How good/bad a job has your state done at flattening the curve?

Yesterday, Florida reported a drop in new cases for the first time since our case numbers started going up -- 637 new cases vs 898 the day before. But one day doesn't make a trend. It's possible that a county or two were just late in reporting in time to be counted. I'll believe it when I see several days of declining numbers.

Also yesterday, our governor announced the four counties in SE Florida will be under a "Safer At Home" order. He originally said through May 15, which startled some folks, but it's actually through April 15. The Guv's wife had a baby the night before, so he'd probably been up 36 hours or so straight!

The counties affected are Miami-Dade, Broward (Ft Lauderdale area), Palm Beach, and Monroe (Florida Keys). Those 4 counties have 60% of our cases, but actually surprisingly smallish numbers of hospitalizations and deaths.

I think it's still WAY too early for anybody to get confident yet. I think the next couple of weeks are going to be when this thing REALLY takes off.

Im not sure but if the question was what State has the slowest talking Governor, Ohio wins hands down. He speaks every day, and what it would take a normal person to say in 10 min, it takes him 2 hour and 33 min

Our governor is great (Maryland), but I don't need a recap of everything from Day 1, each and every day. Start with whatever new rules you are implementing, and then you can talk for an hour after I drop off.

Hard to tell, we're in the thick of it now. And I'm in a region that has had an unexpectedly high rate of cases.
In retrospect, being rural where we all thought we'd be the last hit; but, located within an hour of three cities was probably the kiss of death.
Too many commuters who brought it home from work or entertainment events... And few people taking it seriously at that point.

Our state Virginia is doing a pretty good job. We live in rural central Virginia. I'm pleasantly surprised that people are trying to support our little restaurants, who are having to shift to takeout only. The level of support for the restaurants is giving me hope for our economy as a whole (once all this passes)

NH is doing ok. However, states around us are not taking it seriously, despite what their governors have tried to enact. There is no way that won't impact us.
Vermont here - we are next to you and I feel our governor/State is doing a good job. We have about 128 positive cases. My DD is in law enforcement and there is no one out and about. The issue is people from out of state trying to coming here to "get away".

The projections for the country overall are outdated as far as beds needed...it seems they updated the deceased count today, but I'd like to see them update the beds needed because it's way lower than projected there (163,000 cases, estimate 80-90% don't need hospital stays then we're looking at only, say 30,000 to 40,000 MAX which is half of their projection for today)
I'm not sure how close these graphs will prove to be accurate beyond that we're under-prepared, especially most big cities.

One thing not made clear in these projections is number of beds/resources already in use for non-c19 issues. Staff is vital too. Are these projections based on current measures, not sure.

I'm also in Kentucky and our governor really made an effort to try and get out in front of this.

On that chart it states that educational facilities are not closed-they are and have been for the last 3 weeks I think. We don't have a "stay at home" order, but things are pretty much locked down. And an order was made yesterday to restrict travelling out of state-with a few work or medical exceptions.

Governor has asked that churches or anyone with bells ring them daily at 10AM and he is lighting his home up green any day we have a death and others are following his lead with that.

And as corny or "hokey" as he would say that it sounds, he starts every press conference with us saying with him "We will get through this and we will get through this together"-and you know I repeat that with him and it's reassuring for some reason.

It's the highly populated areas. Then its large group gatherings. I was in a large group gathering ( funeral, memorial service on 3/20) of over 100 persons. Wow, how quickly things changed since that day. The potential of spread in that ONE gathering could have been W I D E S P R E A D. Many out of town, out of state. The need to stay home can not be drilled to us enough!!
What is happening in NY,NY, Detroit, Chicago should not be a surprise to anyone.

Yesterday, Florida reported a drop in new cases for the first time since our case numbers started going up -- 637 new cases vs 898 the day before. But one day doesn't make a trend. It's possible that a county or two were just late in reporting in time to be counted. I'll believe it when I see several days of declining numbers.

Also yesterday, our governor announced the four counties in SE Florida will be under a "Safer At Home" order. He originally said through May 15, which startled some folks, but it's actually through April 15. The Guv's wife had a baby the night before, so he'd probably been up 36 hours or so straight!

The counties affected are Miami-Dade, Broward (Ft Lauderdale area), Palm Beach, and Monroe (Florida Keys). Those 4 counties have 60% of our cases, but actually surprisingly smallish numbers of hospitalizations and deaths.

I think it's still WAY too early for anybody to get confident yet. I think the next couple of weeks are going to be when this thing REALLY takes off.

Sorry Jim . . . I can’t resist the temptation. FL doesn’t have the best reputation for counting or recounting. 🤪
Totally agree that a day or two of a drop won’t have much affect on the linear regression of the data. Everything available is still going up.

New Jersey. We have high case numbers but most are in North Jersey. I'm in Southern NJ, right near Philadelphia.

Our governor put us on shutdown 3/21. The week before that we were on curfew. Now if people would just listen.

I can't say, because I don't know what our case count would be otherwise. But we've gone from 63 cases on March 15th to 4,843 cases on March 30th

March 15

March 20

March 25

March 30

California seems to be on a good path.

Our county (Orange) is doing pretty well. We are around 450 cases or so and our hospitals are not being overwhelmed yet. We have had cases here for a long time (since Feb) and haven't seen an exponential explosion yet, and it appears we may not.

Of course we have hot spots like LA and SF, but overall, if our peak is only 100 deaths per day, I'd say that's a success overall, considering out huge population.

It's the highly populated areas. Then its large group gatherings. I was in a large group gathering ( funeral, memorial service on 3/20) of over 100 persons. Wow, how quickly things changed since that day. The potential of spread in that ONE gathering could have been W I D E S P R E A D. Many out of town, out of state. The need to stay home can not be drilled to us enough!!
What is happening in NY,NY, Detroit, Chicago should not be a surprise to anyone.

That was more than a week after our borders were closed. By that time the danger of spreading it was known, not potential. Hoping every one there was lucky.

We live in an age restricted community, in a Jersey suburb of Philly. A very few of our neighbors are covidiots having friends or family visit, but most are social distancing. People are out and about on foot or in their yards. We all talk, but keep our distance. A lot of food shopping with multiple lists and using shop at home services.

Our state, county, and local governments are doing a good job. They are particularly active on social media. Although the numbers are unacceptably high, it seems to me they are making the right moves and not engaging in magical thinking.

Here's Florida on the left and our home county (Miami-Dade) on the right. On the bar charts reflecting New Cases by Day, you have to ignore the last bar, because only part of the reports are in for today. Today's numbers won't really be accurate until the 11 AM update tomorrow.

The numbers are a little hopeful, but I want to see 2-3 more days worth of declining new cases. I'm also expecting the deaths to continue to increase even as the new cases taper off, but we'll see.

We've also done 61,000 tests as of yesterday, with about a 10% positive statewide. Our local Dade County positives are somewhat higher...almost 18%.

New Jersey. We have high case numbers but most are in North Jersey. I'm in Southern NJ, right near Philadelphia.

Our governor put us on shutdown 3/21. The week before that we were on curfew. Now if people would just listen.
Too many don't listen or think rules apply to them. It's difficult to enforce the orders and they know it. A little personal responsibility goes a long way.

Said it before but many people in the state don’t know the shutdown is only for non Essential RETAIL. Other states are more strict.

Too many don't listen or think rules apply to them. It's difficult to enforce the orders and they know it. A little personal responsibility goes a long way.
I went out today for the first time in over a week, and honestly I was impressed.

I live in a densely-populated suburb of Miami, but traffic was very light. Most of the vehicles on the road were work trucks. I went to Costco for the first time since the outbreak, and was pleased to see the organization and orderly way people were acting.

Quite a number of people were wearing masks, a good number wearing gloves (I think all of the Costco employees might have been wearing gloves). One employee was even wearing one of the 3-D printed face shields that two of our universities are producing for hospital workers (she's part-time and one of the students involved in the project). The employees were obviously well-schooled in social distancing -- it was really obvious that they were making a conscious effort to stay away from customers and other employees.

The customers were also very well-behaved for the most part. Costco has lines on the floor to keep people apart while waiting in the checkout lines and customers were obeying the distancing.

The only SD violation I saw was when one employee brewed some Cuban Coffee...but there are limits, you know!

On my way home, I saw a Coke truck making a delivery to a store and the driver had both gloves and a real N95 respirator mask -- so somebody is taking care of their employees.

Said it before but many people in the state don’t know the shutdown is only for non Essential RETAIL. Other states are more strict.

Not accurate . . . here’s some of the restrictions you failed to mention.
There are bans on recreational and entertainment businesses, requirements that all restaurants operate by delivery and takeout only, and the directive that all pre-K, elementary, and secondary schools close and all institutions of higher education cease in-person instruction.
Also prohibited are large gatherings such as parties, celebrations, or other social events, unless otherwise authorized by the Order.
When in public, individuals must practice social distancing and stay at least six feet apart whenever possible, excluding immediate family members, caretakers, household members, or romantic partners.
This list isn’t exhaustive as I’m too exhausted to summarize the governor’s several Executive Orders.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter