How is everyones garden doing

Cogswel_Cogs

DIS Veteran
So far we have gotten ton of string beans 16 cucumbers and 1 tomato. Hopefully tomatoes will start to ripen.

Mine was great, so great that the woodchuck got in the fence and ate pretty much everything.

ya know every year I want to plant a garden, got the room but never do, next year

Nonexistent. Every year I try my hand at tomatoes and each year I have a different problem!!! Not enough water, too much water, too much shade, planted too late in the season, bunnies ate them. I'm done with excuses, I literally suck at gardening. I should be thankful my kids have thrived! Lol!

tomatoes are doing great, as are the jalapeño peppers and various herbs. string beans were a bust, and most of our bell peppers mysteriously started to shrivel up the other day - we were wondering if we've had too much rain lately ???

Got a hundred pound s or so of red potatoes.
Loads of green beans...canned 36 quarts
Hundreds of squash and zucchini - froze 24 quarts and made a dozen half pints of squash relish
Made kosher dill pickles-12 pints
Froze 20 quarts of corn and made 8 pints of corn relish and canned 12 quarts
Still getting some tomatoes everyday and I put up 12 half pints of tomatoe relish and 12 quarts of salsa
Tons of jalapeño - made 12 half pints of jalapeño o jelly so far (so good on cream cheese)
28 quarts of purple hull peas frozen So far
Still getting tomatoes, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, purple hull peas, cayenne peppers
Picked first cantaloupe today
Watermelons and zipper peas not quite ready

We have given away as much as we have kept.

My husband does the picking and I do the canning.

Our garden is not that big but my husband does have a green thumb

So far we have gotten ton of string beans 16 cucumbers and 1 tomato. Hopefully tomatoes will start to ripen.
Our herbs and tomato plants are growing strong, but most of our little flowers have died due to the intense sun.

Surprisingly well. I started out small, since this is my first garden. All of my herbs (Rosemary, basil, mint and cilantro.) are booming. I also have a good bit of corn and cucumbers coming up. The only thing not growing is the tomatoes, which is what I was really hoping to have.

Chicagoland. Tomatoes are green (about 7) - lots of flowers, though. Have gotten quite a lot of banana peppers and green beans. 2 zucchini. 1 head of broccoli and 1 of cauliflower (sort of -- they started buttoning).

Lots of flowers on the cucumber plants, no cucumbers even forming yet. Sigh.

Raspberry bushes have really produced this year, though -- over 3 gallon sized bags frozen. Herbs are still alive, so that's something (rosemary, oregano, basil and parsley), and I've actually remembered to use them.

Kale and collards going great for the last month. Broccoli and beans have come on strong the last 2 weeks. Lots of green tomatoes. Zucchini and squash are slow this year for southern Wisconsin.

Hundreds of squash and zucchini - froze 24 quarts and made a dozen half pints of squash relish
Still getting some tomatoes everyday and I put up 12 half pints of tomatoe relish and 12 quarts of salsa
Tons of jalapeño - made 12 half pints of jalapeño o jelly so far (so good on cream cheese)
Still getting tomatoes, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, purple hull peas, cayenne peppers

That is amazing! Please tell me your secret. How large is your garden?

How do you all keep out the critters? Even when I do get some tomatoes something is getting to them. I'm thinking bunnies or deer. I have tried human hair around the perimeter. It didn't work. At this point I'm wondering if a mesh fence is the only way.

YOWSA! I hope to have a large garden one of these days. Do you can with boiling the water like the old days?

Right now here in the burbs my cherry tomatoes are producing. I planted a bunch of varieties a few yrs ago and they come back every yr., lol.

How do you all keep out the critters? Even when I do get some tomatoes something is getting to them. I'm thinking bunnies or deer. I have tried human hair around the perimeter. It didn't work. At this point I'm wondering if a mesh fence is the only way.

If you have deer you have to fence it. They do make "deer fences" if you want to have a large garden as well.

Almost everything's drowning. We've had so much rain!

Some of my flowers have literally rotted on the stem.

However, we're far enough north that the tomatoes are just now making flowers, and I've got them tied up well, so the fact that they got too tall and the bottom leaves mildewed, shouldn't impact the fruit too much (assuming it stops raining!).

And the raspberries don't care. They're busy trying to figure out how to take over my yard. Really aggressive plants - if it weren't for the fact that they're also tasty, I'd consider them a weed.

I'm not growing much else this year, because I got tired of fighting with the bunnies, squirrels, skunks, raccoons and groundhogs. However, I have a neighbour who likes to do her veggie gardening in abandoned lots, so I'm going to offer her my yard, if she wants it. (Fences are an absolute necessity, here.)

*sigh* The fruit trees are doing their thing. But pretty much everything else is a bust. I don't think we had enough bees to pollinate anything. :(

I have a deer fence, which pretty much keeps the deer out. Until the end of last season when they crashed through it. Everything was pretty much done by then anyway. It does not keep out the groundhogs which will eat everything in site overnight. We've watched them just picked it up and walk right under, no matter how many places I stake it into the ground. They've been relocated last year and again this past weekend. Hoping what they didn't eat will start growing.....

When we moved in there were plants all along the sidewalk side of our house. We do absolutely nothing and it's blooming like crazy. There's some low plants with green and white/light green leaves. We have huge pink flowers blooming on something (maybe chrysanthemums) and a green bushy thing.

I have a black thumb when it comes to indoor plants so it's ironic that the outdoor stuff is doing so well.

You may be surprised to read this, but I don't garden. Not outside, not inside. I simply can't grow things; I'm like Death to plants. No garden for this guy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter