How do you justify spending thousands on one vacation?

BOOK IT AND GO! You are already spending $6000 to vacation in Jamaica where I get the sense that although it is your favorite resort you are kind of just settling for it this time around. For another $6000 or so you get the trip of a lifetime to celebrate your 25 years anniversary.
If you need to justify it do not take a vacation next year or a very low cost one. Find a way to save a couple of hundred dollars a month off your regular budget and by next May you will have saved most of the extra cost.

If you do end up going to Jamaica this year and spending $6000 how likely do you think it is that you will decide to go to Bora Bora and spend another $12,000 in the future?

The summer of 2012 my family of 4 took a dream 3 week trip to Europe. Total cost was $15,000 and it was all paid off so no debt. Summer of 2013 we did Disney on the cheap by driving, staying value and only doing 3 park days one of which was off an old non-expiry ticket. Summer of 2014 we did Cape Cod and cost was about $2000. So total cost for all 3 was about $20000 or average around $6500 per trip.

If you can afford it - DO IT! My husband and I went to Vail, Colorado for a week for our 30th wedding anniversary. We stayed in two very expensive hotels. While that trip didn't cost what you are considering for Bora, Bora, it was a lot for us in 2004. Our son was a junior in high school at the time.

I will never, ever regret that trip or any vacation we took as a couple or as a family. Four years later, on our 34th wedding anniversary, I gave the eulogy at my husband's funeral. He was 55 years old and died of pancreatic cancer.

GO!!!!!!!

My husband and I have been married 22 years and our oldest daughter is in college. While she is in college, we would not feel comfortable splurging on a huge vacation and it wouldn't matter if our 25th wedding anniversary happened to fall during this period. The 25th to me is not, in and of itself, reason enough for me to splurge given our current stage of life (i.e., putting a child through college).

I think you should ask yourself if you are contemplating the pricey vacation now only because it is your 25th anniversary or are you contemplating it because you are in the right stage of your life to be able to afford a dream vacation. If you can easily afford the dream vacation and you feel the time is right, do it. Otherwise, have fun on a less expensive vacation and you can celebrate a different anniversary with the dream vacation.

For us right now, we are economizing our vacation budget in order to afford to pay for our daughter's college education. This year, we are taking the four of us on a Royal Caribbean cruise in March and the cost is very affordable. In a year and a half when our daughter is done with college and we have some room to breathe before our next child starts college, we will be back to taking pricier vacations.

Happy anniversary, OP!

I don't. Travel is what I love and I don't make any attempt to justify what we spend on it. If we have the money, we go. If we don't, we save up until we do.

My only hesitation on the big trips tends to be when the question is one $10,000 trip or two $5,000 trips (or even more cheaper trips)... Often we don't have the time available to travel more so it isn't an issue, but when we have the time I tend to opt for longer, more frequent cheap trips over one all-out trip and spending the rest of our free time at home.

Travel is considered part of life for us, it is an expense each month of money going into the vacation fund. I don't have to justify it to us, because that's what we love to do, and will continue doing.

No one understands how we could justify spending as much money on traveling like we do. But on the other hand, I don't understand how my friends will spend money on some of the stuff they do. It's what each household has priorities in.

The dollar amount is what your family feels comfortable in spending. I wouldn't go in debt to pay for a vacation. Nor would I sacrifice other items (let's say your house needs a new roof) to pay for a vacation. I'd make sure I have a good regular savings account and a decent retirement account. For some families it might be $5K vacation for some it's $50K.

For us, the only trip so far that can't be justified is Antarctica. It's only affordable if it's the only trip we took in a 2-year period. As much as I'd love to go to Antarctica, I can't justify giving up traveling for 2 years and all the neat new places I will see in that timeframe. Hopefully one day we will get there when we are still healthy enough to be able to enjoy it

For us, the only trip so far that can't be justified is Antarctica. It's only affordable if it's the only trip we took in a 2-year period. As much as I'd love to go to Antarctica, I can't justify giving up traveling for 2 years and all the neat new places I will see in that timeframe. Hopefully one day we will get there when we are still healthy enough to be able to enjoy it.

OMG, I can't believe you mentioned Antarctica! DS20 has as one of his life goals to visit all the continents (before he's 30, which I think is a little crazy). I told him that none will be tricky except Antarctica, because of the HUGE expense! If you ever figure out a way to go even a little bit cheaper, please let me know, because I'd love to see him (and you) make it happen. (I've seen too many horror movies, and have no desire to go ;)...)

Terri

Congratulations on 25 years!

I'm going to agree with everyone else, just do it.
You don't know what the future holds. If this is something you've always wanted to do and you can reasonably afford it, don't let the cost hold you back.

OMG, I can't believe you mentioned Antarctica! DS20 has as one of his life goals to visit all the continents (before he's 30, which I think is a little crazy). I told him that none will be tricky except Antarctica, because of the HUGE expense! If you ever figure out a way to go even a little bit cheaper, please let me know, because I'd love to see him (and you) make it happen. (I've seen too many horror movies, and have no desire to go ;)...) Terri

Not that crazy! I visited every continent before 30! But granted was very lucky that my family likes to travel and they took me along!

OMG, I can't believe you mentioned Antarctica! DS20 has as one of his life goals to visit all the continents (before he's 30, which I think is a little crazy). I told him that none will be tricky except Antarctica, because of the HUGE expense! If you ever figure out a way to go even a little bit cheaper, please let me know, because I'd love to see him (and you) make it happen. (I've seen too many horror movies, and have no desire to go ;)...)

Terri

We are set to having a trip that crosses below the circle. If your DS just wants to set foot on land it is drastically cheaper (like a third of the cost) to not go below the circle. But I figure this is probably a once in my life trip and we'd cross below. The trips I have found that don't go below the circle also visit South George island the Falkans.

OMG, vacationing, and traveling, are very important to me.
My everyday life here does not have much to offer.
So, traveling is like a reprieve!!!!
In the dead of winter, planning our next trip is like my 'escape'.

Our 25th was last year... CONGRATULATIONS!
We did not have a huge travel budget.
Our means are llmited.
But we did plan a short trip to a very very nice adults only resort.
Heard thru the grapevine of a very good offer, that most people would not have known about or been able to take advantage of.
LOVED IT!!!

OP:
I don't know if anyone here can really help you to make that kind of decision. It is such a personal thing!

About visiting The South Pacific, and French Polynesia.
We have a bit of money right now, so we have planned a bucket list trip to Kauai, Hawaii. OMG!!!! I did a lot of research, and managed to put this together for what seems to be a very reasonable cost.

Anyhow, I read a YAHOO travel piece, where a Hawaii supporter was slamming French Polynesia. They were basically saying "Hey, go and spend WAY more money to sit with nothing to do but have another stale baguette." Hahahahaha!!!!!!

Anyhow I have always wanted to visit French Polynesia, and I went back and revisited the places that I had looked at. OMG... Just the photos alone... NOTHING, not even some of the nicest photos of Hawaii, can begin to compare.

People on the Hawaii travel boards even said, "Hey, I would leave and go there, no question!!!!" I am, like you, Just "OMG, I would give my eye-teeth to go there!!! (others, of course, might not have that kind of a preference or desire.)

Here is the way I look at it.
At my age, being way more limited than most people my age, even before our son graduates high school... I personally go with the, 'LIFE IS TOO SHORT', attitude.

This is how I would weigh it out..
In 5 years or so.... What would be your regrets...
Not being able to travel to this area at all...
Or, spending the money.

I think you have to kind of look at the bigger picture and the final end-result.

One could drive theirselves crazy trying to parcel out the details.

And, each persons decision might be different.
Each person has different passions and priorities.

Some people appreciate and love jewelry/diamonds, fine expensive cars, an incredible house in the perfect location...

Personally, those would be meaningless to me in comparison to the chance to see and enjoy bliss in what I might call one of the most incredible places on god's planet.

Einee, Meany, Miny, Mo....

I don't feel that I have to justify things important to me. Travel is valuable and something that I never regret. I DO regret NOT traveling more.

If you can afford it, you don't need to justify it.

To ME=a beach is a Beach is a BEACH!!!
The only thing that seems a tad attractive is sleeping on those huts out in the water in Bora Bora

After THAT-what to do?
On of the OC Housewives went there-and it was just swimming, snorkeling...things you can do any nice beach-so that is why I couldt spend $12,000 just to do it at BoraBora

-when you can get gorgeous beaches even in Florida's Emerald Coast VERY reasonable.

AND Jamaica does NOT appeal to me one tiny bit
A beach isn't just a beach. Snorkeling in the world's largest reef is going to be different than snorkeling in other areas, for instance. Just because I can visit the beach in Lake Michigan doesn't mean it's the same as a beach in Fiji.

Jamaica is a gorgeous country with a lot to offer! And Bora Bora....AHHHH. http://twistedsifter.com/2010/12/bora-bora-photographs/

We have a major anniversary coming up soon and are going to Italy for 11 days. DD will stay with family friends and it's our first trip without her. Travel is my passion. We used to travel to Europe often before DD came along, but only went a few times with her, especially after she started school. But I've given up years of vacations to WDW and Universal and I want this!

I don't know what it will cost yet and being budget conscious, that is surprising. But I'll pay whatever it takes. For the majority of the stay, we will base in Florence and rent an apartment.

I do not spend money on jewelry, designer purses or expensive clothes. Those things really do not matter to me. Travel does. My best memories are of trips we have taken. I will happily sacrifice something else in order to travel.

DH and I are excited for the trip and it will be money well spent.

My father died when I was in high school. A few days before his death, he and my mother returned from a vacation looking happier and more relaxed than they had in years. I'll bet my mother never regretted that vacation.

OP - no justification needed you're celebrating a wonderful event. I've always had the attitude of you only live once and it's better to enjoy than to regret!

In 2010 - my husband and I decided that it was time to do one of the big trips on our bucket list - going to the Galapagos. I will tell you it was expensive for the 4 of us to go but we haven't regretted a minute of it. My DDs who were 10 and 12 at the time still talk about it!

We'll be celebrating our 20th anniversary next year and even though our daughter will be going to college in the fall we've already decided on going on another big trip. We are family that love to travel and experience different cultures and places.

Bora Bora sounds absolutely fantastic!!!

Chiming in here with the "just do it" people!

DH and I went to Ireland 3 years ago and were hiking around the cliffs and when we sat back and noticed all the people who had clearly been waiting for retirement to take this trip. It was so sad because the stamina just wasn't there, they couldn't keep up. Now I know there are plenty of spry older people! But, it just seemed a pattern to us that trip.

Cut to later that trip in a pub talking to another guy who was visiting from the states. I asked him why he had made the trip and moreover made the trip alone. He said all his friends had died (and he wasn't old! like mid 50's!) and he figured he better go now before his number is up.

We vowed then and there that we would not wait until it seemed "practical" to take the trips we wanted to take.

Do we need to remodel our bathroom? Yes! Do I need to finally decorate our guest room? Absolutely. It'd be really nice to get a newer car, and start a fund for when children come along--- but.... for now, we save for the trip and we GO!

I read a quote somewhere that was something along the lines of, "Travel is only thing you can spend money on that makes you richer." So if you look at it that way, you are just investing in yourself! :lmao:

It doesn't matter what your financial situation is, everyone has a line in the sand they won't cross. You just have to figure out where yours is. But, the funny thing about sand is that it's constantly shifting with the wind. That line rarely stays in one place.

And at times things get a little muddy. ;)

My Mom was diagnosed with cancer, last April. It's one with not so great odds, because it's aggressive and more resistant to treatment. Of DH's and my parents, my Mom is the youngest (61) and the one that was in the best health. So dealing with the possibility that she could have limited time left, and not really a type that allows for last minute "bucket list" trips, has been really rough.

I keep thinking of all the things that she might not get to enjoy in retirement, because she might not get that far. One of the things I can take comfort in, in the last few years my parents have taken some great trips. We all took a trans-Atlantic cruise to Spain, they went through the Panama Canal, they cruised to Hawaii.

But at the same time, dealing with all the medical stress has also made me more mindful of having extra money for that too My parents hit their OOP max last year, and will again this year. So that's $33K for the 2 years. They have done well enough, that they have the money, but I can still see the stress spending it takes on them, as they have to move it around. I can't imagine the stress NOT having the money would add to the situation. So the trick is finding the balance.

There will always be "more responsible" ways to spend money in life. But you only get one life, and you should fill it as much as possible with things that bring joy to your heart and soul. Only you can answer what those things will be. If you never get to Bora Bora, how will that make you feel?

I'm in the "just do it" camp as well! Go and enjoy!

IMO, as long as someone can take care of their needs and necessities (without relying on others for funds), then there is no need to justify how they spend their own money. For some, travel is important, and other people have other priorities. No better, no worse, just different. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter