• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How I Hate FastPass+

I mainly saw the easywdw reports, and it's been awhile, but I thought waits on "lesser" rides only increased by 5-10 minutes, while waits on "headliners" decreased a little less than that.

I could have mis-read, or be remembering wrong, or not looking at the best, lastest data. Not sure. Regardless, waiting 30 minutes at Figment is CRAZY, but then again, the wait didn't make itself. There are obviously (a bunch of) people willing to wait ....

To me the greatest difference is not the increased waits at secondary attractions. It's the jump from FP wait to standby wait for the attractions I can no longer get a FP for (beyond first 3 or ride repeats).

I mainly saw the easywdw reports, and it's been awhile, but I thought waits on "lesser" rides only increased by 5-10 minutes, while waits on "headliners" decreased a little less than that.

I could have mis-read, or be remembering wrong, or not looking at the best, lastest data. Not sure. Regardless, waiting 30 minutes at Figment is CRAZY, but then again, the wait didn't make itself. There are obviously (a bunch of) people willing to wait ....
The exact minutes of waiting are debatable -- they'll obviously fluctuate depending on the season. But for there to be ANY wait for what used to be a walk-on... the only reason I can see is that WDW is using FP+ to manage flow to and thru the attractions. People are waiting for Figment because (a) it's the only FP they could get, and (b) they've probably never ridden it before.

We routinely saw 15 minute wait times posted for rides like Nemo and Figment, but in reality, they were walk ons. The inflated wait times may be a way to entice people to get a FP for those less popular rides. For first timers, especially.

I didn't do a "study" but for my Thanksgiving week trip, we did not notice longer lines than normal at, say, Haunted Mansion or Pirates of the Caribbean. I am sure that the "studies" are right, and that the lines have incrementally increased, but in practice, it wasn't so much that we noticed it. It was (if there) unappreciable.

It's not so much the length of lines we notice, it's that once we get in those lines, the lines move painfully slow because of all the FP people getting on before us. I will only do standby at Haunted Mansion and Pirates at rope drop or late in the evening now because of this. Pre FP+ it was much quicker to ride these attractions mid day.

But does this make sense to you? If you have more people through the gate, then doesn't it follow that FP- would have been gone sooner, too? So then getting information on how to manage Disney would become paramount to everyone, and the crowds at RD would get even larger than they are, you'd have more of a sprint to collect FPs, which would then get used up earlier in the day, so you wouldn't have the option of coming into the park and getting tickets to headliners because they'd be gone earlier and earlier.

whiporee, I think you have sound logic and I like you looking at the math. I am an engineer and ANY good data can help understand something. I really like TheDisGuy and Itchin's response to your and everyone saying FP+ is better for the specific guests (like me) who like a fast-paced touring plan (FP+ is better for the more casual touring plan). As far as legacy FP, I would venture to guess the majority of guests did not know how to maximize usage. Let's take Soarin for example, I think most of us knew the trick/strategy to scan a FP as you were walking onto it after RD. Sometimes I would actually stand and wait a few minutes until the return time was in the window I wanted. When I came back to ride it later I would see a FP return time 5 - 7 hours later and people were scanning their legacy FP. This took them out of FP equation for those 5 -7 hours. While using my FP I walked past MANY others standing in the 90-min standby line. Not only would I never stand in line over an hour, I would be off the ride before these people allowing me to get another FP somewhere else in the park before them, essentially taking THEM out of the FP equation. Other attractions had longer FP return times and standby lines taking all those people out of the equation as well. I don't know the load times so you can probably do the math better. You can see those of us who knew exactly which FPs to get and more importantly WHEN to get them gave us a HUGE advantage.

Its about preference, depending on your touring plan, you may or may not like FP+. For those of us that do not, we just need to learn the new crowd patterns and how the system works. Like if a SB line gets under 30min will the system open up FPs? If we knew that and if/when a line for a ride typically gets low then we could take advantage of that fact. The other thing I think Disney could do is put a few hidden kisoks around the parks for those of nuts that have fast-paced touring plans.

whiporee, I think you have sound logic and I like you looking at the math. I am an engineer and ANY good data can help understand something. I really like TheDisGuy and Itchin's response to your and everyone saying FP+ is better for the specific guests (like me) who like a fast-paced touring plan (FP+ is better for the more casual touring plan). As far as legacy FP, I would venture to guess the majority of guests did not know how to maximize usage. Let's take Soarin for example, I think most of us knew the trick/strategy to scan a FP as you were walking onto it after RD. Sometimes I would actually stand and wait a few minutes until the return time was in the window I wanted. When I came back to ride it later I would see a FP return time 5 - 7 hours later and people were scanning their legacy FP. This took them out of FP equation for those 5 -7 hours. While using my FP I walked past MANY others standing in the 90-min standby line. Not only would I never stand in line over an hour, I would be off the ride before these people allowing me to get another FP somewhere else in the park before them, essentially taking THEM out of the FP equation. Other attractions had longer FP return times and standby lines taking all those people out of the equation as well. I don't know the load times so you can probably do the math better. You can see those of us who knew exactly which FPs to get and more importantly WHEN to get them gave us a HUGE advantage.

Its about preference, depending on your touring plan, you may or may not like FP+. For those of us that do not, we just need to learn the new crowd patterns and how the system works. Like if a SB line gets under 30min will the system open up FPs? If we knew that and if/when a line for a ride typically gets low then we could take advantage of that fact. The other thing I think Disney could do is put a few hidden kisoks around the parks for those of nuts that have fast-paced touring plans.

Never, ever, did this occur for more than 2 hours. Every FP issued explained at what time the next FP would be available.

Never, ever, did this occur for more than 2 hours. Every FP issued explained at what time the next FP would be available.

Okay technically you are correct. Yes, for those that knew what they were doing they could get another FP but their touring plan (or lack there of) would not likely affect my touring plan. Most would be happy they got their FP and go wait in a line, eat, or go back to their hotel until their window. I don't know how else to explain. Again, its just different tactics and touring plans... preference. I have nothing against anyone that doesn't care to understand this touring plan strategy, I have explained it to some friends and they hate thinking about vacationing this way and laugh at me when I start with, "7:06 am arrive at MK Parking entrance".

Last edited:

That too! Regardless, it was a very limited issue and easily avoidable. I don't think I ever waited behind more than 4 or 5 people in that FP line.

It sure did run out early. But not within 30 minutes.

Hopefully someone will share the kiosk line avoidance techniques. I'd love to know before our trip. I've heard the Stitch kiosk can be less busy. But I don't see how running over to TL to avoid the line in FL is any better than the FP runner of Legacy FP.

I was just at WDW this week. At MK and EP there were a few extra FP+ kiosks set up that were not on the park maps. I used the MK kiosk at Heritage House (which I read about here) at 12:00 noon during the parade. I was the ONLY person in there on a crowd level 10 day! I was trying to make my way over there and asked a CM if it was open. She didn't know there was a kiosk in HH, checked the map, then directed me to a manager who was managing traffic flow. She said Heritage House was not on the map, but was open on very busy days - a secret kiosk! There was another one at EP, but when I tried it, they had closed it up. It was through a set of double glass doors on the right as you are walking from the entrance toward the fountain. I think it was just before Innoventions where the curved concrete benches/planters are. When I found it closed, I went to the one in Innoventions (the next set of double glass doors). I walked right up to a screen at 3:00 PM, again on a crowd level 10 day.

WDW vacations have always been complicated. I bought multiple guidebooks before going for the first time. You can't tell me that the old FP system wasn't complicated too. It was! It's just that we knew how to use it ... in our sleep! So now we have to learn a new system. It's ok if people don't want to .... if this was the straw that brok the camels back.

But the system being complicated is nothing new.

For some I do agree this is true. For myself and my family only, we did not find that WDW vacations were "always complicated.". They did not used to be for us. They are moreso now. Not enough to make us not go back, but enough to notice the difference and enough to have it be frustrating at times.

For some I do agree this is true. For myself and my family only, we did not find that WDW vacations were "always complicated.". They did not used to be for us. They are moreso now. Not enough to make us not go back, but enough to notice the difference and enough to have it be frustrating at times.

I agree with this. WDW vacations were never complicated for us in the past. Now...not so much.

I liked the old fast pass because I did not have to know what park I was going to 60 days in advance. That is the part I truely dislike.

Don't ya just love how all the "negative" stuff gets moved over to the Alphabet side of the Board now?! LOL FP+ is THE MAJOR "trip planing and strategic" thing going on right now at WDW and all threads are buried in the "Name another word besides LINE that starts with L" side of things. LMAO!!! Good times indeed.

They didn't seem to like the suggestion of a fast pass board. It made sense to me since it's asked about so often but meh... Maybe not lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter