• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How does non-DCL cruise insurance work?

MSPeeler

DISnerd
As the title says, How does non-DCL cruise insurance work?

Can anyone suggest companies that have used and been happy with in the past that have been reasonably priced?

I'm specifically curious that if we need to cancel under our 90 day penalty, and do not have cruise insurance through DCL, we lose our money with them, how are we compensated by the outside company?

I know there are many different occurrences, scenarios and situations for cancellations or delays, but just a general non-medical, "We need to cancel and need a refund" type thing.

I'm still prepping for this discussion with my FIL tomorrow.... I'm not ready, LOL I feel like I'm going to court!

As the title says, How does non-DCL cruise insurance work?

Can anyone suggest companies that have used and been happy with in the past that have been reasonably priced?

I'm specifically curious that if we need to cancel under our 90 day penalty, and do not have cruise insurance through DCL, we lose our money with them, how are we compensated by the outside company?

I know there are many different occurrences, scenarios and situations for cancellations or delays, but just a general "We need to cancel and need a "refund" type thing".

I'm still prepping for this discussion with my FIL tomorrow.... I'm not ready, LOL I feel like I'm going to court!
I always use one of the various travel insurance comparison sites. Insure my trip and Squaremouth, mostly, but there are others.

You just put in the parameters of what you want covered, and it will show you many different policies from many different companies.

Typically, I pull out the 20 lowest cost ones and compare them side by side. As I go down the coverages, if one of the plans just isn't as good as the others I delete it. When I get down to about 3 plans, I study them more closely to see if they cover what want, and how much.

We typically are looking for the best coverage related to medical/evacuation costs.

If you get it narrowed down, and you still can't figure out what will work for you, then there's always an 800 number to talk to an actual person to can answer questions.

I always use one of the various travel insurance comparison sites. Insure my trip and Squaremouth, mostly, but there are others.

You just put in the parameters of what you want covered, and it will show you many different policies from many different companies.

Typically, I pull out the 20 lowest cost ones and compare them side by side. As I go down the coverages, if one of the plans just isn't as good as the others I delete it. When I get down to about 3 plans, I study them more closely to see if they cover what want, and how much.

We typically are looking for the best coverage related to medical/evacuation costs.

If you get it narrowed down, and you still can't figure out what will work for you, then there's always an 800 number to talk to an actual person to can answer questions.

Perfect. I will look into those comparison sites and give it a try! Thanks a bunch.

I always use Travel Guard, but again, its for medical evacuation insurance more than "cancel anytime" coverage. They do offer it as an add-on, but I think they only give you 50% back, not a full refund.

I know there are many different occurrences, scenarios and situations for cancellations or delays, but just a general non-medical, "We need to cancel and need a refund" type thing.

First, even if you purchase cruise insurance through DCL, you "lose" your deposit (or whatever penalty level at that time) until you submit a claim. And that initial claim goes to the insurance company, not DCL (DCL is only the middleman but not the insurer). If the insurance denies the claim, only then do you deal with DCL and you become eligible for a credit towards a future cruise within a specified time period. Not cash back in-hand, unless the insurance pays on the claim.

But to answer your question about using a third party insurer -- if you cancel the cruise within the penalty period, you will then need to submit a claim to the insurance company. That claim will need to include documentation of loss and possibly documentation of your reason for cancelling. Exactly how much is reimbursed, if any, will depend on what coverage you purchased as well as the reason for cancelling. Unless you have "cancel for any reason" - it may denied as uncovered. Be sure to ask the insurance company upfront about any potential reasons for cancellation so you'll know what is/not covered. Some coverages may not make you "whole" again but could be a percentage (80% reimbursed or something). Again, ask questions.

Enjoy your cruise!

Definitely compare policies. The above-mentioned sites have many different options and prices can vary significantly.

If you are USAA eligible, they have the best rates I've seen,mincluding a "cancel for any reason" option.

Also, cancellation options and pre-existing conditions waivers are often valuable only during the 15 - 30 days following the down payment, so if you seek that even prepared to purchase spoons after booking.

Dirk

I don't know if other policies will do this, but the insurer USAA uses will pay the hospital upfront I'd admission is required. That's a huge help since foreign hospitals often require a deposit and insurance companies,generally only reimburse for covered care.

That's definitely something to look for when comparing policies.

Dirk

I was looking at "Travel Safe", has anyone used them?
If you don't have any pre-existing conditions I would wait until a few days before the PIF date to buy insurance. Insurance is non-refundable. The deposit is refundable. You're are not really insuring anything. I don't see the point in buying it early if you're all healthy. Kids are free to insure on insure dot com. I don't know how old your inlaws are, but they can get their own insurance based on their needs.

If you don't have any pre-existing conditions I would wait until a few days before the PIF date to buy insurance. Insurance is non-refundable. The deposit is refundable. You're are not really insuring anything. I don't see the point in buying it early if you're all healthy. Kids are free to insure on insure dot com. I don't know how old your inlaws are, but they can get their own insurance based on their needs.
If you do have a pre existing, when is best to buy? SO Has cancer, and want coverage, if god forbid, he suddenly be hospitalized or something right before our trip.

They will be 72 and 66.
Trip Protection states:
Cancel for Any Reason
75% of non-refundable trip cost [Requires purchase within 21 days of Initial Trip Payment and **certain conditions to be met]

**CANCEL FOR ANY REASON BENEFIT

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this Policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid, forfeited, nonrefundable Payments or Deposits You paid for Your Trip, provided:

a) Your payment for this Policy and enrollment form are received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment or Deposit for Your Trip is received; and

b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip; and

c) You cancel Your Trip two (2) days or more before Your Scheduled Departure Date.

So for that, I wouldn't be able to wait till right before we sail... I'm not very good at reading "fine print", never have been able to understand things clearly.

We always get USAA as well. Highly suggest if you are eligible.

My FIL fought in Vietnam... I don't know what rank he was, if he retired, was discharged or any details. He doesn't like to talk about his military time at all. It's a mystery.
I am curious to know if he would qualify through them.

My husband and I wouldn't.

My FIL fought in Vietnam... I don't know what rank he was, if he retired, was discharged or any details. He doesn't like to talk about his military time at all. It's a mystery.
I am curious to know if he would qualify through them.

My husband and I wouldn't.
To your previous post
Yes you would need to purchase right away for that kind of coverage.Basic coverage trip cancelation and medical you don't. I can usually insure my family of four for around 80.00 dollars.
I don't know about military. My dad was a marine in Korea and Vietnam. He did did not like to talk about it. I think the stuff he saw was so awful he just wanted to forget.

My basic advice:

- It's preferable to get Primary medical insurance as opposed to secondary. Primary means that it pays any covered claim immediately. Secondary means that you have to submit the claim to your primary (i.e. work) insurance, even if you're sure your primary insurance won't cover it. The secondary travel insurance covers only things that your primary insurance doesn't. This slows down getting paid for claims.

- A big thing that could cause you a big unexpected expense on a cruise is medical evacuation, so make sure your insurance has a decent amount for this ($50K or so if you're near civilization, $100K or more for exotic vacations far from the developed world). This is a fairly rare event, but it does happen more often on cruises, because if you have a life-threatening condition while at sea, they will stabilize you and call for helicopter evacuation, which can run to thousands or tens of thousands of dollars. So it's not likely to happen, but if it does it could seriously crimp your financial situation, which is exactly what you get insurance for.

- If you don't have any serious pre-existing conditions, don't buy insurance until you actually have some non-refundable costs you could lose. Keep in mind that even though your airline tickets might be called "non refundable" the airline might actually allow refunds with a cancellation fee (in which case your insurance only covers the cancellation fee) or it allows you to move the ticket to a new date with a fee (in which case your insurance only covers the fee, maybe, if you have appropriate coverage).

- If you do have a serious pre-existing condition that could flare up and cause you to miss the trip, definitely buy insurance within the first 14 days after making the deposit on a specific cruise. Making the deposit on a placeholder shouldn't count; it's when you transfer the placeholder to an actual cruise that starts the countdown.

- Do your comparison almost entirely based on medical, medical evacuation, and cancellation coverage. Largely ignore small coverages like lost baggage, small coverages for delays, etc. If you have to replace some clothes, it's not going to break you.

- Consider all the things that could cause you to miss the vacation, for example:
- Relative dies
- Relative gets sick
- Friend dies/gets sick
- Work needs you badly, refuses to give you time off
- You get transferred to a new location
- You get laid off work
- You get sick or injured
- Child/spouse/traveling companion gets sick
- Weather cancels important travel leg (i.e. plane flight to the cruise) and you can't find alternatives
- Mechanical problems cancels important travel leg and you can't find alternatives
- Airline goes bankrupt, can't find alternative flight

Amazingly enough, a fair number of the above are NOT covered by some policies. Many of them cover most of them, but not all. You may be covered if you, a family member or blood relative gets sick or dies. But what if your best friend dies? Most insurance doesn't consider a death a covered reason for cancellation if it's not a member of your family or a few other covered categories, like "business partner" or "traveling companion". Keep in mind that all of the cancellation reasons are highly unlikely to happen at random, but if you already know you have a sick friend who could get worse, or your work has messed with people's vacation schedule in the past, you definitely want to look at the policy language and make sure that specific reason is covered.

To your previous post
Yes you would need to purchase right away for that kind of coverage.Basic coverage trip cancelation and medical you don't. I can usually insure my family of four for around 80.00 dollars.
I don't know about military. My dad was a marine in Korea and Vietnam. He did did not like to talk about it. I think the stuff he saw was so awful he just wanted to forget.

My quotes for 7 people are no less than $589.... ?! I must be doing something wrong.

Any honorably discharged veteran is eligible to open an account with USAA. We opened a checking account by transferring $100. This made us eligible for trip insurance.

My DH and I are seniors. DH has serious heart condition.
I paid $649 for travel insurance using USAA. Best coverage I could afford for 2 people. At least $200 less than other policies.

Yes, this is a big expense for 5 night cruise with travel day before but having good insurance eases my mind. I didn't insure airfare because I don't know exact costs.
Agent assured me that I can raise Base Plan amount at a later date, which will increase my premium.

Insurance needed to be paid in full shortly after cruise deposit.

Base Plan $2,500.00 $369.00
Optional Flight Accident $100,000.00 $8.00
Optional Travel Benefits Upgrade $35.00
Base Plan $2,500.00 $194.00
Optional Flight Accident $100,000.00 $8.00
Optional Travel Benefits Upgrade $35.00

Trip Cancellation Up to 100% Trip Cost*
Cancel For Any Reason** Up to 75% of Trip Cost*
Trip Interruption Up to 150% Trip Cost*
Interruption For Any Reason Up to 75% Trip Cost*
Travel Delay (6 hours) $1,000 ($200/day)
Reimbursement of Miles or Reward Points $250
Change Fee $250
Missed Connection (3 hours) $500
Itinerary Change $500
Accident & Sickness Medical Expense $150,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation $1,000,000
Baggage & Personal Effects $1,000***
Baggage Delay (12 hours) $300
Accidental Death and Dismemberment- 24 Hour $10,000
Optional AD&D (Air Flight Only) Up to the Limit Purchased
Optional Travel Benefits-Travel Delay $1,000 (For a total of $2,000)
Optional Travel Benefits-Missed Connection $500 (For a total of $1,000)
Optional Travel Benefits-Baggage/Personal Effects $1,000 (For a total of $2,000)
Optional Travel Benefits-Baggage Delay $300 (For a total of $600)
Rental Car Damage $50,000

If you do have a pre existing, when is best to buy? SO Has cancer, and want coverage, if god forbid, he suddenly be hospitalized or something right before our trip.
For pre-existing coverage, you need to purchase your travel insurance between 12-21 days after your initial payment, which would be the deposit, placeholder included. There are a few companies who don't consider a placeholder a deposit, but most do. The time frame depends on the company and policy. Generally speaking, it's 14 days but some companies require you to buy it within 12 days, some within 21 days. What you're looking for is the pre-existing condition waiver, meaning they can't look back in your medical history to look for a reason to decline you coverage. After that time frame, you can still get pre-existing condition coverage, it'll just cost you more. A lot more.

My quotes for 7 people are no less than $589.... ?! I must be doing something wrong.
You are looking at cancel-for-any-reason coverage, which I believe the poster who pays $80 does not get. Plus it sounds like you are covering 4 adults, 2 who likely fall into higher premium brackets; that poster may coverage 2 relatively young adults and 2 kids. And it also depends what you include as travel expenses -- airfare, pre- or post-cruise hotels, etc.

The policy you are considering requires that you purchase within 21 days. It will also only pay out 75% for last minute cancellation, and you are correct that it does not appear to cover if you cancel the day before. I really suggest you consider what might be possible reasons to cancel - do you expect problems with work, or do you think FIL might change his mind that close, or are there medical concerns? I'd suggest your in laws get a separate plan and pay for it themselves, especially if your own household fully expects to travel regardless.

Enjoy your cruise!

One addendum: for older travelers, buying Disney's insurance can be the best overall deal, because Disney charges the same amount for all ages, while third-party insurance gets more expensive as you get older. The exact age that break even happens varies depending on exactly what you're comparing, but certainly for someone 60 or over, it's well worth comparing the Disney plan.

If you're insuring a multi-generational party, it might make sense to get Disney's insurance for the grandparents and third party for younger folks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter