How early do we need to be at MK for rope drop?

We get into the PARKING LOT at 1.5 hours before the park opens, this allows time for the ferry over (monorail was not working that early the entire time we were there). The idea is for us to be at the turnstiles 1 hour before they open and then make it through those ASAP and NOT watch the 'show' at the train station and stay to the RIGHT entrance (if going to 7DMT). We were FIRST at the rope each time we attempted it with this plan but the key is to MOVE FAST and stay with the rope when it begins to move and they walk you to the castle. People will push and shove and strollers will run you over, DO NOT LET YOUR FAMILY GO or you WILL lose them! My husband had 2 kids and I had 1 kid and we moved like a pack always behind the castmember, NOT THE ROPE or you lose time and space when you get to the castle. Each time we did it, we were first people and first car at 7DMT and it was awesome! After that, we made it through ALL the big rides that we wanted to do and some small rides and were out of the park in less than 2 hours and off to the park where our fastpasses were at!

-------------------
(I didn't realize I had hit enter!)
ETA:

As we were leaving the lines were already getting super long and the crowds on main street were thick. I would say you could show up at opening and not any earlier if you want to do the smaller rides and don't care about the mountains or 7DMT and that sort of thing or you could probably catch one just under an hour wait? Coming off the first car of 7DMT and the line was already reading 45 minutes behind us and it couldn't have been longer than 5 minutes after park opening.

The short lines are appealing with this strategy, but everything else is not! Sounds cut throat!

Hey! I just had to post an update to you all. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice!!! Things could not have gone better. Yesterday was our first day here and we didn't make it to the bus stop until 7:20 - I thought we had blown it, but there was a bus waiting and we got to the park just in time to see he morning show! Security line was only 2 deep and we were in the park before most rides were even operating!

When we saw a 10 minute wait posted for space mtn, kids insisted we ride it and we pretty much walked on. So that was our first Disney experience! There were hardly ANY waits the WHOLE morning; it was like a dream! We got SO MUCH done I couldn't believe it...left around 4 when it got crowded and went to Disney springs. Slept in and have MNSSHP tonight. NOTHING like I was expecting as far as crowds and wait times...truly amazing day! I know the party tonight will prob feel more crazy...

Hey! I just had to post an update to you all. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the advice!!! Things could not have gone better. Yesterday was our first day here and we didn't make it to the bus stop until 7:20 - I thought we had blown it, but there was a bus waiting and we got to the park just in time to see he morning show! Security line was only 2 deep and we were in the park before most rides were even operating!

When we saw a 10 minute wait posted for space mtn, kids insisted we ride it and we pretty much walked on. So that was our first Disney experience! There were hardly ANY waits the WHOLE morning; it was like a dream! We got SO MUCH done I couldn't believe it...left around 4 when it got crowded and went to Disney springs. Slept in and have MNSSHP tonight. NOTHING like I was expecting as far as crowds and wait times...truly amazing day! I know the party tonight will prob feel more crazy...

Glad you had an awesome time! Those early mornings are the best. My kids love to sleep but they will get up early at Disney because they know how much can get accomplished!

We get into the PARKING LOT at 1.5 hours before the park opens, this allows time for the ferry over (monorail was not working that early the entire time we were there). The idea is for us to be at the turnstiles 1 hour before they open and then make it through those ASAP and NOT watch the 'show' at the train station and stay to the RIGHT entrance (if going to 7DMT). We were FIRST at the rope each time we attempted it with this plan but the key is to MOVE FAST and stay with the rope when it begins to move and they walk you to the castle. People will push and shove and strollers will run you over, DO NOT LET YOUR FAMILY GO or you WILL lose them! My husband had 2 kids and I had 1 kid and we moved like a pack always behind the castmember, NOT THE ROPE or you lose time and space when you get to the castle. Each time we did it, we were first people and first car at 7DMT and it was awesome! After that, we made it through ALL the big rides that we wanted to do and some small rides and were out of the park in less than 2 hours and off to the park where our fastpasses were at!

-------------------
(I didn't realize I had hit enter!)
ETA:

As we were leaving the lines were already getting super long and the crowds on main street were thick. I would say you could show up at opening and not any earlier if you want to do the smaller rides and don't care about the mountains or 7DMT and that sort of thing or you could probably catch one just under an hour wait? Coming off the first car of 7DMT and the line was already reading 45 minutes behind us and it couldn't have been longer than 5 minutes after park opening.

Oh my!! I am a long time WDW visitor and I want to make a full disclosure. I have never done rope drop but I keep reading about it and I must admit that I have thought about trying it at least once. But when I read an experience like yours you convince me that its not worth it. The way you describe it the process sounds horrible, stressful, and not fun, just to get on a couple of rides early and not have to wait!!. Thanks for bringing me back to reality and what a vacation is all about. So all you rope drop people will have two less people to fight with to get to your rides first!!

Glad you had an awesome time! Those early mornings are the best. My kids love to sleep but they will get up early at Disney because they know how much can get accomplished!

We really had zero waiting in lines/crowds our first day, with our FP scheduled for later in the day...every wait was shorter than the posted wait times too. When we were able to ride space first thing, I changed our FP for it later to Buzz, which was perfect cuz when we hit it on our way out the standby line was 45 minutes! Our splash FP was awesome too; kids weee amazed at how we walked right past tons and tons of people in line. Really a perfect day, thanks to the dis! :yay:

Oh my!! I am a long time WDW visitor and I want to make a full disclosure. I have never done rope drop but I keep reading about it and I must admit that I have thought about trying it at least once. But when I read an experience like yours you convince me that its not worth it. The way you describe it the process sounds horrible, stressful, and not fun, just to get on a couple of rides early and not have to wait!!. Thanks for bringing me back to reality and what a vacation is all about. So all you rope drop people will have two less people to fight with to get to your rides first!!

I think that posters plan is extreme. I would never do that and have never done that and still have really low waits. I basically do like the OP did. For 9 am RD we leave our room at 8 am to get to the bus or monorail. 8 am RD we leave our room at 7 am.

Last edited:

I too think that was a bit extreme. We did RD on 4th of July last year and were fully prepared for the rush but were thrilled to experience a much more leisurely atmosphere. We even stopped and took some photos in front of the castle with the family we were traveling with and still made it to our first ride with no wait what so ever. The crowd can look a little overwhelming waiting outside but it quickly disperses into the vastness of MK. The way the day began really set the stage for our trip, which was wonderful. Like already mentioned, each night for the rest of our trip I would ask my children if they wanted to make RD for wherever we were going and the answer was always yes because of how much we could yet done with little waiting (someone at school had told my son that all you do at DW is wait in line so we took great joy in proving that theory wrong).

We also really enjoyed walking past all of the people in the Splash Mountain line when we had a FP. It made me a little sad though when I heard a boy ask an adult with him why they couldn't pay for that too??

Have fun at the party tonight COscrapper and enjoy the rest of your trip!!

We were there twice between Oct 12 - Oct 19, both times we rolled off the bus shortly after 8:30, caught the show and rode the trolley up Main St both times.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter