• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How early to be at Airport?

Adora

DIS Veteran
So curious, how long before do I need to leave the Disney resort to get to the airport (MCO). I notice Mears pickup is minimum 4 hours before, do I need that long? I'm considering my transportation options and just wondering. (We are traveling with Westjet) Thanks

We got to the airport about 3 hours before our flight (on westjet). I was glad we did. We had long lines to check in with westjet (lots of people who didn’t have ArriveCAN app etc etc). We then had a long line at security. We got through security about 1 hour before our flight so we had just enough time to grab dinner and use the bathroom before boarding.

I would recommend sticking with the 4 hours timeline. The Mears bus could be making other stops before leaving the property and then it's a 30 minute drive if there are no delays. You truly want to be at the airport 3 hours prior to the flight. Everyone has to line up to check in at the airport, even if you checked in online or used the airport kiosk. Then the security line is often long. We travelled with Westjet in January and probably stood in line at the check in counter for 20-30 minutes and the line was not even that long. Security was 45 minutes. We got to the gate with what we thought was 20 minutes to spare before boarding was to start.....NOT, the flight was ready to go and the gate agent announced that everyone needed to board immediately and as fast as possible.

So curious, how long before do I need to leave the Disney resort to get to the airport (MCO). I notice Mears pickup is minimum 4 hours before, do I need that long? I'm considering my transportation options and just wondering. (We are traveling with Westjet) Thanks

I give myself as much time as I can at that airport. We were there about 3 hours early last time, and I was nervous we would miss our flight it was taking so long! This was pre-Covid.

I just returned from Disney this past Friday (April 29). Mears picked me up at 10:25 for my 2:30 flight to Toronto. The bus was actually there at 10:20. After loading up we departed AOA at exactly 10:25. We made a 2nd stop at POP that took about 10 minutes. We arrived at MCO at 11:20. Once I had my luggage and headed inside it was about 11:30. I passed the line for WestJet on my way to Air Canada and it was LOOOOONG. Air Canada was much shorter. I was checked in and headed for the shops rather quickly - I have a photo of the Magic of Disney store time stamped at 11:45. I had about an hour to kill before I went through security. I wandered through the stores and went through security at 12:30. It took about 15 minutes. I have another time stamped photo of me on the APM at 12:45. My flight started boarding at 1:40 and took off right at 2:30. The 4 hours seems a bit excessive but I find it nice actually to not have to rush and be stressed and worried about the whole process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter