How is the DAS working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious to see how the DAS is working for everyone since there are some negative stories on other threads about FP+.
. . . from most CM talks/discussions/rumors, it seems to be A LOT better than GAC
. . . the talk is that the amount of line-cutters is way down
. . . with GAC, there was so much abuse that line-cutters is the best phase to use
. . . this now seems to be far better for WDW and for other guests
. . . and with little inconvenience to those needing access

There are reports of very long FP+ lines snaking outside of the attraction buildings.
. . . FP lines are longer due to FP+, and no other reason(s)

I don't see how the DAS is helpful if you have to wait 30 mins or more in a very crowded FP+ line. Any experience with this?
. . . it does give the DAS-holder return times, instead of stand-by line times
. . . this might be a problem, but one without a solution
. . . ADA mandates the granting of ACCESS to rides, not accommodations like shorter wait-times
. . . one guests should not be able to have less wait-times than others if paying the same
. . . to allow guests to go ahead of other guests would be more EXCESS than ACCESS
. . . if one wants faster access, they can always get a VIP Tour Guide

This was a concern of mine as well. We haven't used the DAS card yet, but used the GAC in the past. From the sounds of it, we won't be doing many rides on this trip if we'll have to stand in the FP+ line.

We love WDW, but given both mine and my son's conditions, we're pretty certain this will be our last trip for quite some time. I don't fully blame Disney. Clearly, the GAC was getting abused by people, but at the same time, given the ridiculous lines being reported often with FP+, they really should have done something different for those using the DAS card.

We just returned and had a great experience with DAS and F P+. Even got to ride TSM 4 or 5 Times in one day. Used WC return cards as well for rides like IaSW and Peter Pan. No issues getting the DAS at magic kingdom. Any questions , please feel free to ask :). I'm in the post disney blues currently and would love to yammer on and on!!

I'm just curious to see how the DAS is working for everyone since there are some negative stories on other threads about FP+.
. . . from most CM talks/discussions/rumors, it seems to be A LOT better than GAC
. . . the talk is that the amount of line-cutters is way down
. . . with GAC, there was so much abuse that line-cutters is the best phase to use
. . . this now seems to be far better for WDW and for other guests
. . . and with little inconvenience to those needing access

There are reports of very long FP+ lines snaking outside of the attraction buildings.
. . . FP lines are longer due to FP+, and no other reason(s)

I don't see how the DAS is helpful if you have to wait 30 mins or more in a very crowded FP+ line. Any experience with this?
. . . it does give the DAS-holder return times, instead of stand-by line times
. . . this might be a problem, but one without a solution
. . . ADA mandates the granting of ACCESS to rides, not accommodations like shorter wait-times
. . . one guests should not be able to have less wait-times than others if paying the same
. . . to allow guests to go ahead of other guests would be more EXCESS than ACCESS
. . . if one wants faster access, they can always get a VIP Tour Guide

When FP+ lines are more than 10 minutes it is a disadvantage to the person using the DAS because you have a longer wait than other guests. Also a crowded line is the reason for me not to go through the standby line. If the FP line is crowded then it kind of defeats the purpose of the DAS for me.
I will not say that DAS is not an inconvenience. In some ways it can be. That said some of it is unique to my situation because I do not ride a lot of rides. I am disappointed that even with DAS I will not be able to ride Pirates of the Caribbean because I have no one to push and manual wheelchair for me and they will not deal with my power wheelchair. FP+ for me is problematic as I do not get the schedule for interpreting until the Wednesday prior to my trip. That gives me 5 days before my trip to try to fit the FP+ times to mesh with the interpreter schedule and there is no flexibility in FP+. If I miss my time too bad OOL. At least with DAS it is an open ended time frame and I can come back after the interpreted show if the FP line is too slow.

When FP+ lines are more than 10 minutes it is a disadvantage to the person using the DAS because you have a longer wait than other guests.

I agree that the potential is there for someone with a DAS to wait longer than someone in the standby line. However, I believe that is far outweighed by the fact that the DAS user can actually do other things while waiting, such as ride other rides, see shows, eat, rest, etc., whereas the person waiting in the standby line is just waiting.

Not to mention the fact that by getting the DAS, the user is signing and acknowledging that he or she might have to wait longer.

Not to mention the fact that by getting the DAS, the user is signing and acknowledging that he or she might have to wait longer.

Acknowledging that it may happen does not mean it is not a disadvantage. And being able to do something else while it may seem to you an advantage it is not for me as there are few rides I can do, shows I go to are on a specific schedule so I cannot just drop into a show and I already have enough Disney souvenirs filling my house.

Acknowledging that it may happen does not mean it is not a disadvantage.

Agreed - the question is whether the advantage of not having to wait in the actual line outweighs the potential disadvantage of having to wait longer than the standby time. If one doesn't feel that the advantage outweighs the possible disadvantage, then one doesn't have to use the DAS, and can wait in the standby line.

Thanks for the replies. With my DS entering high school next year our vacations during slow times can no longer happen. We are now limited to the crowded times during summer and holidays. From the reports of much longer and crowded fp+ lines then the DAS does defeat the purpose for those who have problems in crowded lines. It makes me very nervous to plan a trip now not knowing what to expect.

I'm just curious to see how the DAS is working for everyone since there are some negative stories on other threads about FP+. There are reports of very long fp+ lines snaking outside of the attraction buildings. I don't see how the DAS is helpful if you have to wait 30 mins or more in a very crowded fp+ line. Any experience with this? Thanks

This is where planning becomes so important. Knowing which park will be more vs less crowded each day can make the difference between a 5 minute vs 30 minute wait in the FP line. Also knowing the best times of the day to go to attractions can make a huge difference in the length of both the standby and FP lines. Relying on the DAS entirely will not meet the needs of many people. It's important to help yourself as much as you can and use the DAS as a support tool rather than the only tool. We actually didn't end up using our DAS even once because between a strong itinerary and touring plans coupled with FP+ we never waited in a queue more than 10 minutes, even Soarin' where you can sometimes wait 30+ minutes in the FP line (we rode with a FP, not DAS). Planning really can do so much more than any other tool.

If we were offsite (not eligible to pre-book FP+) then I do think that we could have used the DAS as a very viable alternative. We didn't end up using all of our FPs that had been booked because queues were so short and for the ones where we did use them, there were other things we were doing in the same area so one of us could have run over for a return time and had the DAS work as a good alternative. Those FP+ sign-up queues were often longer than the queues we were trying to avoid so signing up for FP+ in the park just wouldn't have worked, but as I said, the DAS would have covered the few FPs we did end up using.

I work in health care I understand HIPPA I was just surprised I guess after the changes I wasn't prepared to get into it. Part may have been he was newly dx before Xmas so we were still raw from that in itself. I don't mind talking about it I've been at the special needs/medically fragile parenting gig 9 years now. I tho feel like not having abused it that it's crappy that kids that do need it have to justify it to a non medical person. I have 2 other totally typical boys I know 3 is busy; Ali is past busy, past loud of 3 years old and we are working on all of it but we have LOTS of stimming behaviors that aren't being 3.

Nobody is asking you to justify your need. I think this is where you're having so much trouble. You're being asked to explain what your need is so that the CM can offer you the accommodation that will best help your family. This is nothing like justification.

Acknowledging that it may happen does not mean it is not a disadvantage. And being able to do something else while it may seem to you an advantage it is not for me as there are few rides I can do, shows I go to are on a specific schedule so I cannot just drop into a show and I already have enough Disney souvenirs filling my house.

If wait time is the issue, and the FP return line seems long, then why not go through the regular queue? If the issue is not going though the standard queue, then wait time is not the issue. Either way, you are accommodated by being able to access the ride. There is also the option of using FP and saving your DAS until the FP return seems shorter.

One alternative could be they give out DAS return times for estimated standby queue wait minus 20 minutes, but then you'd be directed to the standard queue if the standby time is 20 minutes or less. Somehow I think the current 10 minute standard is better.

I work in health care I understand HIPPA I was just surprised I guess after the changes I wasn't prepared to get into it. Part may have been he was newly dx before Xmas so we were still raw from that in itself. I don't mind talking about it I've been at the special needs/medically fragile parenting gig 9 years now. I tho feel like not having abused it that it's crappy that kids that do need it have to justify it to a non medical person. I have 2 other totally typical boys I know 3 is busy; Ali is past busy, past loud of 3 years old and we are working on all of it but we have LOTS of stimming behaviors that aren't being 3.

It's HIPAA. It sounds like your older son's issue are mobility related, so expect Disney to suggest a wheelchair or other mobility device rather than issue a second DAS.

If wait time is the issue, and the FP return line seems long, then why not go through the regular queue? If the issue is not going though the standard queue, then wait time is not the issue. Either way, you are accommodated by being able to access the ride. There is also the option of using FP and saving your DAS until the FP return seems shorter.

One alternative could be they give out DAS return times for estimated standby queue wait minus 20 minutes, but then you'd be directed to the standard queue if the standby time is 20 minutes or less. Somehow I think the current 10 minute standard is better.

The DAS time also doesn't expire so a holder could continue to do other things until the FP line is shorter.

This is where planning becomes so important. Knowing which park will be more vs less crowded each day can make the difference between a 5 minute vs 30 minute wait in the FP line. Also knowing the best times of the day to go to attractions can make a huge difference in the length of both the standby and FP lines. Relying on the DAS entirely will not meet the needs of many people. It's important to help yourself as much as you can and use the DAS as a support tool rather than the only tool. We actually didn't end up using our DAS even once because between a strong itinerary and touring plans coupled with FP+ we never waited in a queue more than 10 minutes, even Soarin' where you can sometimes wait 30+ minutes in the FP line (we rode with a FP, not DAS). Planning really can do so much more than any other tool.

If we were offsite (not eligible to pre-book FP+) then I do think that we could have used the DAS as a very viable alternative. We didn't end up using all of our FPs that had been booked because queues were so short and for the ones where we did use them, there were other things we were doing in the same area so one of us could have run over for a return time and had the DAS work as a good alternative. Those FP+ sign-up queues were often longer than the queues we were trying to avoid so signing up for FP+ in the park just wouldn't have worked, but as I said, the DAS would have covered the few FPs we did end up using.

Nobody is asking you to justify your need. I think this is where you're having so much trouble. You're being asked to explain what your need is so that the CM can offer you the accommodation that will best help your family. This is nothing like justification.

This is our experience as well. :thumbsup2

We utilized FP+ (which we like because we can control and change the times/experiences), early and late hours which were less crowded, scheduling meal time strategically for resting and in proximity to our plan (we prefer table service for total recharging or packing lunch & finding a quiet relaxing spot) and keeping tabs on the MDE app for wait times to we can save energy/time by hitting rides with shorter wait times. Sometimes we would pass or see on MDE a ride we have a FP+ for with a short time. We would ride with the shorter SB line and while in line change our FP+ for another one. We planned yet remained very flexible so we could adjust for whatever our needs might be at that moment.

We went 20 years with no GAC, just handling any issues on our own. For the last 10 years we needed a GAC. Went last fall just before the end of GAC and part of FP+ early program. We intentionally tried to not use the GAC being we had no idea what the DAS would be - to practice. With FP+ we only used the GAC 4 times over 12 days in the parks. Our last more recent trip we had the DAS. We had to speak to 2 Guest Relations folks since the first had a mistake on the date (always look before you leave) and will say both experiences the Guest Relations CM was courteous, helpful and we left with positive experiences. There was no negative energy or rude inquiries. In 6 days in the parks we only needed to use the DAS 10 times along with our FP+.

I was concerned when I learned there were changes coming to GAC, not sure how we would handle DS's issues. Both these trips I was alone with DS, an adult, so it was both physically and mentally challenging. On top of all else we can ONLY use the companion bathrooms, an issue in itself. Yes it takes more planning than the old system but we have absolutely no issues with the new system. We use that "waiting" time for bathroom breaks, meal breaks, quiet bench & snack breaks, FP+ attraction or an attraction with a shorter SB line.

The DAS time also doesn't expire so a holder could continue to do other things until the FP line is shorter.

That's what I was trying to say. Although I suspect that her response is likely to be that is an unfair disadvantage because it further increases the total time between getting the return time and getting on a ride and prevents one from obtaining another DAS for another "shortened" wait. I've realized that there is a fundamental difference in opinion over what the DAS does and should accomplish.

I've realized that there is a fundamental difference in opinion over what the DAS does and should accomplish.
To be fair, there are also fundamental differences in needs, and the DAS is a one-size-fits-all program.

Overall it seems that the DAS is working well but I am hopeful that it can be incorporated into the FastPass+ system so that it can be handled more privately.

To be fair, there are also fundamental differences in needs, and the DAS is a one-size-fits-all program.

Overall it seems that the DAS is working well but I am hopeful that it can be incorporated into the FastPass+ system so that it can be handled more privately.

Bolding mine, because I have a specific question about the privacy issue, as I've seen many complain about it.

Guests had to explain their needs previously in order to get the GAC, no? I know that the times we used it, we had to. I'm confused as to why it was no issue to explain needs with the GAC, yet so many don't seem happy about having to explain needs with the DAS.

Bolding mine, because I have a specific question about the privacy issue, as I've seen many complain about it.

Guests had to explain their needs previously in order to get the GAC, no? I know that the times we used it, we had to. I'm confused as to why it was no issue to explain needs with the GAC, yet so many don't seem happy about having to explain needs with the DAS.

The GAC had specific stamps, like avoid stairs, visual impairment or the golden ticket arrow stamp, that the attraction CMs used to interpret how to accommodate guests. Now with the DAS, if someone needs something other than a return time so that they can wait outside of the queue, they need to tell the CMs at each attraction. So I can understand it may be frustrating and tedious for a first time guest to go to each attraction and explain that they need to avoid stairs without even knowing if that attraction has stairs at all. Or there may be some social anxiety for someone who is visually impaired to have to explain that they need a certain seat at each show without knowing 100% how the CM will react. But I too don't understand the privacy concern with explaining to guest services why you or your child need an alternate to physically going through an otherwise accessible queue. I do understand that the end result of the discussion is not going to be what people want, which is an unlimited FOTL pass like it was with the GAC. But really, how do they expect to have their needs met if they can't articulate their actual needs.

The GAC had specific stamps, like avoid stairs, visual impairment or the golden ticket arrow stamp, that the attraction CMs used to interpret how to accommodate guests. Now with the DAS, if someone needs something other than a return time so that they can wait outside of the queue, they need to tell the CMs at each attraction. So I can understand it may be frustrating and tedious for a first time guest to go to each attraction and explain that they need to avoid stairs without even knowing if that attraction has stairs at all. Or there may be some social anxiety for someone who is visually impaired to have to explain that they need a certain seat at each show without knowing 100% how the CM will react. But I too don't understand the privacy concern with explaining to guest services why you or your child need an alternate to physically going through an otherwise accessible queue. I do understand that the end result of the discussion is not going to be what people want, which is an unlimited FOTL pass like it was with the GAC. But really, how do they expect to have their needs met if they can't articulate their actual needs.

I'll have to disagree the GAC was never a FOTL pass for our family. It was an FP, plain and simple. It allowed my DH which has issues with crowded lines an opportunity to wait in the FP line which was less crowded and faster moving. In all of the years using the GAC we never got immediate access to a ride. I'm not concerned with the DAS about waiting our turn, I am concerned about my DH being in a crowded area which he cannot exit and return if needed.

I'll have to disagree the GAC was never a FOTL pass for our family. It was an FP, plain and simple. It allowed my DH which has issues with crowded lines an opportunity to wait in the FP line which was less crowded and faster moving. In all of the years using the GAC we never got immediate access to a ride. I'm not concerned with the DAS about waiting our turn, I am concerned about my DH being in a crowded area which he cannot exit and return if needed.

It's a misnomer. No one thinks you were escorted to the next available ride vehicle. It's just faster than saying 'allowed into the FP line subsequently skipping 3/4+ the wait time that non GAC guests experienced.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter