• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How far in advance do you have to book?

momto4girlz

Earning My Ears
A campsite. I just tried two different weeks in October through the website and nothing is available. I'm not that serious about planning a vacation right now. I was mainly wanting to price different options during fall and value seasons. But when I do get serious... how far in advance do I have to plan?

But when I do get serious... how far in advance do I have to plan?
Depending on what time of year you want to go, as far ahead of time as possible. If wanting to go during Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas time you will want to book at least 499 days out. Those times of year, and a few more, cant remember the others book fast. There is still a chance to get reservations as it nears those dates as people are finding out they may not be able to make and have to cancel.

Not sure what part of October you are considering, but the weeks closest to Halloween will book up a year in advance.

There have been some that are able to piece together a reservation by trying different dates and getting sites almost a day at a time. All the reservations can be joined and if they are all the same site type, you won't have to move, but this method takes a lot of perseverance and very frequent calling and hitting the web site multiple times a day. It generally seems to pay off, as most seem to eventually get what they need, but it is a lot of work and some good luck.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.

j

Weekends in the fall and spring tend to book up well in advance with "locals" who can drive in frequently and spend a weekend at the Fort. So if your desired dates include a Friday or Saturday night, that could be the case. Try just searching for a Sunday-Thursday night and if you can get those but can't when you include Friday or Saturday, that's it.

Although if you're just interested in rates, I put together a spread sheet of rack rates for 2017 when they were announced last summer. Note that these are with tax rounded to the nearest dollar:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...derness-campsite-rates.3526550/#post-56095713

Bama Ed

Anything beyond the "Current Pricing" that is published, however, then you will have to "Call" to reserve. Since the update prices annually, reservations made before the update will be charged (for purposes of the deposit) based on the current rates. When the new rates are published... Price will be updated to reflect the pricing at the time of your actual visit.

when I do get serious... how far in advance do I have to plan?

DS and I have 2 sites booked for July 2018 already. When DW and I stayed at Ft Wilderness in Dec 2014, I booked at 499 days out.

Anything beyond the "Current Pricing" that is published, however, then you will have to "Call" to reserve. Since the update prices annually, reservations made before the update will be charged (for purposes of the deposit) based on the current rates. When the new rates are published... Price will be updated to reflect the pricing at the time of your actual visit.

That's the way I always understood it too, in 2014, they told me subject to change with a price increase, this time, they never told me that and when I talked to the DS about that and reservations, he said they asked him if he wanted to lock these prices in? We shall see....They gave us a total for the trip, etc, so I started to wonder, if I paid the total off before a price increase, would I get charged more or not? Hmmmmmm..:confused3

I will keep it posted, just never had them not tell us that the price could increase..

Well, I just tried to check availability for dates in Feb 2018, and the Disney website won't even let me enter dates beyond Dec. 2017! I don't understand. Do you HAVE to call? Is that the only way? I'm just testing the waters right now. I don't want to deal with a live person. lol

Well, I just tried to check availability for dates in Feb 2018, and the Disney website won't even let me enter dates beyond Dec. 2017! I don't understand. Do you HAVE to call? Is that the only way? I'm just testing the waters right now. I don't want to deal with a live person. lol
Yes, you have to call beyond the year. The new prices will be out this summer and 2018 will open up.

Yes the online reservation system cannot book next year until the next year rates are formally announced some time this summer. This is the same for Disney's resort hotels as well. That's why if you want to book next year within the 499 night window before the new rates are announced, you have to call.

Bama Ed

Yes you have to call. Don't worry about talking to a "real" person, you can really have a good time with them. When I called for July 2018, I told the phone operator, "You are going to guarantee me a cold front going through at that time, right?" He laughed and said, "You're funny" Well it was worth a try. LOL

DS and I have 2 sites booked for July 2018 already. When DW and I stayed at Ft Wilderness in Dec 2014, I booked at 499 days out.

That's the way I always understood it too, in 2014, they told me subject to change with a price increase, this time, they never told me that and when I talked to the DS about that and reservations, he said they asked him if he wanted to lock these prices in? We shall see....They gave us a total for the trip, etc, so I started to wonder, if I paid the total off before a price increase, would I get charged more or not? Hmmmmmm..:confused3
I just booked for February and also noticed that the CM did not say anything about the price possibly changing. I'm not saying it won't change, but just found that interesting.

Thanks, y'all. I'm very new to all of this. I NEVER plan that far in advance. I think I have commitment issues. 6 months out is too far in advance to plan a trip--for me. This is going to take some getting used to.

Thanks, y'all. I'm very new to all of this. I NEVER plan that far in advance. I think I have commitment issues. 6 months out is too far in advance to plan a trip--for me. This is going to take some getting used to.
It isn't really a commitment because you can cancel without penalty up to very close to the trip. Don't be afraid to book early.

It isn't really a commitment because you can cancel without penalty up to very close to the trip. Don't be afraid to book early.

I agree with @Shanti on this, however... on that note.... If you KNOW you aren't going to be able to go, then you should cancel as soon as possible too. This will allow others to get a chance to go in what might otherwise be a "Booked" time frame.

On the price change...I booked my August 2018 trip on March 26 2017..I was quoted a price...I paid the deposit..then I asked the CM if my MDE would be updated or would I get an email or statement with the new price when they came out for 2018? ..she said no the price I was given would not change/ increase..I said huh..really?? and she said nope.....Soo I'm just waiting and watching to see if she is right or not

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter