How important is Alcohol?

We drink, sometimes more, sometimes less. We live in a small college town with 3 microbreweries within walking distance of our house, so we'll walk into town after work once or twice a week, give or take. We are "townies" and know a lot of the other townies, and are happy hanging out, talking about sports, playing cribbage or darts, etc.

I enjoy a cocktail now and then, too. The bartender at the Thai restaurant in town is an outstanding cocktail master, so it's fun to sit at the bar, watch him work, and enjoy a concoction or two. He also has an incredible wine list and vast knowledge of wine, and never lets an open bottle get old. Some evenings after closing, we'll sit with him and do a wine tasting from what is open, before it's discarded. Enjoyable and enlightening.

We also drink wine at home in the evenings- well, DH does, I don't so much. My guess is, with our forays into town and our wine at home, DH has a drink every night. No worries on my part- he's happy and responsible and if he has a lot of work to do or just doesn't have a drink, that's OK too. Alcohol isn't important but it's certainly a part of our lives.
This is us. I quit drinking but we still go to our favorite bar (that happens to have a restaurant attached to it 😉) virtually every Saturday morning because of the group of freinds we have made.

Not important.
We don't get a drink plan when we cruise, it's just pay as you go.
We've cruised on DCL and Carnival. We prefer DCL and will likely pay the extra to go DCL for Alaska, but just get an oceanview room, rather than verandah. Friend has already been to Alaska via Princess and wants to go with us on DCL.
I went on a short cruise with a lady friend a few years ago and we thought we’d take the opportunity to let our hair down a little. We got the drink package on promo and set about to get our money’s worth. I drank as hard as I could for three days and when the room folio came on the last night, it recorded that I’d put back a whole 11 alcoholic beverages in 3 days. :rotfl: No way would the price of those packages ever be worth it to me on the regular.

I have always wondered how we got to the current accepted social norms.

How alcohol is completely normalized as a mind altering drug but other drugs are not only frowned upon but illegal.

My current inclination is that the vast majority of drugs that are currently not allowed to be used recreationally, should be, just like alcohol.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/pr...-drugs-should-be-legal-can-he-convince-steve/

It's beause large companies make a lot of money on alcohol and lobby to push it. If there was an AB-Inbev for weed or something, we'd see that too.

It's beause large companies make a lot of money on alcohol and lobby to push it. If there was an AB-Inbev for weed or something, we'd see that too.
But there is a tremendous amount of money to be made selling legal heroin, morphine, fentanyl, codeine, alcohol, barbiturates, tranquilizers, nicotine, cocaine, methamphetamine, ecstasy (MDMA), LSD (acid), peyote (mescaline), psilocybin (magic mushrooms), marijuana, ketamine, phencyclidine (PCP), and salvia divinorum (diviner's sage).

Why is it that only nicotine and alcohol made the cut for recreational use?

But there is a tremendous amount of money to be made selling legal heroin, morphine, fentanyl, codeine, alcohol, barbiturates, tranquilizers, nicotine, cocaine, methamphetamine, ecstasy (MDMA), LSD (acid), peyote (mescaline), psilocybin (magic mushrooms), marijuana, ketamine, phencyclidine (PCP), and salvia divinorum (diviner's sage).

I think the issue is that there is no unified conglomerate that want's to push that through legal channels. There are certainly people making their money off of it, but as long as it is ilegal it will never become mainstream. Basically, the producres need lobbyists to get that done, and it may happen someday. Please note, I am not advocating for such.

Alcohol companies certianly have performed rehab on the idea. I remember when drinking generally had negative connotations in society - in the US anyway. It was a bit like smoking is now. People did it, but it was considered a vice and not necessarily a desirable trait. That has changed greatly to very wide acceptance, to the point that people consider it de rigueur and are surprised by those who don't partake. This was no doubt due to the influence of the big companies and their advertising, etc.

There's not a single Xmas party that I'll go to this month that won't have drinking involved & a sober one would be boring & I'd be finding a reason to exit. Cheers!!
{{shudder}} We have two open-bar Christmas events at my work every season. It often takes until February to live it all down. It’s an HR minefield and I despise it. :sad2:
We drink, sometimes more, sometimes less. We live in a small college town with 3 microbreweries within walking distance of our house, so we'll walk into town after work once or twice a week, give or take. We are "townies" and know a lot of the other townies, and are happy hanging out, talking about sports, playing cribbage or darts, etc.

I enjoy a cocktail now and then, too. The bartender at the Thai restaurant in town is an outstanding cocktail master, so it's fun to sit at the bar, watch him work, and enjoy a concoction or two. He also has an incredible wine list and vast knowledge of wine, and never lets an open bottle get old. Some evenings after closing, we'll sit with him and do a wine tasting from what is open, before it's discarded. Enjoyable and enlightening.

We also drink wine at home in the evenings- well, DH does, I don't so much. My guess is, with our forays into town and our wine at home, DH has a drink every night. No worries on my part- he's happy and responsible and if he has a lot of work to do or just doesn't have a drink, that's OK too. Alcohol isn't important but it's certainly a part of our lives.
Awww, that all sounds lovely! :lovestruc I’m a little jealous.

Both of my parents and my mother's ex husband were alcoholics. I knew I wasn't going to go down that road but am kind of surprised at where I landed, especially since I now live in the drunkest state in the country. I drink a fair amount of days when I'm away on work trips, but never many drinks per day. And I've had the same six pack of beer in my fridge since July. When I was in FL for my side job in October, I had one beer every day during the event and then five or six when the event was over. I appreciate a good beer with dinner or relaxing, but I'm long past the day of buying whatever is cheapest so I can get more.

I think it is just how history happened. Not everything has a logical explanation. Because it is basically globally decided that these two are the exceptions.

Not important to me. I used to feel obligated to have a drink at gatherings, but I don't any longer. The older I get, the more alcohol doesn't agree with me.

Not important in our family. Most alcohol consumed is at holiday parties or big events. A bottle of wine a month at home probably on nice dinners.

Alcohol has been with us since the beginning of agriculture and ingrained into our society. There was once a time of Puritan level efforts and Prohibition was enacted -- only to fail as alcohol went underground to speakeasy mafia establishments.

Some politicians and other social constructs may try to make this a poor class drunks; but alcohol dependency is even more prevalent among the 'higher' society than regular joes.

If one using statements like 'dry January' efforts, alcohol definitely playing active role in one's life.

There were times in the past where I would've ordered a drink just because I felt like I should, but today, I do it because I genuinely like the taste and like trying new things. I'm also not afraid to order a diet coke if I don't feel like having anything else.

I wouldn't call it "important" so much as "enjoyable." I like bourbon after a long day. When I'm out (usually work-related), I'll have one drink and then switch to club soda with lime.

Honestly? At home, I think since quarantine, I have noticed I've been having more bourbon than is probably good for me (I guess none of it is good for me...). Not tipsy or drunk, but relaxed. Something to think about.

I do get the side eye when I order just water which is 90% of the time. No, I’m not cheap or trying to save money or any other assumption. I just like water. 🤷🏻‍♀️ My son is the same way. At home we don’t even have beverages with our meal. A lot of times ordering water is the only way to get them to stop asking if you want something to drink.

I see these influencers drinking all the time in the Parks and I wonder how they can make it through a full day. It’s a physically demanding vacation, I can’t imagine throwing alcohol into the mix.
Maybe it makes walking less painful.

Not very important now. It loomed too large in my life as the child, grandchild, and niece of alcoholics so that now I rarely drink. I don't go to bars really because I dislike the smell of stale alcohol, but I'll occasionally have one or two beers at home. I'll have a glass of wine with Thanksgiving dinner, although I don't see the fuss over this beverage. If I'm at a wedding reception or other thing where alcohol is served, I'll have one and then switch to soda.

I think alcoholism is probably coded into my DNA, and I'd rather not trigger it. The few times I've been drunk ended badly.

Beer (Pilsners not IPS’a) is my favorite drink. I love trying different local craft beers, at home and when I travel. That being said I can’t remember the last time I was drunk. I may try one or two and I do enjoy have a beer with my meal when we eat out. In the summer I will take a couple bees in the pool with me for my Saturday float but that’s about it. No hard liquor. Just beer.

I genuinely don't like the way alcohol tastes. And I detest feeling altered in any way. I have been drunk in my youth and even had it videotaped...that stopped my desire to drink dead in its tracks. Watching myself drunk.

But mostly I don't like the taste. Wine is just vile (good bad cheap and expensive), and everything else tastes like burning. Except beer...that tastes like carbonated Weasel pee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter