How important is staying on Property?

aprincessatlast

DIS Veteran
Plans to go to Paris this summer. Obviously as Disney fans we plan on going to the parks. Originally just 2 days towards the end of a week stay in Paris. Going to the Normandy/Brittany for a few days after.

The buy 2 get 2 deal is really good but I am struggling as I really don't want to spend that much time there. I could just base from there to Paris but renting an apartment everything is best done with a week long stay. Long story short how important is staying on Property? Is the train to/from Paris too exhausting after day in parks? Is 4 days too much when family would want to explore other parts of Paris?

Personally,one big reason i stay on property is the night time firework show,dreams. It depends if you would want to go to this? I highly recommend it! We usually go both nights. It is at 11pm at night so the question is are you willing to get the train back at that time at night? i prefer the ease of just getting the free shuttle or you can always walk back. I never got the train so can't say anything good or bad about it. Again 4 days is a personal thing, i'm a huge disney fanatic so wouldn't say 4 days is too much but others would disagree but 2 days i think is a nice amount of time to get what you want done :)

There is another option, to stay at one of the partner / good neighbour hotels. These are The Kyraid, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Explorers and B and B Hotel. They are located right at the edge of Disney property. They have room, breakfast and park packages and provide a free shuttle to and from the parks.

Staying at a partner hotel you dont get access to EMH but you can still late and see the night time projection and firework show. The buses back from the parks are crowded but at least you know you are nearby and dont have to face the train journey back into Paris late at night.

Speaking from experience, it's critically important. These parks on the small side but they're catering to essentially everyone in that part of Europe. EMH is 2 hours, as opposed to just 1 in Disney World. So think about that, by staying at a Disney hotel (and there aren't a ton), you're getting a 2 hour jump on all the folks in Paris making a day trip.

4 years ago, I went in the summer and on a Sunday. I did a day trip and it was a total disaster. I got to the park right as it opened for regular guests and the lines were already packed. We went to Crush's Coaster first, and had to wait about 30 minutes. By the time we got off, the lines across the parks were packed beyond belief, FP return times were undesirable, and we were stuck queuing for 60 minutes+ for just about any noteworthy ride.

I seriously suggest you stay at a Disney hotel. And I'd also recommend going on a weekday if it all possible.

My experience on the Paris trains aren't good, to be honest taken about 40/45 (if all goes well) minutes from the parks to Paris.
Easier to stay on property and you have the advantage of the EMH.

With Paris i find it's always easier to stay onsite! It's much easier knowing you don't have any trains to get back for. I don't know how reliable the trains are. Also if traveling on your first day by Train it's so much easier to use Express Luggage, and go straight to the parks!

If you have family i would recommend on site, if your a couple, or solo then offsite is something you could potentially look into.

I've done both staying onsite and as a day trip from Paris - I really didn't enjoy the visit from Paris so much. The travel from central Paris seems to take longer than you expect. Then when you arrive at the park there is a huge queue at opening time to get your bags searched. All day long you can't really enjoy yourself because you know you've got the journey back ahead of you. Also the journey back on the metro at night doesn't seem that safe when you've got children with you. Plus once you get off the metro the other end you may have a walk back to your accommodation in the dark which may feel unsafe. I much prefer to stay onsite where you can stay in the park as long as you like knowing that it is a quick safe walk/bus straight back to your hotel. Also you can relax and enjoy the Disney village or the bar in your hotel with the kids happy in the small play area (assuming they still have these in hotels. It's been a while!)

It's not critical to stay on property, but I'd stay near the resort. There are the partners hotel, but also many other restaurants 2 ore 3 stops via RER A. lately I've been staying at the Kyriad in Torcy and it's an acceptable hotel just to sleep in, very cheap, and 15 minutes from the parks.
Hoewer staying onsite is nice because the resort is all walkable and it's nice to be able to walk to the parks, even from the Value hotels.

So, likely, the season makes the difference. But I enjoyed the day trip, and I didn't have any problems like the ones described above. Mostly because the Paris parks are tiny, there isn't a ton of shopping, and the food options aren't great...so I did everything in the park, including the firework show, and I was done. I had planned a second day but didn't end up needing it. There really aren't a ton of rides, and some of my favorites like splash and jungle cruise, don't exist. The ride to and from Paris is super easy, and Paris metro system is safe enough late at night- as long as your apartment is relatively central.

However- if you are into character meet and greets, I probably would want the EMH. I don't wait in line for those but a lot of people do.

(You don't say how many kids you've got or what their ages are. But I've been to DL, WDW, and Paris, and I can't imagine filling up 4 days in the Paris parks. 4 days is about what you need at DL in high season! And Paris is tiny compared to the California parks. It's also not nearly as interesting as Paris. 4 days is not enough for the city!)

What is your budget and where are you staying? Obviously an apartment but which district?
I would take the Louvre, Orsay , Pompidou any day over DLP. I actually think DLP is a waste of money. It does not have much Disney Charm. Its a pretty park. But I wish I did not waste four days there. Paris has so many attractions in it that are more value to a children's life. I am not saying do not go. But I would just get a uber to drive you back to Paris. The trains are fine. But at that time of night why risk it?

What else are you seeing in Paris?

PS. I had much more fun in DLC and WDW and even Tokyo then DLP

Last edited:
What is your budget and where are you staying? Obviously an apartment but which district?
I would take the Louvre, Orsay , Pompidou any day over DLP. I actually think DLP is a waste of money. It does not have much Disney Charm. Its a pretty park. But I wish I did not waste four days there. Paris has so many attractions in it that are more value to a children's life. I am not saying do not go. But I would just get a uber to drive you back to Paris. The trains are fine. But at that time of night why risk it?

What else are you seeing in Paris?

PS. I had much more fun in DLC and WDW and even Tokyo then DLP

Ok thanks everyone for all the replies and tips. It has been over 2 months since my op and this is the last leg to plan. I think we are going to stay onsite (sort of) at Davy Crockets this summer for 3 nights, but really only 2 days in the park as we will leave really early on last day. (we will have a car for that portion of the trip) I need to book before the promo ends. It would have been nice to stay at Newport Bay with the buy 2 get 2 (which Spain is still offering) but would rather spend it on other parts of the trip. This way we don't interfere with our Paris portion, which is a week in an apartment in the Marais. We are getting the museum pass and will be hitting Louve, Pompidou, Versaille, fountainbleu, and lots of cafes etc. Excited most about that and Switzerland.

We love DCL,WDW, and DL so hoping that DLP delivers! After this dreaming of Tokyo!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter