How do you choose a new car?

I use Edmund's a lot also. I'm much more concerned about safety, reliability and long-term cost-to-own. Meaning I don't mind paying a little more up front for better quality if that will save me money down the road. I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot with 145000 miles and my wife drives a 2016 CR-V with 37000 miles. Both run great and have needed very little maintenance. Honda's tend to be a little basic, but they're very comfortable to us and we don't need bells and whistles. We are a Honda family and have gotten great value out of our vehicles.

My FIL is retired from Ford so until I bought my Toyota Sienna (Ford didn’t have a mini van) we only bought Ford or Mercury.

My DD graduates HS in 2022 and I plan on dropping her off at college and going straight to a dealership to trade my van in (well...maybe not that quick - LOL). I want a Jeep Wrangler as my next car - we already test drove one. Naturally my FIL wants me to get a Ford Bronco instead.

So, to answer your question, I choose my vehicle on what fits my life best. Currently, it’s my van and I LOVE my van. In 2022 it will be something fun and fits my personality, and everyone tells me they can see me driving a Jeep. So for the next 1 1/2 years I will be keeping an eye on info about Wranglers and make my final decision in June 2022 :thumbsup2

As a car and driving enthusiast, I don't need reviews. A Ford isn't a new thing to me. Nor is Honda or Toyota or any manufacture. Every car company has a feel to their cars that does't change and pretty much flows through all of their lineup. I know what I like and what is tolerable in a vehicle. I know which ones I prefer due to how they drive and reliability history.

My research is in my head with a list of compromises with how a car drives. Driving position, torque curve, handling, and a manual transmission is what is important. Those things are compromised with choosing utility (wanted to carry my bike in a hatchback), gas mileage, and comfort for daily driving. I already know which brands, thus which cars fit my criteria and I go look for it.

My current car I knew what I wanted and what was offered. Toyota and Honda didn't have a hatch at that time. I would not look at a Kia/Hyundai. My options were the Mazda 3 which I like the manufacturer, Focus which I already knew I couldn't live with as mom has one and the interior is very claustrophobic (and Ford would be last on any list of cars I would think of looking at, the Sirloin amongst NY Strip and Ribeye kind of thing), and the Subaru Impreza which I had never driven a Subaru so I hunted that down to test drive. Those were my 3 choices and the Subaru would be the only one I needed to actually drive, which turned out to be a complete piece of garbage in manual form. Thus I ended up with the Mazda 3.

Wanting to trade in my 2014 Honda CRV for a 2021 Subaur Forester Premium.

I looked at Consumer Reports.

How do you research?

thank you!
First, I wouldn't even consider getting rid of a car that new with that good a reputation. We keep cars 20 to 31 years. Unless you crash it or it rusts through, it is always cheaper to fix a car than replace it with a new one. The depreciation driving a new car off the lot is more than a new engine and new transmission cost. And never ever consider the value of the car when making repairs, consider the value of the transporation the repairs will net you.
First thing we do is consider our needs. We are about to retire so we wanted two good cars going into retirement. Last July we retired my wifes 20 year old Mercury Mountaineer because we no longer needed an SUV. Of course in 20 years it was NEVER put in 4 wheel drive. Wanted a run around town car, so we got a 2020 Toyota Camry LE Hybrid. 53 mpg, room for 4 in comfort, 5 in a pinch. Never owned a Toyota before. It should be the last car we ever buy barring a car getting totaled.
2 years earlier we retired our 31 year old Suburban. No longer needed seating for 9, although it was nice for hauling stuff like furniture and making runs to the dump. Bought a Ford Flex. Instead of 9 mpg we are getting 25 mpg.
As for the process, the Internet is a great research tool. But the test drive is the biggest test. As for Consumer Reports, their data is good, but their testers opinions are no better than anyone elses. We have had a couple of cars that their testers down rated because they didn't like features, and in both cases, for us, the features were a huge plus. For example they found the arm rest height in our 1983 Mercury Lynx unacceptably low. But DW and I are tall, and we found it to be the most comfortage arm rest height of any car we have owned.

We always buy Hondas. They last forever. Our Honda minivan pooped out finally at 260,000 miles. Our 2010 Honda Civic bit the dust at 190,000 miles when it was totaled in a car accident. I love Hondas.

Everyone has different ideas of what is important. Not sure what criteria someone else uses will be of any use in your buying decision. What is your budget, how long you plan to keep it, what other vehicles you own, how many people you typically have in the vehicle and what features are most important to you are the places I would start. A 2-seat sports car might be fun to drive, but impractical if you have children and that is the only vehicle in your household.

I first go by what I like, look wise and what I am looking for, like space and amenities. Then I look at price and mileage. But it really comes down to can I see out of it without sitting on something. I am 4'9" so this is a big deal. I can't see out of any chevy so I don't even bother to look at them any more. I had a salesman once get mad because I said I didn't want the car because I would have to sit on a pillow. His response to me was you are really going to pick a car on weather or not you have to sit on a pillow. Yep sure do. It is not comfortable.

Edmunds doesn’t let me add all the features.? How do I get it to work with all the features?

I was shopping for a vehicle tonight. Found one a liked ok. Asked for a price, he had handed me the sticker for the car. I asked what are the rebates?

Then the young salesman said he couldn’t give me a price unless I was going to buy it. I looked at him questioning. I repeated I AM NOT BUYING today. I just want a price.
He repeated he just can’t go ask his manager for a price he would get fired if I didn’t buy the car.

I was instantly PO ed, for him to repeat the fib. Told DH let’s go. Startled them both, I told DH- I just want a price. The guy wouldn’t even tell me if they were any rebates.

DH stood up and looked at me questioning so I repeated the saleman. I shared I didn’t want him to get fired my giving me a price for a car. Out we went.

I dispise buying a vehicle.

Edmunds doesn’t let me add all the features.? How do I get it to work with all the features?

I was shopping for a vehicle tonight. Found one a liked ok. Asked for a price, he had handed me the sticker for the car. I asked what are the rebates?

Then the young salesman said he couldn’t give me a price unless I was going to buy it. I looked at him questioning. I repeated I AM NOT BUYING today. I just want a price.
He repeated he just can’t go ask his manager for a price he would get fired if I didn’t buy the car.

I was instantly PO ed, for him to repeat the fib. Told DH let’s go. Startled them both, I told DH- I just want a price. The guy wouldn’t even tell me if they were any rebates.

DH stood up and looked at me questioning so I repeated the saleman. I shared I didn’t want him to get fired my giving me a price for a car. Out we went.

They want to get you seated down; a captive audience. Salesman may not have had a choice as they take their orders from the sales managers.

Don’t bargain from the MRSP down. Go from the Invoice (what they pay for the car) up, but not by much.

How to figure out the invoice? You will have to do your homework, and/or see if there is a car-buying service that offers this.

If you’re prepared to walk out, then you can have the upper hand. But you need to know your cars and features to know if you’re getting a good deal or not. Best to buy toward end of month when they are a little more desperate to make their monthly quotas. Sometimes after you’ve walked out you’ll get a call from them toward the end of the month.

Have you narrowed down what it is that you want? Buying slightly used means someone else ate a lot of the depreciation. But it looks like there are some deals out there now for new. Don’t go in until you’re fully prepared!

Yup, best thing to do to car sales person is stand up and walk.

When we were buying my (ex)wife's car, the price jumped from $19k to $25k on three 2 year old lease returns overnight from their advertisements because they discontinued the V6 and that Saturday morning the new ones hit the lot. She (sales woman) assumed we were going to sit down when I told her in the parking lot they had all 3 advertised last night for $20k and I had $19k to spend so it's a waste of time to even talk. That morning even the values listed on sites like KBB, Edmunds, NADA, etc went from $20k to $25k.

Of course, "Let's sit down and see what we can do" which she then came back with $500/month or to get the payment lower we could do a 6 or 7 year loan for $425 and $375. I stood up, already telling my wife to just follow me when I walked, and the manager came shooting out of his office to block us. "I guaranty we search and we are the lowest price you're going to find!" I laughed, walked around him and out the door. An hour later we were driving home from somewhere else in my wife's "new" $19,000 Rav4 lease return because instead of increasing the price $5000, that place changed their advertising from "$1000 under book value" to "$6000 under book value."

I like reading personal reviews of what people have to say. Professional reviews are okay too but I really want to see what people who actually drive the car have to say.

I had a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I thought I liked it on the test drive. I did end up buying it. But within a month, I hated the technology in it. The voice commands were slow, it would take 5 seconds before it would register and then half of the features for the phone wouldn’t work - Mazda would always blame the phone updates.

The real kicker was when it had 24,000 miles on it, I was 3 hours away from home when the transmission started to act up. I got it in gear and just kept driving. It finally died when I had to get off the highway and then I had to get it towed.

I never drove that car again and traded it in while it was getting repaired under warranty. Good riddance to that junk and I’ll never buy a Mazda again. I went online afterwards to see if anyone had issues and there were far too many people, in my opinion, complaining about dead transmissions at 20k miles.

I replaced it with a 2016 Nissan Rogue that I still have today with 84k. I’ll be in your position next year or so...I intend to begin searching when she rolls over 100.

I like reading personal reviews of what people have to say. Professional reviews are okay too but I really want to see what people who actually drive the car have to say.

I had a 2015 Mazda CX-5. I thought I liked it on the test drive. I did end up buying it. But within a month, I hated the technology in it. The voice commands were slow, it would take 5 seconds before it would register and then half of the features for the phone wouldn’t work - Mazda would always blame the phone updates.

The real kicker was when it had 24,000 miles on it, I was 3 hours away from home when the transmission started to act up. I got it in gear and just kept driving. It finally died when I had to get off the highway and then I had to get it towed.

I never drove that car again and traded it in while it was getting repaired under warranty. Good riddance to that junk and I’ll never buy a Mazda again. I went online afterwards to see if anyone had issues and there were far too many people, in my opinion, complaining about dead transmissions at 20k miles.

I replaced it with a 2016 Nissan Rogue that I still have today with 84k. I’ll be in your position next year or so...I intend to begin searching when she rolls over 100.

Generally agree, every Mazda I’ve driven, rentals and test drives the information system/radio is awful and visibility is poor. The general feedback is the CX-5 is “great”, but a quick test drive compared to the Subaru Forester was night and day in touch surfaces and visibility. We went with the Forester over the CX-5, CRV and RAV-4. The RAV-4 is where we thought we’d land, but the engine was louder than we expected inside the cabin and it just seemed cramped overall.

We’ve owned a Toyota, a GM, Honda X2, a Ford truck and now a Subaru. Also one Dodge (and another in the Chrysler family and those are a never again).

My next one will be a Ford Bronco next year.

First, I wouldn't even consider getting rid of a car that new with that good a reputation. We keep cars 20 to 31 years. Unless you crash it or it rusts through, it is always cheaper to fix a car than replace it with a new one. The depreciation driving a new car off the lot is more than a new engine and new transmission cost. And never ever consider the value of the car when making repairs, consider the value of the transporation the repairs will net you.
First thing we do is consider our needs. We are about to retire so we wanted two good cars going into retirement. Last July we retired my wifes 20 year old Mercury Mountaineer because we no longer needed an SUV. Of course in 20 years it was NEVER put in 4 wheel drive. Wanted a run around town car, so we got a 2020 Toyota Camry LE Hybrid. 53 mpg, room for 4 in comfort, 5 in a pinch. Never owned a Toyota before. It should be the last car we ever buy barring a car getting totaled.
2 years earlier we retired our 31 year old Suburban. No longer needed seating for 9, although it was nice for hauling stuff like furniture and making runs to the dump. Bought a Ford Flex. Instead of 9 mpg we are getting 25 mpg.
As for the process, the Internet is a great research tool. But the test drive is the biggest test. As for Consumer Reports, their data is good, but their testers opinions are no better than anyone elses. We have had a couple of cars that their testers down rated because they didn't like features, and in both cases, for us, the features were a huge plus. For example they found the arm rest height in our 1983 Mercury Lynx unacceptably low. But DW and I are tall, and we found it to be the most comfortage arm rest height of any car we have owned.
lol, I could never keep a car that long. I did have a 2001 Impala that I drove for 204k miles but that only took 6 years soooo... My current car is a 2018 and has 75 k miles on it, and its only that low bc I finally got a job closer to home. But having younger kids in sports we are always driving them to practice or something and we live in the country so everything is at least 10 miles away.

DS in an engineer in the auto industry and has worked on multiple brands. He works for a supplier, not the actual manufacturer. He says from his side they are a royal pain to deal with, and he can point out all the flaws in each of their vehicles, but hands down he says Hondas are the best bang for your buck out there in terms of price, quality, and longevity. We had a CRV that we bought before he worked with them that we drove for 280k miles and we kept it for 17 years. All three kids learned to drive in it and it went to college with some of them. It was put thru the ringer but kept on running. DS only traded it in because he felt it was time to start driving a car that was not so beat up and he got a great deal on a new Accord.

Other DS had a Lexus that my parents drove for 7 years and then passed it down. Maybe 60k miles. For the price of the car it has had way more issues than any of our Honda's ever had. He My sister had a Lexus that was a 2009 that she traded in two years ago. It needed $4k worth of work on a 10 year old car with 125k miles and none of that was brakes, tires, an alternator or a battery. It was issues we never had with any of our Hondas. Then she bought another Lexus. I was perplexed she bought a car that was so unreliable for others in the family.

I have several friends who swear by the Subarus. DS states they are ok, but not something he would drive as they are not quite as reliable as a Honda. He says Hyundai is actually not a bad choice if someone does not want to spend the money on a Honda.

From a safety standpoint I am glad he drives a Honda. He was at a standstill on the highway when he was rear ended by a truck that was paying no attention to stopped traffic in front of him. My son's Accord was completely smashed in the back end by the truck and the front end was smashed into an Acura in front. Both my son and the Acura driver had no injuries but both cars ended up totaled. That is what is most important to me.

Good luck with your new car search.

lol, I could never keep a car that long. I did have a 2001 Impala that I drove for 204k miles but that only took 6 years soooo... My current car is a 2018 and has 75 k miles on it, and its only that low bc I finally got a job closer to home. But having younger kids in sports we are always driving them to practice or something and we live in the country so everything is at least 10 miles away.
I just turned 11,000 miles on my 2018. And it is only that high because of some unexpected 300 mile round trips. My kids played sports, but the fields for soccer and baseball are two blocks from our house. Always felt funny driving.

Never go into a dealership asking how much the car costs. You walk in there and tell THEM how much you are going to pay. That's how you do it. Then you sit down with them and haggle over extras. This works especially well when you are paying cash or already have financing locked in with your bank.

I just turned 11,000 miles on my 2018. And it is only that high because of some unexpected 300 mile round trips. My kids played sports, but the fields for soccer and baseball are two blocks from our house. Always felt funny driving.
I used to drive 40 miles each way to work. My kids school is 10 miles one way. Everything else is 10 miles the other way

I used to drive 40 miles each way to work. My kids school is 10 miles one way. Everything else is 10 miles the other way
They say the average American drives right around 13,500 miles year. Then there are folks like you on the high end, and folks like my mom on the low end. She had a 16 mile round trip commute to work and never ever in her life put more than 3,000 miles per year on a car. When she retired it dropped to 1,000 a year. She put 77,000 miles on her 1976 Ford Pinto in 27 years. She replaced it with a Ford Focus and when she passed it had just hit 10,000 miles.

I like:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/
My next vehicle purchase will be either a 4Runner or a Tacoma since I can fit both in my garage. And I can tow a reasonably sized RV with either. I'm hoping by the time I'm in the market to purchase that one of the two will be available as a hybrid.

What's your use case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter