• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How has your hometown changed since you were born?

I haven’t been back in 20 years but from what I hear from friends who still live there and google map a lot! It has definitely expanded.

If you mean where I was born... it's been bombed pretty heavily in the past couple years.

Overall, the skyline has gotten hideously taller thru out all the boros except Staten Island. I really despise the ”needle“ residential towers that dot Manhattan. Ugly from an architectural POV and I’d probably suffer from vertigo up in the clouds. The bikes running on the city’s main thoroughfares give the city a new feel. So many new museums I just can’t keep up anymore. Glad more greenspace is being cared for.

Population in the year I was born, 367,000. Population today 1,600,000.
I live 3.8 miles from where I was born. When I was born it was out in the sticks. Now, it is in the middle of the suburbs. When I was born, it was basically scattered houses on plots of late of 5 acres or more, mostly more. Not is is all houses.

A lot of old buildings are gone. The shopping center of my youth became more or less a series of strip malls. A lot of the centers of business have gone. Many buildings have been razed.

But even then, there are still a lot of places I still recognize that have been around since I was a kid. Maybe a different business, but the building is still there and sometimes even some odd looking reuse of an old sign that was in a specific shape.

I guess the thing I remember different is the parks where I played at a child and that I take my own child to play at. I specifically remember thinking as a kid this doesn't look all that safe - especially splintery wood play structures and the domes with only wood chips to cushion a fall. All the stuff that replaced those seems to safe, where childhood was supposed to be filled with danger.

Last edited:

I have no idea. I was taken into foster care from the hospital and I've never been back. Don't think I ever will. Nothing good is represented there for me.

totaly ruined by tourism and greed. the napa valley i grew up in was lovely but it no longer exists.

Small town in Illinois. I was back to my hometown for the first time in several years last week. These were all of the changes I noticed:
  1. New gas station.
  2. Four way stop sign at the center of town is now a roundabout.
  3. Bowling alley moved to a new building.
  4. One of the grade schools closed. The other school was expanded.
  5. Pizza place and 1 bar closed.
  6. City now owns the country club.
  7. One new subdivision of bigger homes.
Overall, not a lot of change and not as much growth as the other towns in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter