How DVC Made Timeshares even worse

This is not completely wrong. There are a lot of possible vacations one can take. Many of them are much less expensive. Most of them are more relaxing. All of them can serve as the setting in which great memories are made. This isn't always a popular opinion on DIS, where the prevailing sentiment is often Only Disney, All The Time.

In particular, I love me a good amusement park, and I've had plenty of fun at some Six Flags parks. My favorite is probably Fiesta Texas. It's built into an old rock quarry, has a good lineup of attractions with some lightly themed areas, and makes spectacular use of the rock wall in several different coasters.

That doesn't mean DVC is a bad idea. But, as a former Hyatt salesman put it: "It's a TOY. You are buying a TOY. Treat it like a TOY." If that's the toy you want, and you can afford it, why not?
Your highlighted statement is one that yes, I have seen floating around on here and other social media sites and it's not one that I agree with. I go to other parks and enjoy them.

However I don't think that Six Flags is a replacement for Disney or a Disney vacation. My nearest Six Flags is probably the worst theme park I've ever been to. I just thought it was funny that the guy states that instead of "losing money on your investment by buying DVC" (a statement mentioned multiple times throughout the video), you should go to Six Flags instead. He does also mention Universal, Knotts and European parks like Efteling and Europa Park.

It doesn't help that the second half of this podcast is just the duo talking about how complicated, stressful and annoying a Disney World vacation is right now and some of the information that they discuss is either a half truth or inaccurate.

So am I opening this video for the 3 seconds it takes to downvote it and then leave? Or should I not even waste my time?

So after the comments here and on youtube, I HAD to go take a listen for myself. It's astounding the amount of incorrect information in this video... I have seen some good video posts form various people that include the pro's and con's of DVC. Some of them are quiet honest. Most of them will tell you it's not for everyone; it may be for you or it may not be and how to decide. They are usually accurate in their facts.

These guys are just SO WRONG. It's boggling.

Yea, the podcast was terrible... finished listening earlier today.

The second half of the podcast kinds of shifts into a general axe to grind with Disney. The host even kind of confesses that he could devote hours to lambasting Disney. Meanwhile, the only DVC owner he spoke to really had few complaints, other than the fact Disney is kind of expensive.

It is not a great podcast, and incredibly misleading. For us, DVC made complete sense, the way we use it it is incredibly valuable. It was an amusing way to start the day I suppose, but very sad that this guy has such an axe to grind.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just secretly sad that he doesn't have a DVC membership.

Only had time for the first 15 minutes. Will listen to the rest later.
With the exception of the “giving away” statement, so far everything sounded spot on.
That said, most of the first 15 min was about timeshares in general.

Six Flags New England, which is near me, is know as a day care center for teenagers with bad behavior. So we aren't big fans of it.

We do like some of the smaller theme parks in New England and usually do a whole day at one or two of them in the Summer.

It is the false logic of the anti-timeshare people:

All timeshares are bad.
DVC is a timeshare.
DVC is bad.

It does not work that way for me. I own other timeshares as well and while they do not retain value like DVC does, I do make use of them.

It's amusing because it's two people who do not like Disney talking about why DVC is bad. The lady admits she doesn't like Disney and her only experience with them is because she has a child who wants to watch Disney+.

Even more amusing is he states "I tried to reach out to all these influencers (DVC owners on youtube) and none of them wanted to talk negative about DVC". His conclusion? DVC sucks and influencers can't be trusted. He doesn't even CONCIDER that maybe they just like DVC. Nope - obviously the only conclusion is that all influencers are liars.

You realize that he's compensated based upon the number of views of his video, and the referral algorithm rewards engagement such as likes, dislikes, and comments? The more outrageous the title and content of the video, the more people will engage, which drives more people to it, and drives higher compensation.

I scanned the comments - apparently the podcasters said that DVC owners can’t get rid of their contracts and are giving them away for free when they can’t use their points. So - I’m not wasting time or brain space on this podcast. That’s patently false.
I was going to have to sell my 3 year old contract OKW - 520 points @ $109 for a massive loss (after paying it down for 3 years). Sure, I can rent my points and did yesterday, but the price has dropped unless you have Beach Club at 11 months out.
I still have all 1600 of my points but I am looking at making changes if the market ever comes back. I know the economy isn't helping by I suspect the ongoing political climate in FLA isn't helping things as the fear of increased taxes which impact dues is a very real fear. I already pay ~1K/mos in dues.

We live less than 5 miles from Great Adventure and I have not been there in over 25 years.
I was going to have to sell my 3 year old contract OKW - 520 points @ $109 for a massive loss (after paying it down for 3 years). Sure, I can rent my points and did yesterday, but the price has dropped unless you have Beach Club at 11 months out.
I still have all 1600 of my points but I am looking at making changes if the market ever comes back. I know the economy isn't helping by I suspect the ongoing political climate in FLA isn't helping things as the fear of increased taxes which impact dues is a very real fear. I already pay ~1K/mos in dues.
I do not have near as many points/contracts but in retrospect do you think it would have been better to buy more contracts with smaller number of points each to get to the same total number of points?

A 520-point contract is probably going to have a limited market in comparison to a 170-point contract.

We live less than 5 miles from Great Adventure and I have not been there in over 25 years.

I do not have near as many points/contracts but in retrospect do you think it would have been better to buy more contracts with smaller number of points each to get to the same total number of points?

A 520-point contract is probably going to have a limited market in comparison to a 170-point contract.
Oh, absolutely! In retrospect, I would have realized that life can change in a moment. I never thought I'd have to consider selling. It's also the cheapest contract per point other than my original $56/pt. I would be attempting to sell off some of my smaller ones but that one happens to be the one with my now ex-husband's name on it.

It is the false logic of the anti-timeshare people:

All timeshares are bad.
DVC is a timeshare.
DVC is bad.

It does not work that way for me. I own other timeshares as well and while they do not retain value like DVC does, I do make use of them.
Having debated and taken logic in high school many, many, many years ago it roared back at me. If the first two statements are in fact true then logically the third statement would be true. The issue is thta the first statement is not true. I think it should be more like this:

Timeshare XYZ is bad.
DVC is a timeshare.
Therefore, DVC is bad.

That logically is incorrect. 😊

Yea, the podcast was terrible... finished listening earlier today.

The second half of the podcast kinds of shifts into a general axe to grind with Disney. The host even kind of confesses that he could devote hours to lambasting Disney. Meanwhile, the only DVC owner he spoke to really had few complaints, other than the fact Disney is kind of expensive.

It is not a great podcast, and incredibly misleading. For us, DVC made complete sense, the way we use it it is incredibly valuable. It was an amusing way to start the day I suppose, but very sad that this guy has such an axe to grind.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's just secretly sad that he doesn't have a DVC membership.
There’s a whole cottage industry of anti-Disney content on YouTube. Even a lot of channels that are enthusiasts and go to WDW almost every day will focus almost completely on the negatives and complaining. That’s what gets the clicks I guess And right now it’s fashionable in some circles to hate anything Disney related, so it’s probably worse than normal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter