How is SWGE for the original SW movies fan?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
My father will be celebrating his 50th birthday next year. He is a huge star wars fan. But he is a fan of the originals and prequels. He also has read I don't know how many of the books as well.
We want to do some fun stuff for his Bday at DLR particularly SW related, but if SWGE really caters to the later movies we will avoid it. He was seriously disappointed in the newest movies so we are trying to gauge if it is worth getting him hyped up for SWGE or not.

You lost me at “fan of the prequels.”

:rotfl2:

It does skew towards the new movies in terms of the fact that it’s Rey and Kylo Ren walking around, and the ships are the newer series and all of that. Certainly a number of people here have indicated that they don’t like that.

But Chewbacca is there and the Falcon is there and it just generally feels like “Star Wars” to me. I wouldn’t get him “hyped up,” but I’d get a Cantina reservation and check it out for sure!

There's a life size X-Wing, Awing and Millenium Falcon. The Millenium Falcon queue (the attraction) should be great for a original series Star Wars fan.

The land itself is really independent of the movies from what I can tell.

Yes, there is a LOT of stuff from the new movies, but there is also a lot of stuff for the originals as well.

I also love the Prequels, and the new movies too. I know that one character in the Smuggler's Run ride is from the Clone Wars cartoon, so if he likes that I bet he will still enjoy it. It seems like they have done a good job of representing all eras, which is nice.

There's a life size X-Wing, Awing and Millenium Falcon. The Millenium Falcon queue (the attraction) should be great for a original series Star Wars fan.

The land itself is really independent of the movies from what I can tell.

Yes, there is a LOT of stuff from the new movies, but there is also a lot of stuff for the originals as well.

Both X-Wings are T-70's (new movies, Poe's and a Blue Squadron) though, not T-65's (originals)...

You lost me at “fan of the prequels.”

:rotfl2:

It does skew towards the new movies in terms of the fact that it’s Rey and Kylo Ren walking around, and the ships are the newer series and all of that. Certainly a number of people here have indicated that they don’t like that.

But Chewbacca is there and the Falcon is there and it just generally feels like “Star Wars” to me. I wouldn’t get him “hyped up,” but I’d get a Cantina reservation and check it out for sure!
As a big fan of the original trilogy, I agree with all of this. Plus there’s a working R2D2 and from what I hear the light saber build experience at Savi’s is ultimate for original Star Wars fans.

I have never understood the hate for the prequels....and the box office reflected they were massive successes as well. I thought they were great, especially the 3rd one which I consider the second best of all 8 movies! (BTW, Im 53)

I think just seeing the Falcon and going in the Cantina would make him pretty happy! I prefer the original trilogy, but enjoy all the movies. And those were the highlights to me! Stepping into the Falcon and getting to pilot was a dream come true! Having a drink in the Cantina, also a dream come true!

Your father sounds like me. I was extremely disappointed in the sequels but am a huge og and prequels fan. Personally I loved the land, there’s blue milk, the Falcon, droids, and stormtroopers. My dad hates the sequels more than me (is that possible?) but was very happy in the land.

My husband sounds like your dad and he was let down overall. He's enjoyed the falcon ride somewhat, and liked being in the chess room, the hallways, and the cockpit, but he HATED the mission/storyline. He missed hearing SW music (there is no music in the land). He's didn't likes any merchandise enough to buy it (this is a HUGE deal, as he is a major collector). The one thing he wanted was sold out.

He walked away wishing the land had been themed much, much differently. He doesn't hate the new movies, but as he said many times in the land, "That's not my X wing. That's not my tie fighter. That's not my Star Wars."

I felt really bad. I got the reservation for Father's Day because I thought it would be really special and it just fell flat in most ways. Being shut out of the Cantina was a huge bummer, and at least now we can make a reservation to see it. But I wouldn't plan anything super specific for a huge, older fan. Check out the land and just let his impressions unfold naturally.

I think a lot depends on how they view the movies. If the Original Trilogy is the only one they accept, and they are angry at the others, then maybe that will carry over in SWGE. I LOVE the original trilogy. Not so much the prequels and the sequels are just OK. BUT, I LOVED SWGE. It felt like Star Wars to me. I don't carry my movie opinions over to a theme park land.

I’m also a huge old timer OT fanatic and I loved everything about SWGE. I had no prior expectations that the land would be themed for my personal taste and I enjoyed what it offered for both myself and the entire family. That’s the beauty about DLR, if there’s something that doesn’t exactly meet your personal preference, there’s a lot of other things to enjoy in such close proximity.

As a big fan of the original trilogy, I agree with all of this. Plus there’s a working R2D2 and from what I hear the light saber build experience at Savi’s is ultimate for original Star Wars fans.

So what is so special about THIS light saber experience as opposed to the one at the star trader?

The saber is $200 for one.
Secondly, it has a storyline, and you make your unique saber with other people. I saw a video of it, and it's kind of cool, but I'm not going to spend $200 on a light saber.

I have never understood the hate for the prequels....and the box office reflected they were massive successes as well. I thought they were great, especially the 3rd one which I consider the second best of all 8 movies! (BTW, Im 53)

Revenge of the Sith is high up there for me as well. I just love Star Wars and I honestly miss the world building of the Prequels.

I'm not a huge fan of the prequels as a package, but each movie has its moments and I actually actively love ROTS. I love all things SW, but there are definitely some facets I enjoy more than others.

My husband sounds like your dad and he was let down overall. He's enjoyed the falcon ride somewhat, and liked being in the chess room, the hallways, and the cockpit, but he HATED the mission/storyline. He missed hearing SW music (there is no music in the land). He's didn't likes any merchandise enough to buy it (this is a HUGE deal, as he is a major collector). The one thing he wanted was sold out.

He walked away wishing the land had been themed much, much differently. He doesn't hate the new movies, but as he said many times in the land, "That's not my X wing. That's not my tie fighter. That's not my Star Wars."

I felt really bad. I got the reservation for Father's Day because I thought it would be really special and it just fell flat in most ways. Being shut out of the Cantina was a huge bummer, and at least now we can make a reservation to see it. But I wouldn't plan anything super specific for a huge, older fan. Check out the land and just let his impressions unfold naturally.

Your husband sounds kinda grumpy, tbh. I'm always a little miffed when people start taking ownership of a thing that millions of people enjoy, if I'm being honest. SW is for everyone and there are enough characters/ships/etc. for there to be something for everyone.

I bet he would have enjoyed Savi's and the cantina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter