• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How is VWL?

CTdvcfan

Earning My Ears
Is VWL the new Villas at Widerness Lodge? How does it compare to OKW experience? Is VWL quiet? OKW is our home resort. We like the fun of BWV better than OKW, and like the water access to the Parks at BWV. Appreciate any feedback.:rolleyes:

VWL - Villas at Wilderness Lodge, yes.

I can't compare just yet. Heading to OKW in two weeks. But we stayed at VWL for a few nights in March and loved it. It's just beautiful, of course, and we did use the boat access to MK quite a few times. It runs pretty regularly and is a pleasant ride. I found it quiet there, but it was a quiet week to visit (just prior to spring break.)

I am an OKW member since 94 and BWV since 98. We stayed at VWL over Labor Day, and I loved it! It is not as quiet as OKW, but it's definitely quieter than BW. I preferred it to BW, actually. We were on the 5th floor facing the lake (through the pine trees). I enjoyed using the boat to the Contemporary and MK. Artist Point is wonderful for dinner and just sitting in the lobby is so nice! We went out to the pier after dinner to watch the fireworks; we couldn't see all - just the tallest ones. I didn't use the bus service, since we rented a car. Parking was much easier to use - either self or valet - than Boardwalk. I really loved VWL and would buy more points if I were not already point-poor!

It was our first stay at OKW, our home resort. We liked OKW, but loved VWL. There was absolutely nothing wrong with OKW, the room was immaculate, the grounds were well maintained. It's just that we decided that we enjoy the "resort" feel when on vacation. At VWL, you basically share the benefits of the main lodge. ;)

Our home is VWL, but last summer we spent a few days at OKW before going to VWL. I'm very happy we bought at VWL, though OKW has its good points. We really enjoyed getting off the bus at HH and walking back to our unit. OKW is sooooo pretty at night. And so blessedly quiet after the chaos at the parks!!!! And one morning I went out to our patio and shared the space with a Disney bunny who came for a visit. Maybe if we had had something other than a studio we would have liked OKW better, but we were really glad to get to VWL. The theming there is so spectacular (ties easily, IMHO, with AKL), and it's almost as quiet as OKW. We appreciated the boats to and from MK, and found the buses to be more than adequate. We also had a rental car and used it to have dinner at AKL, go to DD, etc. And we used our refillable mugs from the last trip, which saved some $$$. DH and I had a quiet glass of wine in the lounge one night, and the family had a rousing breakfast in WCC one morning. We rented bikes one morning, rode them to the campground, and did the petting zoo, etc. We truly LOVE our home resort....

Our home resort is VWL. We decided to have a two-centre holiday in July and stay at both. We opted for OKW the first week and save our first trip home for the second week. I loved OKW, it was so peaceful and tranquil and I thought that the rooms were absolutely gorgeous. We stayed in building 55 and were so close to the resort centre. This was our first trip since buying DVC and I thought it was a wonderful resort and decided that it was the best purchase I had ever made. I would say the only down side of OKW was the refillable mug programme. We have a 6 year old who drinks constantly, especially with the July heat, and have always taken advantage of the refillable mugs at other resorts when visiting in the past and was disappointed that there was no free refills.

Then we went to VWL for the second half of the holiday. I was absolutely speechless. It is such an outstanding resort. The location, the atmosphere, and what can I say, the villas were beautiful, though I have to say that the rooms in OKW were bigger, but the kitchen area in the VWL is a bit bigger and appreciated the bit more worktop space when preparing breakfast and lunches! Obviously, VWL does the free refills with your mugs so that pleased me no end. This was the first time we had used anything other than the bus services in Disney, and the ferry to the MK was excellent. We never had to wait long, and it was great fun in itself! We also hired a boat and went for a trip round Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon.

I am very bias now and love VWL and I am so glad that it is my home resort. I will be back at OKW in years to come, because it has such character in itself. VWL made my holiday magical. I spent hours wandering around the Lodge and Villas looking at the architecture and views.

Hope this is of some help to you!

Mary Kay

CBR 1998
ASMo 2000
OKW 2001
VWL 2001
BWV 2002 - can't wait !

OKW is our home resort and we really like it because of its relaxing atmosphere and large rooms relative to the other resorts. The quiet pool at Turtle Pond is great!

That being said, we stayed at 1 BR's at both BWV and VWL in August. They were both wonderful in their own way. BWV was great for the location - walking distance to both MGM and EPCOT and the excitement of the BW. VWL were great for the lodge atmosphere and restaurants. The health club there is well equipped and the quiet pool and main pool are outstanding. The refillable mugs are a definite "deal".

In conclusion, we plan to rotate among ALL of the DVC's. We have yet to try a DVC at WDW that we don't like. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter