How do you save for Disney? How do you save up for the extras?

We use DH's bonus that comes in October each year, but that isn't always the most reliable as it is diff. amounts each year.

We also usually get something back in taxes.

Then I have an ING account we put $$ into each month. If it comes out before I see it I just budget accordingly.

Dawn

I tend to save better if the money just comes right out my checking account without me noticing it.

I auto deposit $200 every pay period in a savings account. I also budget based on 24 pay periods but both my husband and I are paid biweekly, so we each have two extra paychecks for "extras" like vacations or home repairs etc....

I work my rewards programs the best I can to help pay for our trips.

I shovel as much money as I can into my saving account. Sometimes it is $20 and sometimes it is only a dollar. But every dollar adds to the total and my balance is increasing.

I do shops for Product Pickup that pay pretty well. I use the money from that as pocket money. If I still have cash when I get paid for the last shop, that extra cash goes in a cup for the next trip. When I have a decent amount, I put it in the bank and transfer to my savings where it earns me interest.

Any change that I get goes in my Disney cups. I have three old refillable mugs and a souvenir cup from Food and Wine. Each is dedicated to a different coin to make it easier to roll.

We too do the change jar thing and it really adds up. I also do a little of what everyone else says....I have money taken directly out of my account on each payday and it goes to ING (which is now something different). If the money is there, first of all it is out of sight out of mind...and it takes 3-5 business days to get it out and back into your normal checking account so you don't hit as it is not convenient and readily available.

If you have time, can you do something like 31 bags and become a consultant? My mother in law just started and has already made almost 500.00 in one month!

Also I saw something out on facebook....for each week of year you put that much money into a savings account...so week 1 put in a 1.00, week 2 put in 2.00 etc. By the end of the year, I forget to the exactly amount but it is over 1K I believe.

I do an automatic transfer set up on payday. a tiny bit from my check and my husband's checks on payday. Goes into the ING (is it Capital One now?) account and then save it up so that I can use that to roll into the whole Target deal. The plans is to have 3K saved up for December so we can take advantage of the coupon. ;)

Tax refund, reward points from Disney Visa, consignment sale/store (kids clothes and toys) and my husband's freelance work.

Every night we empty ALL our changes from pockets, wallets and it goes into a change jar. When I pay cash for thing I don't ever give change to the cashier. Just paper money that way there is more $ for our Disney fund. We also put away whatever the amount I have saved from using coupons at the grocery store in the jar. In just a few months we have over $150.00. OR]

We pay for many things with cash. We have found that we are more careful and stay within our budget when we pay with cash.

I have an established grocery budget per month. At month end, if I have money left in my grocery budget, I put it away for Disney. I also buy things that I can take to Disney as they are on sale to cut down on food costs at Disney.

Before we leave for WDW, I take a small collapsible ice chest and fill it with snacks, powder drink packets, etc. if we are flying. When we get to Disney, we go to a local grocery store, like Winn-Dixie, and purchase milk, fruit, & lunch items and ice. We have cereal or pastries and fruit for breakfast. If our touring plans are going well, we come back to our room (or campsite) and have lunch and rest. We will usually eat dinner in the parks.

We loved the convenience of the dining plan, but when on a shoestring budget, camping in FW, cooking your meals, and buying tickets from an authorized broker make for a budget friendly trip!

We use my husbands mid year bonus. We go in Sept. and have in the past celebrated my birthday but this year my oldest DD will be a senior and we will celebrate her. We know we will probably book a moderate but I would really like to surprise her by staying in a deluxe.

Oh I love these ideas!
The garage sale for me was also a bust. I don't think I'm very good at that!
I use Wells Fargo and have a plan where everytime I swipe my card $1 goes into a high yield savings account. They also allow you to transfer $100 per month (that's the max amt) from checkings so I do that as well. I use this as savings and it really adds up.
For spending money we make a "Disney Fund Box" for each trip. We put in any money we can (excluding pennies- those go in a jar). We usually get a decent amount there too.
I go on a strict budget to Disney. It may not be the way for everyone but it allows us to go once a year. We stay in a value and have a dining plan. Then we have a budget per day and don't go over it. We bring snacks and quick easy breakfasts with us. Both of my girls bring a gift card that I get from Publix and that is their own spending money.

- secret shopping!!! (made over $3K since January)
- Southwest Visa for free flights
- sell at biannual kids' consignment sales
- DH picks up side projects here & there
- we sold gold & made over $1K (there is thread on here about a place you can send it in NYC for the best rates)

Many years ago my husband was laid off .I got worried about what we would owe in taxes at the end of the year that I increased my federal withholding tax to 15.00$ additional each week. Well my husband found a new job 3 months later and I forgot to change it back. So far we get back enough to pay for the hotel,tickets and airfare. And this has worked for 4 trips so far:wizard:

Another mystery shopper here. I planned an "AP year" with my friends. I then ran the numbers, looked at the total, looked at my income (I'm a nanny) and started laughing. Shopping has allowed me to take on a "second job" around my weird work schedule and go on trips. If I want to add another shop , I pick up extra shops. Been at it since Sept and so far, so good... Paid for the AP, two weekend trips and next week's full week. It will also pay for two more weeks, an AP upgrade to Premier, and a long weekend for the DL half. I work a LOT but I also get to set the schedule, so it's worth it!

Eta: I also pay for everything with my Southwest Visa and get appx half of my flights for free... And do FuelPerks at the grocery for free gas. It adds up!

Angie789 said:
- secret shopping!!! (made over $3K since January)
- Southwest Visa for free flights
- sell at biannual kids' consignment sales
- DH picks up side projects here & there
- we sold gold & made over $1K (there is thread on here about a place you can send it in NYC for the best rates)

Who do you secret shop for?

How I "set aside" extra money for Disney:

When I go grocery shopping, I will often times get $20 cash-back when I check out with my debit, which I put aside in a lockbox. Have saved back close to $500 this way. It just helps remind me not to spend in on other things!

My son's school also has a year-long fundraiser where you order gift cards and a percentage is given back to the school (and deducted from your tuition!). I've saved up $300 for Disney in gift cards this way.

My tax refund is the main source of funds for our trips, however. :)

Yep, Chase now has a Disney Rewards debit card! Not only can you earn Disney Dollars on every purchase you make with your debit card, but you also get a 10% discount on purchases over $50 at Disney Stores, 20% off select guided tours, $50 onboard credit for Disney Cruise Lines when you use the card to pay in full, and 10% off select dining locations (usually lunch at resort hotel locations). But the best part, in my opinion, is a private meet and greet in Innoventions (We met Mickey and Pluto) WITH A FREE 5x7!!:cool1:

First of all, we love the All star resorts...tried 'em all as they were built, and settled on the ASMo as our home base:cool1:I brown bag my work lunch--mostly 5 days a week;we do our coffee at home; we charge on the Disney Visa, I time the Annual Pass and Tables in Wonderland dining discount to get 2 trips covered by each in a 12-month period, and I pay attention to any resort discounts offered, even those that come through a week before our reservation. We started going when DS and DD were 8 and 10 every other year (Dollywood was our go-to on the other years) and then started the annual trips when the Values were built. We've done everything from EPCOT Segway to Star Wars Weekend to Keys to the Kingdom in MK and we'll be back again in 2013! pixiedust:I love a challenge if making it work::yes::

We put the refund from our state income tax into our vacation acct. Then my company direct deposits $25 a week of my paycheck into the vacation acct.
We save all of our pocket change which nets us roughly $150

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter