How do you travel solo?

BeckWhy

<font color=FF99FF>The Tag Fairy prefers to remain
How do you do it? I mean, it's costly (and the less people to split the room costs the more expensive), and what about people to hang out with and talk to?

I just do it. My husband is severely Disney impaired and he humors my passion for WDW.

As far as finding people to talk with and hang out with, we have a trips central by MargieJ stuck to the top of this board that has a post for each month. You can find other solos or adults who will be there the same time you will. It's easy to meet up and it's fun too. We also have a thread started by Bob Brazeal, a dining central where solo and/or kid free travelers can find someone with whom to share a meal. There is a separate post for each month.

I like touring solo as much as I like touring with others, I never feel lonely. But I'm always meeting up with others too.

Katholyn

Hi
Well I need a vacation now. and why not go to disney?
I've been there twice now with boyfriend. Now I'm in a situation where no one else can seem to travel with me, so I decided the heck with it I'll go alone. I've never traveled alone before so it should be interesting. I'd like to meet up with some others that may be going alone next week.

:bounce: :Pinkbounc

i can hardly wait for my first solo trip:D i have always gone before with my family so the cost of the room is the same , still comes out of my purse LOL;) the rest of the trip is actually less expensive...only need one airfare, one ticket for events and meals should be way cheaper! because i only had to buy for one i am able to do some things, like behind the scenes tour and cirque de soleil which would have cost far more multiplied by 3 or 4 , especially when i factor in the TERRIBLE exchange on our canadian dollar:( wdw is probably one of the best places to people watch and to strike up conversations with cm's and other travellor's. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

katypop

Having been to WDW several times solo, I can tell you it's a blast. You get to do what you want, when you want, go where you want, dine where and when you want. I had planned each day out ahead of time, made ps arrangements, etc. and I usually following these plans, but for some reason this trip was a little different. I kept some of the PS, but ended up splitting the day into 2 and sometimes 3 parks. I would go to the EE park first thing, spend the morning, leave around lunchtime, head back to my resort for a break, then later on head for another park. I found that breaking up the day, kept things refreshing.

SAVING MONEY:
1. Room: I constantly check Mousesavers.com for discount codes on rooms and book it as a "room-only" reservation.

2. Passes: Since I seem to go at least once a year, this past trip I invested in an annual pass. I was at WDW for 11 days and visited the parks each day, so this saved alot of money.

3. Meals: I'm not a big breakfast eater, so I bring either Pop-Tarts or Nutra-grain bars with me in my suitcase. I also pack snack stuff to save $$ on that too. I usually get the snack-size packages of pretzels or Doritos, as well as cookies. This past trip I bought an M&M pack from my local BJ's. This came in handy when I needed a quick fix. When planning other meals, lunch tends to be cheaper than dinner at most places. I tried the 1900 Park Fare & Chef Mickey's for dinner. Hated Chef Mickey's, but LOVED the Park Fare. I also always dine at the Crystal Palace. What's nice about this one is that you can have a good size lunch, then a light dinner. Another solo plus is being able to dine where and when you want. This past trip I had the chance to try several new places. You've got to try Spoodle's at the Boardwalk. VERY GOOD!!! Another great place is the Concourse Steakhouse! I did Cindy's for an early lunch one day. The food was excellent, as was the service and with the early time, much less crowded.

When I go solo, I ALWAYS stay on-property for many reasons. I never rent a car (which saves $$), since I don't leave WDW, so by staying in a Disney resort, I use the boats, monorail & buses to get everywhere. I also use common sense while I'm at WDW, both in the parks and at the resort. I always double lock my room door, even if I'm only going to be a minute. I also make sure I am secure in my surroundings. I never take too much money with me to the parks. Usually a little cash & my room key. Less to lose. I usually bring a book with me too. It breaks up the time while waiting for a show to start, while standing in line or while dining. I find that the CM's are very friendly when they notice you are solo. Make sure you take advantage of the single's line on Test Track. MUCH MUCH faster than the fast pass or regular line. Road it 5 times in a row on my last trip. I found myself taking more time to absorb the parks and the architecture. At AK for instance, I took a nice quiet walk around the Tree of Life looking at all of the animals carved into it. Most people don't bother and it is a really quiet walk and you can hear the soft music in the background. I found wandering around the parks is fun. I also found alot of people tend to strike up a quick conversation while waiting in lines or for a show.

What I'm trying to say is... if I go with friends the room is divided up among us (so if the room is $100 a night, and there is for of us, one only pays $25 a night) and if I go myself, it costs $100 a night. Foodwise, I never eat a lot, so if I buy a meal, then I end up throwing half of it away (I usually can't even buy just a hamburger and eat the whole thing). So if I go with friends, we split the meal. Therefore meal is like half price. And then airport transportation (not just from MCO to Disney, but also from my house the the closest airport) if someone else goes, we can split the bill and gas money and what not. Other than that, everything else is the same price...

Becky,

You might as well ask how people can afford to live alone. Or how a single income could afford to pay for themselves and thier whole family.

Yes it is cheaper if you split it amoung friends but most people don't go with friends they go with thier family. So to them traveling solo is actually less expensive.

Bill, You are right--It may be cheaper to "split" the hotel room, but it is made up for in countless ways--eating when and where I want to, resting when I need to and not worrying that I am ruining someone's trip, seeing the shows and attractions I want to see (I have never been able to get anyone to go watch Tink fly and I'm going to do it this trip!) I am not really spending much more this trip than in 2000 when I went with others (my budget is withing $35 of that trip--and I'm staying the same amount of time & at a nicer resort--Dolphin!)

I am used to paying my own way for things--I do live alone and although I enjoy being with others, I also enjoy my own company. I am leaving the day after school lets out & after a year of worrying about the needs of a class full of second graders, I am looking forward to some "me" time!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I want to go, but none of my friends are old enough or want to go. And I can't afford to get a room by myself, plus a park ticket, plus food, airfare, and airport transfers (not to mention to pay for my souveniers, my film, and my cassettes). Even with the discount codes its still too much (the All Star Resorts are $564 6 nights for when I want to go).

Maybe I'm just asking for suggestions, I dont know.

I know what you are saying. Are you a college student? Money is tight? I have no suggestions for you except perhaps for you to wait until you find someone who loves Disney as much as you do and can afford to pay their half of the expenses. Or wait until you can save enough money to afford the kind of trip you want to make as a solo.

I prefer to stay onsite but there are some really good deals out there at the hotels off Disney property. Have you considered doing something like that?

Katholyn

Yeah, I'm in college til I'm like 23o871984712088471084 years old ;) . LoL! I'm a psych student so I have to go for 8 years to get my doctorate, not to mention a extra year cuz I changed my major. Anyways, I have money to go alone, but it's like, I don't want to spend it, or something, I dunno. Most of my friends are disney freaks, but they are all under 18 and my mom feels its not good if I go with them (liability reasons). And plus, knowing me, I doubt I could go solo. I'm kinda the one that needs someone there to tan with and talk to, considering thats all I do!

Dear Beckwhy,

Hi, I am in your shoes!!! I'm not a college student but I do want to go to WDW but can't find anyone to go with. After readings everyone responses to your question, I am trying to talk myself into going solo. I have never traveled alone so this will be a very big step for me. The thought of flying alone, completely freaks me out!!!!!

Look under "trip reports" there is a young woman who recently went solo. It sounds like she had a wonderful time. Maybe you should e-mail her and see what suggestions she can give you.

LAH

I was in the same boat about 3 years ago, no one could go and I desperately need a vacation, so I decided to go it alone. It was wonderful!!!!!!!!!! I do it 1 or 2 times a year ever since. This summer we are having a reunion, and I don't want to "cheat" myself out of my solo vacation, so I am going solo in September. It is a real realaxing vacation for me and I enjoy it sooooo much:Pinkbounc

Beckwhy - have you looked into the Disney College program? A friend's son was in it and he spent four months there. Disney works you to death, doesn't pay very well, you still have to go to school but he loved every minute of it. He went back at Christmas to work during his winter break.

C.

BeckWhy, maybe as a psych student you can understand my thinking. I'm a high school teacher at an all boys military school-very stressful (although I love my job). I call my solo trips my "mental health retreats". Figure the cost of a solo trip is much less than the cost of the therapy I'd need if I didn't take a solo trip occassionally! Might work for being a student-high stress, "need" for down time?

Hi,

Best advice is to pick a date and go by yourself. Make it a smaller vacation maybe only 4 days. Go in the off season (after you take your finals in Dec. ) second week of Dec. is always slow as long as you have checked out of the hotel by the Dec. 17/18th before X-mas crowd comes in. This way you get to use discount codes for hotel room (AS at this time usually are only $60 for room only codes). Begin saving now. If you have 7 months to save, write down a budget and stick to it, you may only have to save $100-$140 per month if that. I have a budget worked out for myself for 4 nights in offseason for about $900 as a solo traveler.

I have to travel solo for work. Yes, sometimes its scary but its also very liberating. Use your common sense and you'll be alright. Although I have always gone with family, there are times when I am alone in the parks for hours at a time (family doesn't like to ride the same rides so we split up and meet later on). I always find that I am talking to someone in line or the CM's and I always bring a little something to read anyway for those off times. Just do it.

Figment2: I've read up on the college program, except I don't have 4 months out of school to work, a place to stay down there, a car, and (not to be weird or immature or anything), but I don't think I could be away from my boyfriend for that long.

Simba's Mom: Lol! Yeah I see your point. Disney always relieves most of my stress, but I found out (at least for me, it might be different for you because you are older and have different problems that I do), but my stress will be waiting for me when I get home.

Beckwhy,
I am taking my first (pleasure) solo trip May 1 through May 6. I went solo once before on biz so the company paid for most everything.
When first planned I was going with a friend. They had to back out. The only expense that changed for me was the room cost. Since I will be going twice this year, I am buying a premium annual pass. I hoping this will save some expense on room.
I am not much for tanning, wrong complexion type, burn too easy. I do like to talk and I am hoping to hit Pleasure Island two nights during my stay. If my travel dates fit into your schedule, contact me and we can talk and see if any arrangements, to benefit both of us, are possible

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter