How is Epcot for Xmas Day and is it as good as MK?

DonaldsGrl103

DIS Veteran
Hey guys,
I figured I'd ask the experts to tell me what would be the best things to do in Epcot on xmas day. We wanted to go to MK but my brother is severely disabled and I dont think he could make it staying their all day. So we figured maybe we go to the magic kingdom in the morning, stay there for a while go back to our hotel (DOLPHIN) relax a bit and spend the evening enjoying epcot. I would appreciate your help as I would love to make this trip extra special for him. If anyone has any ideas or hints or maybe they think we should spend the evening at mgm? Please let us know
THANKS SO MUCH

I think EPCOT would be a good choice for Christmas night. It is a large park and that usually makes it feel less crowded.

Keep in mind though, that the parks can and do close to new entries when capacity is reached. However, they do reopen the park once enough folks have left to make it sensible to let additional guests in.

MK is going to be absolutely jammed on Christmas Day, regardless of when you go. It might be a little doable first thing in the morning, but don't count on it.

I've seen it so crowded that all you could do was just stand over the "side" and watch the chaos play out.

Not necessarily fun, unless you like crushing crowds.

MGM Studios is not a favorite of mine, so I am not the one to comment on going there for Christmas day/evening. I wouldn't, partially because of the Osborne Festival of Lights. A gazillion people go there on Christmas to see them.

I think EPCOT would be your best bet all round.

I think Epcot is the best choice for Christmas Day. It handles the crowds much better. I would recommend going to Epcot in the morning and skipping MK unless you can get there well before the park opens. I also would not leave Epcot once you arrive. They have closed the park on Christmas Day before. If you wait until evening, there's a good chance you won't get in.

I would just stroll or boat over to Epcot in the morning. Then when you are done for the day, head back to the Dolphin. Eat there or on the Boardwalk. Maybe you'll luck out and have a room with a view of the Epcot fireworks.

You might want to hit MK on Christmas Eve, though it will be crowded. The used to have fake snow there on Dec. 24th. MGM's Osborne Lights are also worth seeing--so make sure you go some evening during your trip.

You will love the Dolphin. It's our favorite hotel.

We did Epcot on Christmas Day last yr and it was AWESOME! That is the last night they do a tree lighting with ALL of the characters. It's located just as you enter into World Showcase around 6;30pm if I remember correctly. And it was GREAT!

We got to Epcot and stayed until after the Illuminations Fireworks show. I think this is the best evening show WDW offers.

Dec. can be (and was last yr) very very cold during Dec. especially at night. But because of the cooler weather you might find it easier to relax.

There was very very few waits for us (we skipped TT and MS) compared to MK and the chaos there.

There are several very nice places to relax and enjoy some people watching in World Showcase, would that be an option for you other than leaving the park? I know with the # of people at WDW I would worry about taking the chance of leaving and NOT being able to return.

Good Luck and enjoy your trip

Wow it sounds like Epcot will be my best bet and I cant wait to see the tree lighting ceremony, candelight processional and illuminations will be just beautiful. I will maybe make a late PS at one of the restaurants in world showcase and go from there. Thanks again for aall your advice.

Hey Craziefortigger, we were also at Epcot on Christmas Day last year. We absolutely loved it!

DonaldsGrl103, like others said it was very crowded but since that park is so big we didn't have a problem. Most of the restaurants were booked by that morning for lunch and dinner. I would have made PS ahead of time if I had thought that far in advance. It was a very last minute trip for us so I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked to have been. I hope that you have a wonderful time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter