• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Do You Convince the Rents to Let You Travel Alone?

CourtasanSatine

<font color=blue>I'm partial to the 4th seaters<br
I want to travel to WDW alone and trying to convince my parents.I would piggyback my trip with my mom's to Panama City(she has a friend there) which saves money right there and I'm looking into AP's with PI option

How old are you that you have to convince them to let you? If you are a minor, then it might take a bit of convincing, maybe take a friend. If you aren't a minor, then you shouldn't have to convince them to let you as long as you are paying for it yourself.

I wayyyyy past the age of getting permission from my parents to let me go, so I do not know what to tell you.

Really I think 23 is way past the age of needing to ask permission too. Honestly I am not sure how to help you, I am 24, and living at home at the moment (just graduated from college in May, will most likely be moving out in the fall when the camp I work at over the summer is over.) But I would never have to ask permission to take a trip that I would be paying for. If they trust you and you pay for it, why would they have a problem with it. Are you in college or have you just not been working and doing something else?

do you have some deal with your parents about them approving what you do as a condition of you living there still, or is it just that they would be worried about you traveling on your own? Sorry for all of the personal questions, but I am trying to figure out the situation to best help you.

they just like being sure everything's ok with things and I do live at home(but have no curfew and do have indenpedce)

if it is just a case of them being worried about you traveling alone, then if you tell them that there is a reputable company taking you to the resort, (unless you paln on renting a car) staying onsite would probably make them more comfortable, even if it is one of the cheaper Downtown Disney resorts that aren't actually Disney resorts, and that there are plenty of security and cast members everywhere. I saw security in the parks and in the resort most of the time.

Well, I am way past 23, but I can say that my parents would not have financed the Disney trip at 23. (Of course I think my parents would have thrown me out at 23. They kind of gave me that impression when I graduated from college. LOL!) I think a job to pay for this is the first step.

If your paying for yourself while there, then there is nothing to say. If they are worried about your safety/security, then make an agreement to call you mother by a certain time everynight as a check in that you are doing okay. As stated above, attempt to stay on property if you can and always be aware of your surroundings. You will be very empowered to take a solo trip on your own. I am in my early 30's and am an only child, till today my parents still want me to call them and check in when I travel for work. Go for it.

I know the feeling yecats - my mother still wants to know what and where I am - but I finally taught her not to call on the weekends - some people think they can controll other people - yea right!

tell them that there aren't many save places for a single person these days - but WDW still is - if you stay on-site - off-site - well a nice place is still nice - but there are some places in Kissimmee (which I love by the way) that I would not stay at if paid too.....

take a cell phone with you so they can kept in contact - that always helps.

thanks for all the ideas:) I would piggyback my trip onto my mom's to Panama City(saves the air fair and helps for a onsite hotel).I'm ok with the cheap onsites and I'm actually looking into cell phones.I've done trips with the family so I'm ok on that front but next misison:find job and convince them

I don't have to convince my parents, I'm just a little old for that, good luck to you, though :)

My parents are the same way. I'm 28 and my mom still worries when I drive on the interstate. Here's something to consider.

You may not ever be able to "convince" parents, but you can make them comfortable with your trip. They aren't thinking in logical ways when their child is going off alone. They are imagining violent death, and larger than life accidents. Logical reasons may not work for your particular situation. A comprehensive overview of the safety statistics of a particular hotel or area will not alleviate your parents fear that somehow a rouge mental patient will escape from the asylum and come after you, or that you'll be left out in the cold night when you lose your hotel room key.

Here's a little trick I've used:

Give them a list of emergency supplies you intend to bring. It helps them to know you're responsible and prepared. Include a list of contact numbers of your family and friends. A list of local police and hospital addresses and numbers(you know, in case WDW emergency staff can't get to you, and you have to drive yourself to the hospital ;)). Make sure your parents know you are bringing your health insurance information and all identification materials you may deem important. Let them know you are also bringing an emergency credit card(or other emergency fund), just in case. Throw in a small first aid kit just to drive the safety point across. It may even help to ask if your parents can help you compile a list of helpful emergency "stuff" you may need. They will feel a bit more sure of your decision if you bring along some things they feel are important to carry around.

One more thing. Beware of the "I'll call you" syndrome. You may get stuck in crowds, or a change of plans that warrant a late or missed call. That may be enough for your parents to send out the National Guard in search. Cell phones may be convenient if you're stuck, but it also gives free reign for unsure parents to call you every second of the day. If you are on a ride, or in a show where cell phones may not be appreciated, and you miss the call, again the National Guard is sent out.

Good luck!

Lurieh

CourtasanSatine, do I know you from somewhere? LOL

I'm 23 as well and am planning my first solo trip in December. The first time I planned a solo trip for December was in 2001. Then 9/11 happened and my mom was panicked! Needless to say, I cancelled. Although my mom is probably in a panic over my trip in December, she knows I'm an adult now. The fact that I've been to WDW 5 times now and know the place like the back of my hand doesn't hurt either.

I don't know the situation you're in, but parents are parents. They'll always be worried. Just tell them what you're thinking of doing. Sure, they'll be nervous, but more often then not, they'll let you "spread your wings" and not interfere. :D

Hmm, just find some of this a little weird.

I'm 19 and am planning a trip for my girlfriend of 3 years and myself for July 2004 (we will be 20 and 17 at that time) and I'm financing the whole trip and neither of our parents have even the slightest objections.

You have to learn to save (our trip is costing us about $6000, but it is 10 nights long with a day at the spa, surfing lessons, SCUBA diving in EPCOT, a Breathless Cruise, and a ton of other extras that make the cost go higher -- luckily I was able to convince her the POR was a good hotel so I didn't have to get a deluxe ;) ). I've already got $2500 saved up over a year in advance and I'm very good about saving and will probably have $8000 by the time we leave for our trip =) Just get a job, and save HALF OF IT. Yes I know saving half the money you make seems ridiculous, but you are living at home and probably have very few expenses. Just cut down on the "extra" things you buy and you should be fine.

As to how to convince your parents to let you go, I'm not quite sure why you should even have to. :confused:

Originally posted by Disney Nick
Hmm, just find some of this a little weird.

As to how to convince your parents to let you go, I'm not quite sure why you should even have to. :confused:
I agree. :confused: If you're paying for your trip, it should be a non-issue. Of course, it may just be my point of view: I'd been married for three years by the time I was 23. I can assure you I wasn't asking for permission at that age.

dido on what ASFCurly said, there are CM's everywhere and security is pretty good. I saw security officers quite frequently when I went to WDW in '01. And if you're paying for the trip yourself then I don't think there's much your parents have to say about it. If it's about money, then look in to staying at one of the All-Stars, and look in to www.mousesavers.com to find room only codes that could help you save some money. As for eating in the park...if it's just you, then eating at one of Disney's "Fast food" places can help. $7-8 for a burger and fries or chicken and a soft drink. Buy a brtta water bottle that has a filter in it, this will save money on buying bottled water. Buy CVS/Walgreen brand of film...it's just the same as kodack and it's slightly cheaper. There are all sorts of ways to save money on a Disney trip. Now if it's for safty reasons, then you can tell her that Disney CM's are everwhere and so is security. There are people all over WDW so there should be a problem...just yell real loud if someone is trying to do something to you. Oh, and if you use a fanny pack, try and weave the strap through a belt loop or two. This will help in keeping it on if someone tries to take it. Hope this has helped. Please keep us informed as to what happens.

Steven

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter