroller for the next two hours but didn't make a single mention of the jackets (again, something I had never expected but was told I would get). By this time we had wasted two park hours and lost out on a good fireworks spot. Plus I had cried all up and down main street wearing a very noticeable Dapper Day outfit.

Our stroller wasn't found until the following evening. By that time we had purchased the cheaply made umbrella stroller from the stroller stand. I try my best to be a good Disney citizen. I pick up trash, help direct other guests, make friends with cast members, and end every trip by leaving a slew of cast member compliments. I was not at all expecting the treatment I received. My daughter was such a trooper during the whole situation and without her special stroller and I'm so grateful for that! I'm so proud of her. We had the princess breakfast booked for the next morning and were able to salvage the trip. I'm attaching a few photos :) Thank you again to everyone for the kindness and amazing advice!! I am truly grateful.

Attachments

• 341698047_528192606147306_4291191407781794070_n.jpg
    341698047_528192606147306_4291191407781794070_n.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 342002600_1315542019028214_8822708769621582225_n.jpg
    342002600_1315542019028214_8822708769621582225_n.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 1A9A895F-A345-407C-A9FB-9F5F444448DE.jpg
    1A9A895F-A345-407C-A9FB-9F5F444448DE.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear about your son and am so happy to hear that he is making a miraculous recovery! I can't imagine how terrifying that must have been for you all.

I'm also sorry about the experience you had in the parks. It pales in comparison to what happened to us! I have an invisible illness and I know the kind of discrimination it can lead to and nobody deserves that.

Sending you so much Disney love and magic ❤️

I am so overwhelmed and grateful for the kindness and compassion shown in this thread. THANK YOU! This thread is truly Disney magic and I'm grateful to everyone who took the time to respond.

What happened wouldn't seem like a big deal to some, but to us it was. We parked our stroller in stroller parking for a couple of hours and came back for it when my daughter (who has ASD) needed some decompression time and we needed our jackets. It was starting to get super chilly! Our stroller was gone and security was unable to locate it. They said they would take care of getting us a stroller rental and jackets and hope it showed up overnight. The security personnel directed me to guest services under the umbrella by Plaza Inn to get "taken care of".

When I explained the situation to guest services, they scoffed and said they didn't have the authorization to help me and that they weren't responsible for lost items (I totally understand that, but I was told they would be taken care of). I mentioned that the security person said it would be taken care of, and they rolled their eyes and called him. At this point, I was overwhelmed and upset (and trying to imagine the rest of my trip and navigating the airport without a stroller) and burst into tears. This isn't normally an issue to cry about, but I was exhausted and worried about my daughter. The security person came over and confirmed he authorized them to help me. They ended up calling for rental stroller but there wasn't one available so they said there was nothing they could do for me. No mention of the jackets. Yes, I can buy a jacket but I already spent so much money on the trip and was told it would be comped that at this point I was frustrated about it. I would never, ever be upset about them not providing those things to me if they had not brought it up and said they would.

Still crying, I decided to go to City Hall and talk to them because I felt so dismissed by my initial encounter with guest services. I was immediately shown back to a room, where I explained what happened to the cast member there. There was no acknowledgment of what I went through or why I was upset. He was able to get me a stroller for the next two hours but didn't make a single mention of the jackets (again, something I had never expected but was told I would get). By this time we had wasted two park hours and lost out on a good fireworks spot. Plus I had cried all up and down main street wearing a very noticeable Dapper Day outfit.

Our stroller wasn't found until the following evening. By that time we had purchased the cheaply made umbrella stroller from the stroller stand. I try my best to be a good Disney citizen. I pick up trash, help direct other guests, make friends with cast members, and end every trip by leaving a slew of cast member compliments. I was not at all expecting the treatment I received. My daughter was such a trooper during the whole situation and without her special stroller and I'm so grateful for that! I'm so proud of her. We had the princess breakfast booked for the next morning and were able to salvage the trip. I'm attaching a few photos :) Thank you again to everyone for the kindness and amazing advice!! I am truly grateful.
Ok, first of all. You look gorgeous, what a good looking fam, seriously that silver coordinated dress with your kiddo is fantastic.

Second, I'm glad they found your stroller, from what I understand cast members move them from time to time and I find it super dumb. Third, you were right to be upset, the nice security guy knows how to disney magic a bad situation and it's truly awful that the other cast members didn't follow thru and dismissed you with that attitude. Specially horrible because of all the time they made you waste. BUT, I'm so glad you could salvage the trip and ended up having a good time <3

Goodness! How dreadful about your stroller going missing. So frustrating. I’m glad security wanted to do something about it and that GS finally found a stroller for you to use. I mean sheesh…GS is better than that…rolling their eyes? Not ok.

Thank you for sharing your family pics. What an adorable Disney family! Your daughter is the sweetest princess. 💞

Sorry @alisonleigh21, this will be my final 'hijack'.

Just wanted to let you lovely people know that DS was discharged and is now at home recuperating. The hospital has arranged for home care for him until his next (and hopefully final) surgery and my wonderful blessing of a DiL is in full 'in sickness and in health' mode. The love between them is a beautiful thing to see.

So thank you all for your good wishes and prayers. I'd credit it all to 'pixie dust' but I know that a 'Slightly Higher Power' is responsible.

I give extra praise to God, StormyMouse! Thank you for the update. Health prayers and bright ::MickeyMotrips to you and your family to come.

AllisonLeigh, you have a beautiful family! :hug:Absolutely here's to only FUN DL trips to come for you and your family. Sending you a PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter