Votes: 28 17.1%
  • Like Ant

Votes: 131 79.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 3.0%

• Total voters
Ant.....raised in CA, always on west coast area

I also have only heard Ah-nt on TV

I grew up in the Boston area and have lived most of my 60 years in New England, so "Ahhh_nt" it is! DD23 (who has lived in New England for most of her life also) calls her aunts whatever the "family" name was that the cousins were using, so her East Coasts aunts are Ahh_nt and her midwest aunts (Ohio/Indiana) are Ant.

Ant - Michigan

Although I do like the sound of it pronounced as Ah-nt. We have a favorite campground in the upper peninsula, Aune Osborn and it is pronounced Ah-nee. You pronounce the "u" in the word August, also automobile, automatic, etc. so why not with the word "aunt" too? But, I'm almost 60 and have always pronounced it as "ant" which is how I was raised to say it, so probably won't change it up now.

I voted other because I live in NH but my mom's side of the family lives in Ky so we call them ants. My Ah-nt lives in Mass and she is my Ah-nt. As a child she would get mad at me if I called her ant because she would say, "I'm not that thing that lives on the ground." It is defiantly a regional thing. My nephew and nieces that live in NH also call me Ah-nt or Ah-nt-e.

Rhymes with "can't," from a little mining/Ozark Mountain town about 100 miles down the road from St. Louis.

I say ahnt and DH says ant. I am from north of Boston and he is from South of Boston.

Ant- I'm from New York City and that's the only way I heard it pronounced until I got to college and heard people say ah-nt.
I also grew up around a lot of people who called their aunts ti-ti (Spanish) and ah-zi (Italian) so the ah-nt/ant debate was less likely to happen.
I don't know about the rest of you with your cars bluetooth, but mine forces me to say ah-nt or she won't recognize the name of my aunts when I try to call them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter