How do you determine your grocery budget?

PS - Op, you do seem right on target for a normal moderate grocery budget for 8 if you use this calculator...https://mint.intuit.com/blog/food-budgets/monthly-grocery-budget-calculator/
I compared this calculator to my average spend based on cc records and it was pretty accurate.

PS - Op, you do seem right on target for a normal moderate grocery budget for 8 if you use this calculator...https://mint.intuit.com/blog/food-budgets/monthly-grocery-budget-calculator/

They forgot 8 -12 year olds exist. lol

Guess we are on target for the cost conscious. It really helps to shop the sales and freeze extra meat when the sale price is low. But you need to remember what you include in the grocery budget. Many people consider that budget only food. They don't add the extra for cleaning, paper products, personal hygiene and pet products. It makes a huge difference. I consider my budget to be everything consumable, so it seems higher.

I have posted some of this before in other post... Everything is kinda like a puzzle you have to have all the piece's to get a clear picture...

1) Well stocked pantry - pack your pantry with items that you use constantly, how your family eats, and what you all like to eat.
2) Dietary restrictions - items that you can use and keep on hand for whoever in your family has them.
3) Check out the grocery flyers and Ad's - divided by stores write down or circle the flyer.
4) Limit trips to the Store - this is the biggest savings thing..
5) Start a list, divide the list up - however you want- household, produce, meat, however makes things work for you. I have a list on the side of the fridge, and I write down what I run out of,
6) Plan where you are shopping at

Next step - Before you get in the car -
1) Meal planning... you can be as detailed as you want, or go with something more casual
2) Know what you are going to do with left overs - are they for lunches, or to make side dishes,
3) Just because something is a good deal if you don't have any idea what to do with it, and it sits and goes to waste. Big hit to the budget.
4) Inventory the pantry, on what needs to be replaced
5) Make the list - I write it down old school and then take it with you... don't forget a pen or pencil to mark it off...

In the store -
1) Do not go hungry to the grocery store...
2) Try if possible to go alone it's easier to focus on what you are doing... If this is something that you can't do, then tell the kiddo's that they can each get a treat if they are good... if they are old enough have them mark thing off the list...
3) Stick to the list - with that said some times there will be in store specials - again if it a really great price, I ask myself what are you going to make with it?

You have to find what works for you... and your family...

I have posted some of this before in other post... Everything is kinda like a puzzle you have to have all the piece's to get a clear picture...

1) Well stocked pantry - pack your pantry with items that you use constantly, how your family eats, and what you all like to eat.
2) Dietary restrictions - items that you can use and keep on hand for whoever in your family has them.
3) Check out the grocery flyers and Ad's - divided by stores write down or circle the flyer.
4) Limit trips to the Store - this is the biggest savings thing..
5) Start a list, divide the list up - however you want- household, produce, meat, however makes things work for you. I have a list on the side of the fridge, and I write down what I run out of,
6) Plan where you are shopping at

Next step - Before you get in the car -
1) Meal planning... you can be as detailed as you want, or go with something more casual
2) Know what you are going to do with left overs - are they for lunches, or to make side dishes,
3) Just because something is a good deal if you don't have any idea what to do with it, and it sits and goes to waste. Big hit to the budget.
4) Inventory the pantry, on what needs to be replaced
5) Make the list - I write it down old school and then take it with you... don't forget a pen or pencil to mark it off...

In the store -
1) Do not go hungry to the grocery store...
2) Try if possible to go alone it's easier to focus on what you are doing... If this is something that you can't do, then tell the kiddo's that they can each get a treat if they are good... if they are old enough have them mark thing off the list...
3) Stick to the list - with that said some times there will be in store specials - again if it a really great price, I ask myself what are you going to make with it?

You have to find what works for you... and your family...
Another way of expressing it I suppose would be: Think well before going to the store; don't just rush there if something suddenly occurs to you...right?

We don't set a grocery budget. For us the more we eat and home and the less we eat out the healthier we eat and the more we save. For us buying more at the grocery store means more eating at home (some things don't really save that much money, but foods do tend to be healthier vs. going out.) And with COVID-19 it's just safer to do more eating at home too. Even without a budget, it is amazing how stable or grocery spending seems to be from week to week. We do one main trip a week. We buy a few more splurges to make eating a little more special at home too, due to eating out less. This is just my perspective.

I have been trying to find ways to save money using egg and pasta dishes and basic cheese like cheese pizza or cheese lasagna. And healthier cereals by adding sliced bananas for example and smoothies with frozen bananas and frozen OJ. Also searching for soup recipes with more vegetables. Appreciate any helpful ideas. I have found myself using every piece of bread which amazes me as it makes me aware of all the ways I used to be so wasteful .
p.s. I rarely eat out anymore for so many reasons. Once upon a time I rarely ate at home ...

Also searching for soup recipes with more vegetables. Appreciate any helpful ideas. I have found myself using every piece of bread which amazes me as it makes me aware of all the ways I used to be so wasteful .

yummly is a great free website that you can find a wealth of soup recipes on (their stuffed pepper soup is fantastic). it's also a great one in that you can plug in the ingredients you already have on hand to get a number of recipes that are tailor made for them.

Another way of expressing it I suppose would be: Think well before going to the store; don't just rush there if something suddenly occurs to you...right?

Yes, It really is about thinking every thing through... and planning ahead.... for each person they have to figure out what works best for them.

I have a friend that's I have been trying to help with just this. She just goes to the grocery store and buys whatever, without any thought of how that is going to play out when she gets it all home. I actually made a basic list for her, on her lap top so that she can have something to go by. So she had me set up the list by meal times - which works for her...

Another friend who got me started, on all this meal planning, make ahead meals, and getting a pantry that works for me... she lives on a huge working farm and ranch in the middle of no-where... As she calls it the Shopping extravaganza, they drive about 3 to 5 hours to different big cities about every 3 months... and spend a long weekend shopping, and eating out, and going to the movies, or whatever. They are shopping for everything not just groceries... He drives his truck, and pulls a trailer and she drives her suburban so that they can get everything that they need...
Her list are amazing and the planning that goes into it is crazy... the amount of detail is just mind boggling... She has a legal size clip board and a legal pad that she use's...Now that her kids ( 6) are grown and married and she has grandkids, the list has grown even more... Not only does she shop for her family, Her DH's brother and sister live on the ranch as well, and both have big families... so when each of them " Head into town" they always get whatever the others needs... She has to be on point as they can't just swing into Publix on the way home... There is a hometown grocery store which is okay for quick runs but its like 100 miles round trip...

I buy meat in bulk-we get a steer from a rancher in Wyoming and split it with our grown sons -for us that amounts to slightly more than a quarter-same with a hog from a farmer in Greeley Colorado. We also are all hobby gardeners and we share fresh produce and canned goods across the family. I am a scratch baker as well and do a bulk bake about once every two months for bread to freeze. We are not huge bread eaters though. I meal plan and purchase only what is needed for that weeks meals or to restock my pantry. I purchase limited proteins In the grocery-chicken when none of us raise and eggs when other hobby farmer friends don't have them coming in-occasional special things or fish. Produce seasonally when nothing is coming from gardens-We live in Colorado so the grown season is short and shorter for my brother and his family in Wyoming. This all sounds time consuming but I work full time and still have time for dog shows and such. Its more an exercise in planning -and of course taking care of the garden in summer-than anything.

Yes, It really is about thinking every thing through... and planning ahead.... for each person they have to figure out what works best for them.

I have a friend that's I have been trying to help with just this. She just goes to the grocery store and buys whatever, without any thought of how that is going to play out when she gets it all home. I actually made a basic list for her, on her lap top so that she can have something to go by. So she had me set up the list by meal times - which works for her...

Another friend who got me started, on all this meal planning, make ahead meals, and getting a pantry that works for me... she lives on a huge working farm and ranch in the middle of no-where... As she calls it the Shopping extravaganza, they drive about 3 to 5 hours to different big cities about every 3 months... and spend a long weekend shopping, and eating out, and going to the movies, or whatever. They are shopping for everything not just groceries... He drives his truck, and pulls a trailer and she drives her suburban so that they can get everything that they need...
Her list are amazing and the planning that goes into it is crazy... the amount of detail is just mind boggling... She has a legal size clip board and a legal pad that she use's...Now that her kids ( 6) are grown and married and she has grandkids, the list has grown even more... Not only does she shop for her family, Her DH's brother and sister live on the ranch as well, and both have big families... so when each of them " Head into town" they always get whatever the others needs... She has to be on point as they can't just swing into Publix on the way home... There is a hometown grocery store which is okay for quick runs but its like 100 miles round trip...
I buy meat in bulk-we get a steer from a rancher in Wyoming and split it with our grown sons -for us that amounts to slightly more than a quarter-same with a hog from a farmer in Greeley Colorado. We also are all hobby gardeners and we share fresh produce and canned goods across the family. I am a scratch baker as well and do a bulk bake about once every two months for bread to freeze. We are not huge bread eaters though. I meal plan and purchase only what is needed for that weeks meals or to restock my pantry. I purchase limited proteins In the grocery-chicken when none of us raise and eggs when other hobby farmer friends don't have them coming in-occasional special things or fish. Produce seasonally when nothing is coming from gardens-We live in Colorado so the grown season is short and shorter for my brother and his family in Wyoming. This all sounds time consuming but I work full time and still have time for dog shows and such. Its more an exercise in planning -and of course taking care of the garden in summer-than anything.

This is literally my dream. I wish I had family or friends who also wanted to do that. Right now I have one friend from work who is also trying to live more self sufficiently. We're both working on gardens this year to trade veggies and fruits.

My grocery column is only food items for the three of us. I track every purchase, not because I have to $$ wise, I want to be aware of where everything is going.
That being said I did $100 a week for two adults and a teen in my budget book. I’m running several hundred dollars under for the year. I think it’s because I bought a case of ground beef in dec, but charged it to 2021. It was $2,50ish pp. Then our local Mennonite store offers chicken breast at $1.37 pp, so I got four cases (160 pounds). I broke it down into meal portions and froze it. A couple hours effort resulted in a better quality product and no stupid styrofoam trays.
So anyway, look into bulk purchases. Whether it be Sams, buying a whole cow, your local small biz, or even a restaurant service company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter