How important is a verandah?

nancy drew

DIS Veteran
We are looking at booking our first cruise, and I cannot decide on what type of room to book. We will be one adult and 2 kids, age 7 and 9. I tend to get seasick but have never been on a cruise so I'm not sure how it will be on a ship. We won't be sailing during hurricane season.

So how important is a verandah?

We wouldn't have done it without our verandah, we spent actually more time in our room than expected and were so glad we could enjoy the ocean..it won't make or break your vacation but does add that little extra "special touch" if its not something you think you MUST HAVE don't book it and just ask at port if they have any upgrades available and see if its a last minute splurge you want to move into!

I wouldn't bother much with it. For sea sickness, 2nd deck midship is best. THe kids beds are closest to the verandah, which doesn't really work for me. Some wouldn't cruise without it. We have done both (never with kids). We prefer the verandah, but we thoroughly enjoyed cruising without it too. It just pans out to weather you want to pay for it or not, I guess. We are getting two inside adjoining rooms for cheaper than the family room with verandah (there are 5 of us). Definitely not worth it for us this time!

We hardly ever use the verandah. We book it thinking we will spend a lot of time on it and always leave feeling like we didn't enjoy it enough.

We've cruised twice (not on disney), both without a verandah and it was fine. However, we're now 5 people so our next cruise will be with one. I've priced both (2 cabins or a larger one with the verandah) and it's cheaper just getting the room with one. It'll be nice having it too I think....something different. Good luck!

Agree with Summer. For those who tend to get seasick, we've found deck 2 midship to be best. We got our porthole, so didn't feel claustrophobic, but we didn't feel nearly as much rocking there as we did when we were forward and/or on a higher deck on prior cruises.

P.S. We popped a non-drowsy bonine every morning of our cruise, and we were fine (Hubby is prone to seasickness)...and we were on the crazy Sandy-Fantasy sailing last week!

Where can you buy bonine? We are worried about our oldest daughter (8). DH and I are fine on ships.

If you have concerns or get sea sick mid ship is ideal. I particular don't think a verandah is necessary as long as you can get a large enough stateroom for your family. I usually do not spend a lot of time in my stateroom so IMPO a verandah would go do waste. However, I do prefer having a window for the natural light and to check out the daily weather.

Loved my verandah on both cruises. I'm not a person who likes to be out and about all day. I like spending some time by myself out on the verandah. It was especially handy when my son was sleeping and I wanted to get some fresh air.

For sea sickness I recommend sea bands. I was not a believer prior to our last cruise. My son got very sea sick and I have him both over the counter (Meclizine) and prescription (Zofran) for it and neither did much good. The sea bands are the only thing that helped. He even would remember to ask me for them when he started to feel a little sick and told me they really helped. He said he had no problems after he had them on. I got some too and they really made a difference. I was very surprised how well they worked.

The other thing that helped my son was stepping out on the verandah to get some fresh air and focus on the horizon.

For a multi sea day cruise I'd definitely get a verandah again. For a very port intensive cruise with maybe one or 2 sea days I'd get an ocean view if cost was an issue.

Got a free upgrade to a Verandah. 9 cruises, first with a Verandah. Used it, loved it, but even our kids agreed, it wasn't worth what it would have cost if we had to pay for it. We always get an Ocean view. We're out on the deck so much, didn't need it.

That is a question only you can answer. Some people really love verandahs and won't cruise without them. Others barely use them or don't book them because they aren't worth it to them (or they just prefer the other rooms).

I am a verandah person. It is a huge part of the cruise experience to me. I love sitting in my own little personal space with a glass of wine and just watching the ocean. I can sit on my verandah for hours and be totally happy. Whenever we are back at the room, I always go immediately to the verandah door, open it and step outside for a bit. When I'm waiting for people to get ready, I'm out on the verandah. When dh is napping, I'm on the verandah. So for me, the answer to the question is yes, it is very important. ::yes::
But only you can answer that question for you, I'm afraid.
Best of luck with your decision :thumbsup2

That is a question only you can answer. Some people really love verandahs and won't cruise without them. Others barely use them or don't book them because they aren't worth it to them (or they just prefer the other rooms).

I am a verandah person. It is a huge part of the cruise experience to me. I love sitting in my own little personal space with a glass of wine and just watching the ocean.

Ditto for me, but just change "glass of wine" to "cocktail"!

I think a verandah is essential for Alaska. What you can see from your own private viewing area without jockeying for position with everyone else to see the glacier is worth it on its own. But I agree, only you can answer that question. Do what is best for you!

We get a verandah Everytime and I use it maybe for all of 3 minutes when checking out my room for the first time.... However my mom and dad like sitting out on it. I'm never in the room unless I'm sleeping so that could be why too. I guess it depends on how much time u spend in your room.

I'm with the folks that like the private time the verandah allows them. One of my favorite things to do is sit there with a good book and a nice view of the ocean. :)

On our 4 day Dream cruise in August 2013 a verandah was only $240 more over an inside cabin. It was a no brainer even though my 8 & 10 year old wanted the magical porthole.

Its a small indulgence that I feel I deserve. :)

However If it was much more $$$ I would say skip it and splurge elsewhere

We've cruised twice (not on disney), both without a verandah and it was fine. However, we're now 5 people so our next cruise will be with one. I've priced both (2 cabins or a larger one with the verandah) and it's cheaper just getting the room with one. It'll be nice having it too I think....something different. Good luck!

I think it is always cheaper for 5 people to get two 11C rooms than a family with a verandah. On the dream and fantasy, there is a family class without the verandah that is cheaper (outside with porthole). except for deals like Kids sail free, because then you end up paying for 2 of the kids if you get 2 rooms.

As others have said, everyone is different and has different priorities. We won't book a verandah on short (3-4 day) cruises, but for 5+ days, we really enjoy having it. It is a perfect place to get away on crowded sea days!

Also, for motion-sickness, please don't assume bonine won't make you drowsy-- it knocks me out! Most "non-drowsy" medications do have the potential to cause drowsiness, and the most common side effect of meclizine (Bonine) is drowsiness.

The best thing to do is try these OTC remedies before you leave. That way, you will know of any adverse side effects before your cruise! For me, prescription Scopalomine is the only way to go. It causes me no drowsiness, but does dry my mouth and dilates my pupils (sunglasses are a must). But it doesn't work well for everyone and some have more serious reactions. Once again, we all can have different reactions to different medications, and it is best to know of these in advance of your trip.

Have fun!!

Thanks! I guess I can get sea bands at the drug store too? I am heading to buffalo in a few weeks so I will try to pick some up while I am there.

Another vote for "definitely yes" on the verandah. It's great for a before dinner beverage or coffee in the morning while the rest of the crew is getting ready. I'll do some reading out there just watching the ocean pass by. It's also cool (in a geekish way) to be on the verandah watching docking/undocking operations if you're on the correct side of the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter