• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How do you?

I would love to explore America and holidaythere. You guys are so lucky being so close to all the US has to offer :)

Your post made me smile! It is ironic that you envy Americans because I envy the Brits right now. I am in the process of planning a trip to England next summer, and so far the cost is staggering! The airfare alone for four of us is killing me! Want to trade places? :)

Last year the holiday cost us $16,000. And this was a fairly modest holiday, nothing too extravagant. For this price, we could go anywhere really, California, Hawaii or Australia among other places. Sometimes I do wonder whether we are spending our money in the right place. We've been trying to do up the house for Years but WDW always gets prioritized. I do miss it terribly, but recently I have been noticing Disney seems to be getting too greedy.

The dining plan prices have soared. We have gotten a free regular DDP with our package at SSR this year. To upgrade to deluxe which we really wanted to do, would be £1200. However just two years ago in 2011 it would have been only £700 which is a HUGE amount less. This has made me feel a bit bitter towards Disney if I am honest.

It is getting ridiculous. We're from the UK too but there's just the two of us. It's going to be a couple of years before we can even think of going back. I don't mind waiting because the Fantasyland expansion will be finished and maybe they'll have done some other stuff, but I dread to think how much prices will have risen between now and then.

We go in spurts. We have annuals this year and since we're within reasonable driving distance, will have gone half a dozen times this year before they expire. How do we keep from burning out? We don't stay for long stays - usually 4 nights tops. We try to stay at different resorts (DVC), different restaurants, and do not stay in the parks from dusk to dawn, and sometimes don't go to all the parks in a visit. We won't be renewing our annuals next year as we want to go other places. In a few years, we'll probably get annuals again. If we do decide to go there on an non-annual year, we'll just use it as a resort - a place to simply relax and unwind. Having the annuals is restricting, imho, it makes you want to use them to get your money's worth, yet restricts you from seeing other places that year.

I think for me, Disney connects me to my childhood and that’s a big part of the magic. I visited WDW with my grandparent in the 80s, played in Magic Music Days in the 90s and had our honeymoon there in 2000.

I’ve seen it through a child’s eyes, as an adult and now with my own children. The last two years we had the good fortune to visit twice each year. Once without our kids and once with and it is a very different trip with and without.

I’d have to now agree with a few others on this thread and say that I prefer the every other year rotation. I think it helps me, my DW and DDs appreciate it more and we get to do something away from Disney in the off years to give the kid’s perspective on how lucky we are and that there is a great big non-Disney world out there.

Jeafl said:
Your post made me smile! It is ironic that you envy Americans because I envy the Brits right now. I am in the process of planning a trip to England next summer, and so far the cost is staggering! The airfare alone for four of us is killing me! Want to trade places? :)

I guess I forget how lucky I am living so near to Europe. :) I guess I'm just used to it, but America just sounds..... Like there is so much to do there! Flights are pricey to the UK... :( ... but I suppose it would be worth it! There's nothing like England in America ;) You should visit Europe too- no expensive flights, just the EuroTunnel :)

epcot.girl said:
It is getting ridiculous. We're from the UK too but there's just the two of us. It's going to be a couple of years before we can even think of going back. I don't mind waiting because the Fantasyland expansion will be finished and maybe they'll have done some other stuff, but I dread to think how much prices will have risen between now and then.

I know right?! I don't know how much longer Disney can go on raising it's prices- especially since paychecks are not getting higher accordingly! Disney will put off potential first time visitors with their high rates and fees.
I hope you do get to go soon. I don't know where you usually stay, but we got 35% off Saratoga Springs resort and free dining which is actually quite affordable. I'm assuming you can go during term time which is even better! We have had to resort to taking time out of school to afford it... But it is worth it!

You could always try the other Disney parks. Paris, Toyko, Hong Kong... Really, true Disney fans are missing out if they never see Tokyo Disneyland. It's what a Disney park should be. I'm actually a little nervous that Disney World will look shabby now...

That said, we travel a lot and only do a Disney park every few years. The world is a huge and wonderful place, full of amazing things to do no matter what your interest is. :thumbsup2

You could always try the other Disney parks. Paris, Toyko, Hong Kong... Really, true Disney fans are missing out if they never see Tokyo Disneyland. It's what a Disney park should be. I'm actually a little nervous that Disney World will look shabby now...

That said, we travel a lot and only do a Disney park every few years. The world is a huge and wonderful place, full of amazing things to do no matter what your interest is. :thumbsup2

This has been on my list. :thumbsup2

How do you Keep the Magic Alive when you don't go to the parks yearly?
I think I lost the magic because I feel WDW is a 2nd home to me. Nothing feels like a vacation any more. :( I think it lost that "spark"

if you do go yearly, how do you keep from going bored with the same rides year after year? or practically the same pictures year after year?

For me nothing seems "new' any more. Not even things I have not done before. I just don't know.

You give it rest..and don't go for a while. Then when you do vacation there, you see what's new, and the things you most enjoyed before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter