How early should we get to MCO on a Sunday night?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are setting up transportation pick up from WDW to go back to MCO. I know magic express is 3 hours ahead which we find is too much time but I’m guessing they need to work in extra time for other resort pick ups.
Our flight is at 5:50pm. I put in for a 3:50 pick up but now I’m wondering if I should make it a little earlier so that we actually arrive at MCO for 3:50 (2 solid hours before our flight)

how long of a drive is it from WDW to MCO on a Sunday afternoon?

We are setting up transportation pick up from WDW to go back to MCO. I know magic express is 3 hours ahead which we find is too much time but I’m guessing they need to work in extra time for other resort pick ups.
Our flight is at 5:50pm. I put in for a 3:50 pick up but now I’m wondering if I should make it a little earlier so that we actually arrive at MCO for 3:50 (2 solid hours before our flight)

how long of a drive is it from WDW to MCO on a Sunday afternoon?
Before Covid, I would plan on arriving two hours before flight. That includes needing to check luggage. If I didn't have to check luggage, return rental car, I'd probably cut that down to 1:45. It should take just over 30 minutes. Personally, I would budget 45.

Of course, I'm the type that would rather be waiting at the gate for 45 minutes than be sprinting after security in order to make the flight. YMMV

When is your trip?

Right now, you don't have to worry about it. But when the cruise ships start sailing (hoping by mid-June since I have a cruise planned then), there will be those disembarking from Port Canaveral and boarding flights home from MCO. Fortunately, the bulk of them have already gone though security well before noon. But you'll have several hundred taking post-cruise tours to the Kennedy Space Center and other local attractions. They'll arrive at the airport late afternoon for their early evening flights home.

I'd easily allow the full two hours.

IIRC, it's about a half hour from the welcome sign to the airport. That's in good traffic. Which I think it will be on a Sunday.

I flew back on JetBlue on a Sunday two years back. There was an hour and a half line just for food at the terminal (past security). Kind of why I don’t fly JetBlue out of MCO anymore.

If you don't have TSA pre-check, arriving 2 hrs before any domestic flight at most airports is always a good plan. You never know how long of lines there will be at security and if you are late, your plane will depart without you.

Any thoughts as to how early to arrive for 9:00 Sunday am flight if you have precheck ?

What about a 6:15pm flight on a Thursday?
3:30pm pickup from WDW resort?
I want to maximize last day, but also don’t want to stress.

What about a 6:15pm flight on a Thursday?
3:30pm pickup from WDW resort?
I want to maximize last day, but also don’t want to stress.
If you have Pre, that is absolutely fine, and you could push to 3:45 or 4. If you don’t have Pre, I would make it 3:15. There have been some absolutely horrendous regular (non-Pre) security lines recently.

If you have Pre, that is absolutely fine, and you could push to 3:45 or 4. If you don’t have Pre, I would make it 3:15. There have been some absolutely horrendous regular (non-Pre) security lines recently.

Thank you! Most of our party have Pre, but unfortunately 3 people don’t.

When I flew without having TSA pre-check you always saw people in the regular security lines who acted like it was their first time on an airplane and had no idea what to do or somehow thought the security rules didn't apply to them. Also a lot of clueless people not paying attention to what is being said by the TSA people. Especially at the Orlando airport where there are always families and small children, things tend to take longer. Pre-check is certainly a time saver, but still wise to leave extra time and then you can shop or eat if you have extra time.

No one on here can tell you exactly how long it will take on a certain day or time. Sometimes they have more security lines open and things tend to move more quickly.

MCO suggests arriving at the airport 2 hours before your flight. Once it took me almost 30 minutes to get through Pre.

Passengers without checked luggage and with Pre can cut that to 90 minutes.

Passengers who have a high tolerance for risk can get to the airport 45 to 60 minutes before their flight.

A poster on a different board said a passenger who never missed a flight is a person who wasted hours in airports through the years

I flew out this past Sunday mid-afternoon, pre-check was a breeze. The regular security lines were a zoo, but were advertising 15 minute waits (did not seem possible). The main issue was checking luggage. The lines were packed. The Delta line snaked into the lobby area. I heard several passengers commenting on 45 minutes to an hour wait.

You honestly can’t base your decision on other people’s experience. The ride to MCO- one accident could cause a backup and make you late. Your airline checkin could have a huge line- same as TSA. There are so many factors. Is 30 minutes in the park worth the $$$ it would cost if you missed flight?

Plan to arrive 2 hours before flight, Yah you can do less if you have PRE-CHECK and/or Clear but MCO is a unpredictable airport and one I always tend to get to early. Biggest problem is lots of inexperienced flyers so even the PRE lanes can get jammed up quickly

I flew out this past Sunday mid-afternoon, pre-check was a breeze. The regular security lines were a zoo, but were advertising 15 minute waits (did not seem possible). The main issue was checking luggage. The lines were packed. The Delta line snaked into the lobby area. I heard several passengers commenting on 45 minutes to an hour wait.
Some airlines have a computer enforced deadline for checking luggage. 45 minutes or an hour before flight time is typical. You don't have to just worry about making your flight. You need to allow more then enough time to check your luggage

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter