• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

how do you buy those points knowing you will be paying dues for another 40 years?

newholidayx2

<font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b
DH has been wanting me to buy more points for a while now. The only thing keeping me back is the yearly maintenance fees. How do you justify buying more points knowing it's increasing your yearly bill for another 40 or so years?

Just look at the rack rates for Deluxe accomidations at WDW. That should do the trick!

Good question.

I pay around 2k a year i taxes/dues.

If I put the cost of the time share into a conservative investment, and used the 2k + the income from the investment, I could take a darn nice vaction every year, and STILL have the investment.

I often wonder if we as DVC owners have made a wise investment.

But for me, DVC forces me to take Disney Vacations, and we always have a wonderful time.

heck with the new DVC - AKV it will be 50 years.

the maintence fees are so a little part of it.

the trip I am making this march - if I paid full price to CRO it would more than cover my maintence fees and it is only for 4 days in studio.

the maintence fees are so a little part of it.
Actually, NewHoliday2 is right. The dues are the biggest expense there is. The buy-in prince is really nothing compared to the fees.

We just added on at AKV. I figure that if the maint fees get to be too much or if we get tired of Disney, we'll just sell our contracts.

I just calculate how much I'd spend each of those years on hotel expenses and then the maint fees look pretty good! As long as you would be traveling to WDW anyway, I think DVC makes a lot of sense - in the long term.

Buying into DVC $$$ :idea:

Cost of Maintenance Fees for duration $$$$$$$ :teacher:

Joy on families faces & hours spent planning together Priceless :grouphug:

DH & I have such a great time planning & the kids get into it too. We look through the website, plan out our days, choose restaurants & look forward to our special vacation every other year.

Just my $0.02;)

I just calculate how much I'd spend each of those years on hotel expenses and then the maint fees look pretty good! As long as you would be traveling to WDW anyway, I think DVC makes a lot of sense - in the long term.

Not only that, but also all the taxes that go up every year on a rack rate room. Those should be considered too when comparing costs.

Actually, NewHoliday2 is right. The dues are the biggest expense there is. The buy-in prince is really nothing compared to the fees.

We just added on at AKV. I figure that if the maint fees get to be too much or if we get tired of Disney, we'll just sell our contracts.

You're losing me on this one! We pay somewhere between $1400 and $1500 a year in dues. We stay 15 nights (3 five-night stays) in a one bedroom villa. Even in the slower season, the rate for these rooms is over $300. That equates to $4500 plus tax for 15 nights. We are staying for just under $100/night (if you only look at the maintenance fees).

I agree that the dues are the biggest expense over the course of 40 or 50 years, but the value you are getting for your maintenance fees far surpasses paying cash for the villas.

Figure how much will be vacationing and where then

add up how much it would cost without DVC and

compare to how much it would cost WITH DVC (buy in and maint fees and lost revenue from other investments) and then

go with what costs you less.:wizard:

Oh, also figure how much "risk" you're willing to take on buying a timeshare

First thing is timeshare even DVC ( As it holds it's value) Is not an investment.

You have to look at it as a prepaid vacation to Disney. The fees I pay per year are worth it, to get deluxe accommadations. And I enjoy the knowing for sure we are going again next year.:wizard:

I also own timeshare intown. For which I get pool use all year. ANd yes, I have those fees as well. However I don't know where I would find a beautiful year round swim club for less than $500 per year, which is what I pay in dues on that property.:teacher:

We are somewhat fortunate, We have a summer home on Cape Cod which we only need to rent for 2 weeks and that more than covers our annual dues, We may rent it a few more weeks for the next few summers to help offset some of our point costs as well. We also have a boat called the Crabby Abby named after our 3 year old in a slip on the Cape which we can stay on while our cottage is rented.

just compare your projected MF's vs the rack rates in 20 + years and amortize your prinicpal outlay over the term :)

Well comparing just maintenance fees to rack rate here:

1 bedroom at SSR for 2/11 - 2/17

Rack Rate: $2497.50

DVC Points needed: 179

Maintenance Fee on 179 points, $4.12 each per year: $727.48

Price difference: $1760.02

This is the one issue that DH has with buying into DVC. I'm not sure how to explain it away... :confused3

I've been staying at boardwalk since it opened. I've paid $17,000 in cash to cro over the years . In 2003 we spent a little over $8,000.00 for that one trip for the two bedroom alone.

We booked another trip for this August cost $ 6730.00 for the two bedroom. I changed my mind and then

I smartened up and bought points . We are staying this August but on points now.

I will gladly pay those puny little MF's compared to what CRO charges !!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter