How does this double dip work?

DisneYE

DIS Veteran
We haven't been on a double dip cruise, but we have our first one coming up on the Dream, from USFLL

This double dip is: cc-sea day-cc-USFLL
Meaning, the ship doesn't go to another port and then comes back after

How does it work?
Does the ship goes in circles close to the island, or it anchors/hovers in the open ocean?

Also, in this situation, why doesn't it stay docked in cc?
I get the food and other logistics on the island is a pain but why not tell cruisers lunch is offered only on the ship like any regular day, and all aboard is at 5.00, like at a POC.
I also get that there might be another ship docking at cc the next day, so that might be the real reason.
But if there is no other ship docking at cc the next day, why not stay docked for the night instead of going out to sea and sail in circles?
That'd be so cool - I'm sure most ppl would be thrilled to sleep on the island and spend 2 straight days there.
I'd rather 'sleep on' the island instead of the open seas in this situation - it'd be cool to experience at least once.

Just curious.

The ship will go out and make circles as the captain wants good weather and calm seas for the sea day.

The are a variety of things that may lead to the situation on your cruise.

1. There is another ship scheduled on the day when you are at sea. (If 4 ships are sailing Bahamian itineraries, this is very likely)
2. The ship needs to be moving for all of its systems, especially water processing, to function properly.
3. The government of the Bahamas may charge extra fees for overnight docking.
4. If there is an emergency, they do not want to be casting off after dark.
5. The on-island crew has work to do that cannot happen when guests are there.
6. There are reports that the island is very buggy at night and would be uncomfortable for guests

The ship will go out and make circles as the captain wants good weather and calm seas for the sea day.

The are a variety of things that may lead to the situation on your cruise.

1. There is another ship scheduled on the day when you are at sea. (If 4 ships are sailing Bahamian itineraries, this is very likely)
2. The ship needs to be moving for all of its systems, especially water processing, to function properly.
3. The government of the Bahamas may charge extra fees for overnight docking.
4. If there is an emergency, they do not want to be casting off after dark.
5. The on-island crew has work to do that cannot happen when guests are there.
6. There are reports that the island is very buggy at night and would be uncomfortable for guests
Thank you! all points that make sense.

Also, the shops can't be open when the ship is in port (I'm pretty sure that still applies to CC). I'm sure that's not the primary reason, but in the itinerary you mentioned, if they stayed at CC really the only time guests would be able to shop would be the first night heading to CC (after getting into international waters) and then again the night after leaving CC.

I would guess it's probably because another ship is in CC the day you're at sea. But hey, if that's true then maybe you'll get a horn battle while that ship is leaving CC!

Also, the shops can't be open when the ship is in port (I'm pretty sure that still applies to CC). I'm sure that's not the primary reason, but in the itinerary you mentioned, if they stayed at CC really the only time guests would be able to shop would be the first night heading to CC (after getting into international waters) and then again the night after leaving CC.

I would guess it's probably because another ship is in CC the day you're at sea. But hey, if that's true then maybe you'll get a horn battle while that ship is leaving CC!
That's a good one too I hadn't thought about.
Plus spa services, drinks at the various bars, BBB, etc... DCL wants ppl to spend as much $ as possible and when the ship is docked at CC or at a POC there's less traffic on the ship and hence less $ spent

We sailed on 2 of the dream cruises right when sailing restarted in 2021. We only went to castaway - we went 4 times in 8 days. The dream was the only ship sailing and we still left castaway at night. You could see the ship’s path on the bridge report for the cruise. Small circles in the ocean right by castaway.

We sailed on 2 of the dream cruises right when sailing restarted in 2021. We only went to castaway - we went 4 times in 8 days. The dream was the only ship sailing and we still left castaway at night. You could see the ship’s path on the bridge report for the cruise. Small circles in the ocean right by castaway.
We did a BTB that included a DD, so we visited 3 times in a week, but 4 would be even better!

I'm making a guess that your double-dip sailing might be the one on March 17, which has the sea day on Wednesday March 20. The Wish is scheduled for Castaway Cay on that day. (It's typically there on Sundays and Wednesdays.)

Back when Disney first started sailing I heard they stayed at Castaway overnight and the weather conditions changed and the ship was unable to leave the next day.

We were there overnight once. There were choppy waters expected the next day, so the Captain pushed the ship to get us there from Nassau and we docked overnight.
That's so interesting to read, it's a fairly legitimate reason to dock overnight at cc.
I Wonder if this has happened more times throughout the years.

That's so interesting to read, it's a fairly legitimate reason to dock overnight at cc.
I Wonder if this has happened more times throughout the years.
there was one time where a ship got stuck at Castawy Cay in a storm and they couldn't leaver the dock until the next day

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter