• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you see the fireworks without seeing the first Paint The Night?

TheDoleWhipper

Long live the tiki gods!
We will be at disneyland next week and we are planning to see the fireworks from the mainstreet/hub area but we don't want to see the first Paint The Night. (We will probably see the later one on another one of our days, because is supposed to be less crowded). I have read through the PTN / FW strategy thread, and I have heard stories of guests who weren't already on mainstreet for the first parade being hearded towards Tomorrowland for less than optimal fireworks viewing. I heard that you can wait out in the shops on mainstreet, and I have also heard that you can wait in Adventureland or Frontierland and fill up MS as the first parade is ending. So i am just wondering the best strategy to be allowed on mainstreet after the PTN parade to see the fireworks. Thank you for all your advice! :)

Following. I'm afraid I won't get to see the fireworks and I'm really upset if we can't. I have two special needs kiddos. A five hour camp out for a spot is not doable.

Spots fill-up almost instantaneously for the fireworks. Be exactly where you want to be once the parade ends. I waited around in the shops, then made my way to the walking path a little before the parade ended so I was aligned with the rope in the spot I wanted to be. You then have to charge your way in, hopefully before it's completely filled up. This worked for my family. Good luck! I made my way into the shops around 8:45 and waited there for about a half hour before being able to claim my spot for the fireworks.

No matter what right now watching the parade and/or fireworks from the Main Street/hub area is going to require a pretty long wait or some stress inducing strategy and quick moving fighting crowds. If that's not for you, consider gambling and watching it from IASW (knowing sometimes the projections there don't work without notice) or watching from the riverfront area after F!

Last Wednesday the 4th, at 6:10p (for the 8:50p parade) every front row spot on Main St was taken (I remember because I took a pic to show a friend). We ended up getting the first row behind the benches in front of the train station (but on Main St) around 7:30p and it only got more crowded from there. So, if last week is any indication that's what the crowds for the parades will be like. The earlier suggestion to wait in the shops and then make a rush for it may be your best bet...

I would suggest just watching it from somewhere other than Main Street. I've experienced the IASM projections and they're nice (as long as they are working). You don't get the low level stuff, but it's an amazing view of the larger fireworks. I've watched the view from Fantasmic on Youtube and while it doesn't seem as good, I think it's still not too bad. But then, I think the projections are overrated. To me, they take too much attention away from the fireworks. It felt like I had to have ADHD in order to keep up with the show since it's everywhere. So, I don't feel like you miss out on much without the projections.

I did the shop strategy when I saw it a couple weeks ago. Friends and I had dinner at Jolly Holiday and saw a bit of the parade from there while we wait, then when we spotted the Mickey float, we hightailed it to the shops and headed near one of the entrances that lets out on Main Street. As soon as the float came by, we ran out and got a prime spot. Good luck!

Just went through this on Monday. We decided to do Fantasmic! since my DD is no longer afraid of the dragon AND Disney has a knack for cancelling fireworks if someone sneezed the wrong way (before you flame me, they were cancelled on Sunday night!). Anyway, we watched F! and then waited for the fireworks there. They started about 10 minutes late for some reason. The water screens were working and so we got to see some of the stuff that's on MS. My opinion.....nothing will to Wishes from the MK for me, but it was still a good show. But there was no way we could've fought F! crowds flooding to the hub. There's just too much happening at one time right now.

BTW, we re-entered the park that day at 6:50 and Main Street was already 2 deep all the way down for PTN. We ended up grabbing a spot for the 11pm parade, which we were lucky enough to be at the right place to grab a hub spot as one of the benches were moved. Lucky.

Just went through this on Monday. We decided to do Fantasmic! since my DD is no longer afraid of the dragon AND Disney has a knack for cancelling fireworks if someone sneezed the wrong way (before you flame me, they were cancelled on Sunday night!). Anyway, we watched F! and then waited for the fireworks there. They started about 10 minutes late for some reason. The water screens were working and so we got to see some of the stuff that's on MS. My opinion.....nothing will to Wishes from the MK for me, but it was still a good show. But there was no way we could've fought F! crowds flooding to the hub. There's just too much happening at one time right now.

BTW, we re-entered the park that day at 6:50 and Main Street was already 2 deep all the way down for PTN. We ended up grabbing a spot for the 11pm parade, which we were lucky enough to be at the right place to grab a hub spot as one of the benches were moved. Lucky.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. This is basically going to be my plan for Sunday. 9pm F! (seated in the RBT dining package area), then stay put for fireworks, then work our way over to Town Square for 11pm PtN.

How was the traffic getting back over to the Hub after fireworks? I want to see PtN from Town Sq. because it starts from that end and then we can make a quick exit out of there after it's over. I will be attempting to keep DS7 up super late for this plan to work. We'll see how it goes!

Also, did most of the people in the F! area stay seated for the fireworks? I have heard that some people stand up and a lot of people leave and might block the view.

As an aside to the comment about the fireworks being cancelled. It's my understanding there are strict limits on the amount of wind (>10 MPH at altitude) or wind direction (to South). It has to do with DL being able to have any debris fall on their property and not in the surround areas.

So, if the wind is over 10 MPH or is towards the south, the fireworks will be cancelled.

For me, some trips, there are no fireworks at all during my 5 day visit, other times we have them every night. So, if you want fireworks, make an attempt to see the on your first night of your multi-day visit as you never know when they actually occur.

Don't forget, after the fireworks it can be a exodus down Main Street and towards the exits. Beware of the strollers.

How was the traffic getting back over to the Hub after fireworks? I want to see PtN from Town Sq. because it starts from that end and then we can make a quick exit out of there after it's over. I will be attempting to keep DS7 up super late for this plan to work. We'll see how it goes!

Also, did most of the people in the F! area stay seated for the fireworks? I have heard that some people stand up and a lot of people leave and might block the view.

Traffic wasn't too bad going back, but we move slow with 3 kids. We were at the back of the pack and most of those folks who beat us probably beat us to the good parade spots. Good luck with keeping everyone awake!

As for fireworks by the Rivers of America, about 25% left the area - probably to go to the hub. Yikes! The rest filled in the area and eventually everyone sat down after a few "down in front" comments.

There was a tropical storm on Sunday night. It was raining off and on overnight and very windy here, though I'm closer to the coast. It was the remnants of what had been a category 4 hurricane on Saturday and was predicted to hit So Cal. This was something that one could anticipate and is certainly more than a sneeze.

So the fact that I will have two kids in a double stroller and two elderly parents, we should just kiss fireworks goodbye? We can't charge our way in anywhere and we can't wait for four or five hours. This really angers me that they can't manage the crowds any better. I love fireworks and wanted to get to see them on my daughter's first birthday. It seems highly unfair that the people able to wait that long are ruining it for the rest of us. Guess I better warn my parents. This is likely their last trip :(.

So the fact that I will have two kids in a double stroller and two elderly parents, we should just kiss fireworks goodbye? We can't charge our way in anywhere and we can't wait for four or five hours. This really angers me that they can't manage the crowds any better. I love fireworks and wanted to get to see them on my daughter's first birthday. It seems highly unfair that the people able to wait that long are ruining it for the rest of us. Guess I better warn my parents. This is likely their last trip :(.

I can sympathize. My daughter is in a wheelchair, and it is exceedingly difficult to find a spot that she can see from without someone blocking her view. Even if we invest the time to get a great spot, it only takes one dad with a kid on his shoulders to block her view.

The upside is that there are that many fewer people scrambling for the rides.

If DLR starts "managing" it, they will find a way to make a profit on it.

I wish they could do FP for these like they do with WOC and F!. You could try to watch the fireworks It's a Small World where it's a little less crowded.

Having problems with the quote feature right now - this is in response to lovebug33

If you are willing to watch from some place else, you shouldn't have a problem. We watched over Memorial Day weekend from IASW mall and had 4 adults & 6 kids (2 double strollers). We did have to get there early, but not nearly as early as Main Street and we used the time to feed everybody dinner. Using your double stroller to save space, I'm sure your parents could sit down elsewhere and then join before the parade comes through.

I sympathize as well. Disney has made it very difficult for those with disabilities (wheelchair, ecv, stroller as w/c) to get the Main Street experience with the fireworks. We simply cannot rush into a crowd. And God forbid if someone gets bumped or trips over a stroller in the process. And really, it was poor design on Disney's part that has caused this crowd rushing situation. I can't really blame those that are able to do it, I blame Disney for making people feel like they HAVE to do it.

I, however, won't have to deal with it because my 8 yr old daughter adamantly refuses to go into the parks after dark since our last trip. I guess I should just be happy that she at least agrees to go in the daytime.

I can sympathize. My daughter is in a wheelchair, and it is exceedingly difficult to find a spot that she can see from without someone blocking her view. Even if we invest the time to get a great spot, it only takes one dad with a kid on his shoulders to block her view.

The upside is that there are that many fewer people scrambling for the rides.

If DLR starts "managing" it, they will find a way to make a profit on it.
There are wheelchair spots reserved that I saw on Main St. Unfortunately it is not impossible for someone to block those as well. Have you tried having a family member stand in front of your daughter to reserve the spot, then switch and stand behind her right before the parade reaches you? With the new fireworks show there is so much to see besides just the fireworks that no one can see it all. If you can't get into a designated area for the fireworks at least when there are lower fireworks you can find a spot where she can see projections in Main St or Matterhorn.

We usually watch the fireworks from in front of the Jolly Holiday Bakery, next to the Guest Relations tip board. They rope the front of the section and the sidewalk in front of the rope is for moving traffic only. Sometimes the people in the first row sit and sometimes they stand. There doesn'the seem to be a rule there. You won't be able to see the Main Street projections, but you will be able to see the castle and the Matterhorn.

This area is not on the parade route (but you will be able to see the tops of the floats), so maybe you could get there only an hour to an hour and a half early? Truthfully, I don't know for sure since I haven't been since the new shows started (10 days!), but our past experience with this little area has been great-and not nearly as sardine-like as the people in the hub just a sidewalk in front of us. may be this could work for your group with snack time while waiting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter