How is San Angel Inn?

ToyStory3

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking of making reservations here for our upcoming trip. I love the theming when I go inside. It always looks so beautiful. How is the food?

I've always enjoyed the food here. The atmosphere is nice and relaxing. Great break from the rush and heat outdoors. Flavors are great.

Our Ratings of San Angel Inn Restaurante: (*rev 11/14/2013*)
. . . food price value: D
. . . food quality: B
. . . food quantity per serving: B
. . . food prep speed: C
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: C
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: A
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: D
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE1: Eatery inside the Mexico pavilion serving lunch and dinner. As with many WDW
restaurants, the price is pretty steep for the food quality and quantity. Ambiance of the
restaurant is quiet and serene, which cannot be found in most WDW establishments. The
view of the "river" and the overhead "sky" makes for an enjoyable meal. The Mexican food
is not too Americanized; good for the South-of-the-Border food enthusiast. The lunch and
dinner soups, entrées, desserts, chef specials are the pretty much the same. There are few
differences in the traditional Mexican lunch & dinner meals. As with other eateries at WDW,
the meal portions are ample enough for even big eaters. Per Disney, eatery is the only one
in Mexico to officially honor the TIW card. With all this "good", too bad service is weak.

NOTE2: Of all the Epcot eateries, San Angel is probably the most authentic tasting of the
country being represented. The menu items listed as "Traditional Mexican Dinner" are very
close to real Mexico. The ambiance is arguably the best in the WDW World Showcase, with
the ceiling "night sky" and the overview of the "river".

We've never really cared for SAI. The tables are just way too close together and the food just so so.

Their food and service was terrible when I went with a friend last year.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We went to the NEW sitdown in Mexico that overlooked World Showcase Lagoon.

The food was awesome. We ordered one of the combination platters for two and it was very filling, and tasty. Our neighbors ordered the other combo platter with seafood and they loved theirs as well.

The décor was very nice. Some of the tables have very good views of the lagoon.

I've read a lot of poor reviews of SAI over the years.

The San Angel Inn is always one of the highlights of my trip to Disney. To me, everything about the Mexico Pavilion just IS Epcot World Showcase to me. It's probably the signature country for me, actually.

I think the food is out of this world actually. Love it. Usually get a couple of appetizers with my entree, and a few delicious margaritas too. I get to try out my Spanish with the waiter and soak in the stunning atmosphere. Wouldn't miss it!

I've always meant to try the other restaurant - La Hacienda de San Angel, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

We do San Angel every trip. Nothing beats the atmosphere. It's truly unique and magical. That being said though, the food has been hit or miss. We just dined there a little over a week ago and the food was so so. Definitely not worth the price tag. But, we went there last summer and the food was one of the highlights of our trip. Either way, I'll keep going back for the experience.

The atmosphere is great, the food is usually on the mark. I suggest avoiding the lunch or dinner rush and make a late lunch/early dinner reservation ...as others have mentioned, the tables can be fairly close which can take away a little bit. Ask for a table by the water...

We have tried it many times and never had a bad meal. It is dark and the tables are close together but we don't mind. It has a nice atmosphere.

I think San Angel Inn has improved in the last several years. from its low point back several years ago. Many of the negative reviews stem from that period.
We went a few years ago and I almost cancelled my ADR several times because of bad reviews here. But we went and it was the absolute surprise of our trip. We loved it.
You need to know, though, that the food is not the Americanized Tex/Mex we eat at chain Mexican Restaurants in the US. It is true Mexican. You won't find the tacos, burritos, fajita's and chimichangas, etc on the menu
Enjoy

I took my 4-year old there last Fall and the food was ok. The margarita was delicious! The theming totally made up for the food. I would definitely go back again just for the experience.

IDK if it was just a fluke, but I got the best steak there this past Sept that I have eaten in all of WDW

We ate there in September and enjoyed it. Would go back. I did learn something, though. We were seated against the wall that abuts the marketplace. I let my DH have the view of the pyramid, so my view was of...the wall, hmph. What I didn't realize when we sat down was that every 30-60 seconds, a guest will walk up to the wall and take a flash photo of the pyramid. Right. In. My. Eyes. Had we been 10' to the right or left, no big deal, but the picture takers would stand right above my DH's head. Irritating when you're dropping $50 pp for a meal.

We have been very impressed by both sit down places in Mexico, they are run by the same people. It is quite dark in San Angel so we bring a tiny pocket flashlight to help us read the menu.

IDK if it was just a fluke, but I got the best steak there this past Sept that I have eaten in all of WDW

I saw a review on the steak (is it the carne asada, I think?) and it looked absolutely incredible! I'm not a huge beef person but have been craving steak lately and that looks delicious. The steak looks pretty big too!

We like the food. It is not great Mexican food. It is more tex mex type. I feel like the food has really declined over the years at all Disney restaurants. I think they have to find a way to serve a lot of food really fast and this definitely hurts the end product. For example, the rice and beans seem to come straight from a can. But, the view from the table is really nice and my family feels like it adds to the experience.

We like to eat here for lunch to save a couple bucks if self pay. If you are on the dinning plan it doesn't matter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter