How do you know if wisdom teeth really need to be removed

Hey, me too! I had to have four adult teeth out before I got braces due to crowding, so there was definitely no room for wisdom teeth, either. Those came out during a summer break in college.

Same. Had my first molars in all four corners pulled right before I got my braces on.

Pain and discomfort should be the only reason. Mine were impacted at the age of 19, and I had all 4 removed at once. It was a painful nightmare. I wouldn't put my kid through that unless absolutely necessary.

What you needed was proper pain management. I am sorry your dentist or oral surgeon did not address that properly.

But I disagree - pain and discomfort mean you were too late addressing the issue.

What you needed was proper pain management. I am sorry your dentist or oral surgeon did not address that properly.

But I disagree - pain and discomfort mean you were too late addressing the issue.

I agree. I got mine out before they caused problems (and they definitely would have caused problems) and the worst part of my recovery was that the percocet they gave me for pain made me horribly nauseated. Once I stopped taking it I had zero issues and OTC pain medications were fine.

I had mine removed in my late 20's because of issues - impacted and in pain. I had to go to an oral surgeon, be put under and it took about 2 weeks to heal and it was the one and only time I was able to get a seat on the public bus. Guys would jump up and ask if I wanted them to find the guy who beat me - the bruising was really bad.

My son had his out between his sophomore and junior years in high school. He was having issues. Healing was quick and he didn't have pain after the first couple of days which was managed easily.

My daughter had hers out in between her junior and senior years in high school. She has perfect teeth and her wisdom teeth were starting to go in and crowd the rest so it was the perfect time to get them out. Like my son healing was quick and she didn't have pain after the first couple of days and she didn't even bruise!

Like the OP for both my kids I paid about 2000.00 out of pocket for each of them. It was worth it.

Mine was way more expensive and I'd wished my parents could have had them done when I was a teenager but they had no dental insurance and 4 kids so that was that.

I still have mine at 43. They are impacted but aren't bothering me.

My older 2 have had them removed. Not only does "everyone" get them removed now, but everyone also gets braces if their teeth aren't 100% perfect, and the cost of THOSE was enough to not let the wisdom teeth be the reason the teeth shifted again.

As far as them just wanting your money, dentists don't perform either of these here but I do wonder- are kickbacks (referral fees) standard when they refer you to a specific oral surgeon or orthodontist?

My older 2 have had them removed. Not only does "everyone" get them removed now, but everyone also gets braces if their teeth aren't 100% perfect, and the cost of THOSE was enough to not let the wisdom teeth be the reason the teeth shifted again.

As far as them just wanting your money, dentists don't perform either of these here but I do wonder- are kickbacks (referral fees) standard when they refer you to a specific oral surgeon or orthodontist?
I am a dentist, my spouse is an oral surgeon. In the US, at least in the state where I live, there are no referral fees (kickbacks).

Our two oldest children (20 and 18) both had their wisdom teeth out this summer. Our oldest should have had hers out last year...but we waited on insurance. We chose to have both kids teeth removed this summer so it would be one less concern while off to college this fall. Our son's were $2100 and daughter's were $1900 before insurance.

In the 80's, the Navy made the decision for me. 3 of my 4 molars removed before getting assigned to a submarine. Back then, they let you keep them! I have them to this day.

Sixteen sounds young, maybe find another Dr for a virtual second opinion. According to the oral surgeon I started pestering when my kids started high school, the sweet spot is usually around 18 when teeth are fully formed but haven't rooted to the jaw. Once they root to the jaw it's a whole different mess and that usually happens around 18-20 depending on the person's body, some earlier and some later but an oral surgeon is the best one to ask, or get two second opinions. Call and ask your policy but most plans allow for two back up opinions for surgery, at least one. Personally I wouldn't let a dentist do it, the drugs they use can be dangerous so it wasn't the removal that worried me, it was the backup for an emergency I cared about so we did it with an oral surgeon in a hospital, cost to me was no different.

Warning, be cautious of the $$$ sleight of hand they do with this procedure, one of my kids Dr's was very misleading. This procedure goes to medical not dental if the teeth are impacted . Most people are inexperienced (I was) so be warned that the office will give you one price but you agree to pay for unexpected issues. Then they spring a bone graft on you so you get a totally different bill at the end and you are stuck, it's how they pad the bill from the costs that are limited and grab into your wallet outside of the protective cost measures with the insurance. From what I understand the bone graft thing is a big money maker. Might be needed for some people, I don't want to say it's never warranted but my experience was so sketchy I'd give a big heads up - there is a thing where the office forfeits all money if they didn't bill properly so I did an appeal but the office is refusing to release the records, keep saying all the requests get somehow lost so I am stuck. The bone graft would be something I'd ask about and I would want the price defined ahead of time. Non impacted teeth are also not covered but might make sense since the insurance is paying for most of it anyway.

Best advice is ask around to other parents near where you live, preferably those with older kids, they can let you know how an office operates.

My husband's didn't bother him until he was in his 40s, and whomever upthread said earlier is better - his recovery was much slower. My youngest had them done before college, they weren't bothering them yet, but it was coming and we agreed that doing it their Senior year in high school was better than emergency surgery when they were in a different state. My son's haven't come out yet, he is 22, but lives at home. Mine came out shortly after college, when they got painful. We've had dental insurance cover all the removals.

I'm wondering how to know when you really need to do this.

My 16 year old was referred over a year ago for an evaluation for wisdom teeth removal. Due to covid appt cancelations, it was just done yesterday and our out of pocket is 2k.

She has no pain, no issues, no crowding.

Part of me thinks it's not really needed and they are doing it because that's when lots of people have them removed. But if they aren't causing any issues, do we really need to do this? Of course the dentist says yes because they want money. I think they probably tell every kid around this age they should be removed.

That is the age to do it. I had ZERO issues with mine at that age. They really never broke through. Fast forward to when I was an adult and one tried to come in but was crowded. Then it eventually started to crumble. The other 3 remained impacted. All 4 needed to come out, and the roots were growing around the nerves, etc. The oral surgeon told me I was the most complicated case he'd done in 32 years of doing them. Took over 4 hours in surgery instead of the single hour he had booked lol. They all had 3 roots instead of 2 as well. He said that at 16 is the perfect age to do them. The roots continue growing, etc, as you age. I was 30 when they were eventually removed.

I'm a dental hygienist. We get a crate of oranges from the oral surgeon and cookies from the orthodontist each Christmas. Nothing else besides the occasional package of referral pads ever comes to our office from them (and I'm the one who was doing ALL bill paying and banking for the office, so I saw every penny that came and went for 2+ years).

I'm a dental hygienist. We get a crate of oranges from the oral surgeon and cookies from the orthodontist each Christmas. Nothing else besides the occasional package of referral pads ever comes to our office from them (and I'm the one who was doing ALL bill paying and banking for the office, so I saw every penny that came and went for 2+ years).
Not entirely on topic here but . . . .
My husband does order the cookies sent to his referring dentists at Christmas!!:P

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter