How do you think social distancing in resort pools will work?

Threehearts

DIS Veteran
I was just watching the national news and they brought up how difficult it will be this summer to control social distancing in pools. The experts said that with the SARS virus, they did determine that the virus could be spread by "sewage" leakage but they don't know enough above Covid to say. They had officials on from several cities saying that their community pools would likely be closed because they couldn't possibly put distance and mask-wearing restrictions in place while people are in the water. They did all agree that pool use would be severely limited by the need to reduce the numbers of people in the pool.

All this brings me to the question of whether a summer visit will be enjoyable if it's steaming hot and we would need to wait to take our turn to use the pool(however that would work?). I do understand that health comes above all else.

I read on another thread about servers wearing masks and it would make sense that guests would as well if that's the direction Disney is going in. That on top of limited pool use in August has me thinking that maybe our traditional August visit will need to be postponed.

Thoughts?

Chlorine kills viruses, so the pool water is safe. As long as they limit the number of people, it should be at least as safe as being in the theme parks. This is being discussed in another thread, and as I commented there, I think this would be a great opportunity for CMs to require magic bands to enter all resort pools from now on. That will kerp the crashers out and reduce crowding.

Chlorine kills viruses, so the pool water is safe. As long as they limit the number of people, it should be at least as safe as being in the theme parks. This is being discussed in another thread, and as I commented there, I think this would be a great opportunity for CMs to require magic bands to enter all resort pools from now on. That will kerp the crashers out and reduce crowding.
If someone who has the virus is in the pool close to you, and they cough or sneeze in your direction (not on purpose) it won't do you much good no matter how feet of chlorinated water you are standing in.

I agree, lbv7. I'm just picturing all the kids waiting in line in the sun for their turn in the pool. It's going to take some careful planning from resort management.

I think it is a little different than gift shops in that people are in the water/pool. I'm not sure how you make the people in the pool get out to give the next group their turn to get in. Even if you let 15 families in a pool and keep them 6 feet apart and potentially have them wear masks- the challenges will be formidable. Full disclosure- I have no idea of how pool supervision works beyond enjoying the experience so maybe it will be more simple that I am imagining.

I think it is a little different than gift shops in that people are in the water/pool. I'm not sure how you make the people in the pool get out to give the next group their turn to get in. Even if you let 15 families in a pool and keep them 6 feet apart and potentially have them wear masks- the challenges will be formidable. Full disclosure- I have no idea of how pool supervision works beyond enjoying the experience so maybe it will be more simple that I am imagining.
I expect the capacity will be policed at the pool gate rather than in the pool itself. Lifeguards will blow the whistle on people who are not behaving appropriately, just as they do for any other pool safety issue. I actually think it'll be easier to social distance at a pool (a big open space) than in a gift shop where people are trying to navigate through narrow rows of merchandise at the same time.

I can see the resorts putting staff people in the line to get up to the water slides. What I mean is a social distance safety lifeguard enforcing the kids and adults staying six feet apart.

I think this would be a great opportunity for CMs to require magic bands to enter all resort pools from now on. That will kerp the crashers out and reduce crowding.
Are crashers really much of a problem? I thought Disney cracked down on that already. BC pools need a special wristband, and I thought there were MB scans at other highly desirable pools like Poly. I was under the impression that some pools don’t have much in the way of verification because they’re not as desirable - can’t imagine the All Stars are an alluring target for pool crashing.

...glad to hear chlorine helps limit/kill the virus. Max levels of chlorine in the hotel pools please!

Maybe health checks before they allow you into the pool area? Just like before they will let you in the park (at least that is the rumor).

Deni said in the Disunplugged podcast this week that local pools in central florida are opening with more cleaning guidelines. I could see that happening with resort pools. Limit how many people are allowed in the pool area and just like how lifeguards will tell people not to run around the pool or dive head first into a shallow area they'll probably tell people to spread out if they're getting too close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter