How do you keep your hair looking good in the parks?

I put Ouidad heat and humidity gel in my hair, let it air dry until we get to the bus stop, then it goes up in a ponytail. I'll take it out at lunch time because I typically get a headache from it being pulled back, plus it feels good in the AC because my hair will still be damp. I don't even try at WDW to have nice hair, or makeup. It's too hot for me to care how I look lol! And most photos I'm wearing a hat or visor and sunglasses.

I get mine cut short right before vacation. A little hair gel, 5 minutes of blow drying and some hairspray and I'm good to go!

I'm not fussy about my hair at all, and I understand wanting your hair to look nice. So, I hope these suggestions help. They're super easy and quick to manage.

1. I wear a fake hairpiece. :D I can't remember the brand I have, but the style is similar to this...

https://www.amazon.com/FESHFEN-Synthetic-Extensions-Scrunchies-Ponytail/dp/B01HJEGPYO/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hair+you+wear&qid=1551500377&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1

The craziest coaster I've worn it on is Big Thunder, and it stayed on fine. These look kind of fun too but are clips and may hold better depending on your hair...

https://tonibrattin.com/collections/twin-clips/products/toni-twin-clip-voluminous-curl

2. When we went to Florida this past summer, I tried this do-dad called Night Waves, and I was quite surprised that the beachy curls held up in the humidity. What's nice is you can shower at the end of the day and curl your hair while you sleep. It wasn't uncomfortable at all.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/LocALoc-Style-Night-Waves-Heatless-Headband-Curls/47089041

3. I also did a fairly tight French braid at night that was made my hair wavy and stayed so in the heat. If I needed to put my hair up during the day, I just did a dew drop and clipped one of the Minnie Mouse Swap-Your-Bows Bow underneath it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you everyone for your hair secrets! I will definitely be trying a few new products on my next trip. Love the extension scrunchie. I can see that coming in handy for a few upcoming events too.

OP, if the humidity effects your hair have you tried embracing those effects? Enjoy your beach waves! As long as you keep it hydrated, curly/wavy hair is so easy and low maintenance.

This made me laugh out loud, for real. I have wavy hair but it is also short (between chin and shoulder length) and THICK. If I let myself "embrace" the humidity, I look absolutely ridiculous and basically, like a troll doll. My hair literally expands outwards and up, stacking on top of itself. It is not pretty. The waves are large ones, not small enough to look good. My hair basically looks like it has scoliosis. It does one big side to side wave on it's way down. It is the opposite of easy and low maintenance. I actually have my hairdresser thin out my hair when I go in for cuts. He removes like 25-30% of my volume each time. It's ridiculous how much hair ends up on the floor.

OP, try Garnier Sleek & Shine products. I use the full line...shampoo, conditioner, anti frizz serum, anti humidity cream, and just bought a new in shower shampoo booster called sleek shot. Used in conjunction with a flat iron, my hair drops down about 75% in visible volume and stays that way unless it gets wet again in the parks. I will put a hat on for water rides to minimize the effects of wet hair.

This made me laugh out loud, for real. I have wavy hair but it is also short (between chin and shoulder length) and THICK. If I let myself "embrace" the humidity, I look absolutely ridiculous and basically, like a troll doll. My hair literally expands outwards and up, stacking on top of itself. It is not pretty. The waves are large ones, not small enough to look good. My hair basically looks like it has scoliosis. It does one big side to side wave on it's way down. It is the opposite of easy and low maintenance. I actually have my hairdresser thin out my hair when I go in for cuts. He removes like 25-30% of my volume each time. It's ridiculous how much hair ends up on the floor.

OP, try Garnier Sleek & Shine products. I use the full line...shampoo, conditioner, anti frizz serum, anti humidity cream, and just bought a new in shower shampoo booster called sleek shot. Used in conjunction with a flat iron, my hair drops down about 75% in visible volume and stays that way unless it gets wet again in the parks. I will put a hat on for water rides to minimize the effects of wet hair.
Lol, fair enough!

My other solution would be that I always keep my hair long enough to pull up into a bun when all else fails. I love Spin Pins, you twist your hair into a bun and then twist the pins into your bun at a right angle to one another. Just 2 pins are enough to secure my hair, which is thick and falls to about 3 inches below my shoulders when it is dry. And they don't pull at my temples and hairline and give me a headache like a ponytail or traditionally secured bun. There used to be a pack of 3 smaller spin pins that were sold for shorter or fine hair, I use those on my daughter. I own at least a dozen spin pins so I always have 2 with me, just in case.

I usually end up pulling my hair back mid day because it just gets so hot. But in order to calm my wavy hair that gets frizzy in the humidity I condition the crap out of it each morning. I use the Disney conditioner in the room and when it is bottles probably 1/2 a bottle each morning and let it sit for a bit in the shower. Rinse it out then re-condition it with my from home conditioner, and just use the same amount I would at home. I notice a difference by using the extra conditioner vs trips before I started doing that, during the same time of year.

My normal hair routine is blow dry and straighten. I have slight waves and the straightener is just to smooth it out a bit. In the winter at Disney, I don't have to do anything special or different. But, trips during the rest of the year... I can straighten it perfectly, step out into the heat/humidity, and in 3 minutes it's wavy and frizzy. So, I just do a ponytail, resign myself to it, and try not to worry about it!

I’m glad that my wife isn’t so fussy like many on this thread.

It isn't fussy to not want your hair to look like crap when you're taking vacation pictures and making memories. For some of us, the humidity really is a nightmare. My hair gets puffy and I look like Monica on that episode of Friends where they visit - I think it's Barbados.

I could care less how my hair looks there- I am there to relax, have fun and enjoy myself not worry about make up or hair.

We tend to go to WDW in the summer, so with all of the heat and humidity, it’s a challenge.

I don’t look my best, period. I have Rapunzel-like long blonde hair. So I twist it into a bun and wear a Disney baseball cap in the parks.

For our vow renewal at WDW last July, I wore my hair down. I straightened it and stayed in the A/C as long as I could so that it looked good for photos. By the end of the evening it was very frizzy.

I’m glad that my wife isn’t so fussy like many on this thread.
Some people care how they look. I don't think that is fussy. And, Lord, I do not want pictures of me looking like a rag doll. Parks or not. I want to look decent. I would look like a sloppy mess if I didn't care about my hair. Believe it or not, you can have fun and enjoy the parks and look nice too!

And don't get me started on my mani/pedi requirements for vacation (and, frankly every day):flower1:

I basically live in my Minnie Mouse cap when I’m in Florida. Nothing can contain the frizzy hair beast so I stopped trying. I love my Minnie hat though so it’s all good

Attachments

• E6E7C5DF-388F-4072-A0C9-EC5C4899542B.jpeg
    E6E7C5DF-388F-4072-A0C9-EC5C4899542B.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 7

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter