How likely are MK hours to get extended?

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Currently they are listed as closing at 9 every night of our May 14-21 trip. Looking back the last several years, MK hasn't closed until 10:00 during May. So, is it reasonable to expect the hours will get extended this year, too? If so, when will they release the updated hours?

I’m going to guess Friday, April 12.

But yes, if history is a guide (always a tough statement to make with Disney), you have a reasonably good chance of seeing later MK hours for your dates.

Currently they are listed as closing at 9 every night of our May 14-21 trip. Looking back the last several years, MK hasn't closed until 10:00 during May. So, is it reasonable to expect the hours will get extended this year, too? If so, when will they release the updated hours?
I will also be there during that time! Eagerly watching for the hours to be extended as nighttime in the parks is my favorite time.

I don't know if I would expect them to extend the hours. In previous years, I would have said they likely would. But, we are here now with the crazy Spring break crowds and for the whole week, there is one night with 10-12p EMH at MK, and one night with 9-11p EMH at Epcot. Any other late nights are the ticketed After Hours parties. Mornings are similar, with the EMM events. It seems crazy to me that MK is basically 9a-10p every day. I think they will trend to shorter hours and more paid before/after hours events. I hope I am wrong!

I will also be there during that time! Eagerly watching for the hours to be extended as nighttime in the parks is my favorite time.

We only did two nights last time, but we loved them!!! The lights were so beautiful. And my kids love fireworks etc... So we plan to make the most of nights this time I think .

I don't know if I would expect them to extend the hours. In previous years, I would have said they likely would. But, we are here now with the crazy Spring break crowds and for the whole week, there is one night with 10-12p EMH at MK, and one night with 9-11p EMH at Epcot. Any other late nights are the ticketed After Hours parties. Mornings are similar, with the EMM events. It seems crazy to me that MK is basically 9a-10p every day. I think they will trend to shorter hours and more paid before/after hours events. I hope I am wrong!

MK is open 8am to midnight the week before Easter.

Sadly, I have to agree with this. It’s exactly what I’m expecting for my June trip.

Without starting a new thread, I'm interested in a similar question for 8/12-8/17. We want 2 MK days in that span, and have already decided Friday 8/16 to intentionally go for the full party day, without attending the first MNSSHP in the evening. I'm confused on where to put the other MK day, where having nighttime hours in this summer-heat week is a priority (along with catching HEA). As of now, we've opted for Wed 8/14 just to pickup the evening EMH and hopefully enjoy one 11 PM night, and fingers crossed it'll get extended to 12. While I know the other days may move later, I'm willing (for now) to risk the slightly higher crowds to get the night hours. Especially since we will likely make it a late/pool morning and start the day ~3 PM with FP+.

But interested if anyone has thoughts on other days that week getting bumped to 11 PM close as well, for us to avoid the EMH crowd swell and still meet our interests. I'm suspicious that last year's August hours (11 PM all week, 1 AM Wed EMH) may not be as good indicator as TSL was pretty fresh and perhaps those hours were going side-side with the constant increase in DHS hours for the same time frame.

I know it's all crystal ball guesses, but any insights would be appreciated!

The first week of May (last of April) got extended AK hours a week or so ago. No extended MK hours yet. I assumed that they were going to come out on the next round of updates but I looked at the DAH times and the starts for DAH in May are pegged at 9 pm. I assume they don't change those after people have started buying (maybe I'm wrong) so now I'm wondering if MK is going to have shorter hours in May than last year. It makes some sense given that it's a lower crowd time but would be a departure from previous years.

The first week of May (last of April) got extended AK hours a week or so ago. No extended MK hours yet. I assumed that they were going to come out on the next round of updates but I looked at the DAH times and the starts for DAH in May are pegged at 9 pm. I assume they don't change those after people have started buying (maybe I'm wrong) so now I'm wondering if MK is going to have shorter hours in May than last year. It makes some sense given that it's a lower crowd time but would be a departure from previous years.

Yeah, those MK DAH events were just announced overnight, so that's fresh info. The hours for the five DAH Thursdays at MK are posted as 9-12am. Historically, when DAH events are announced/tickets on sale, those event hours are "set" so regular park hours won't change for those dates.

Year-over-year regular open park hours have been trending down a bit, so this appears May could follow the same trend. TBD of course.

Yeah, those MK DAH events were just announced overnight, so that's fresh info. The hours for the five DAH Thursdays at MK are posted as 9-12am. Historically, when DAH events are announced/tickets on sale, those event hours are "set" so regular park hours won't change for those dates.

Year-over-year regular open park hours have been trending down a bit, so this appears May could follow the same trend. TBD of course.
So how does it work when MK hours go to 10pm and DAH starts at 9?

Edit: Actually decided I'm not going to be bothered by this. No longer bummed. :flower:

Kinda bummed to be honest. For my family it would be another $625 plus tax to (what feels like...) "purchase" PM EMH during our stay. We've already got park hoppers and there are the Wednesday evening EMH's but I suspect those will be especially crowded now with families like mine who can't swing the extra charge for lower crowds and some mickey bars. We'll still have a wonderful time for sure but I guess we'll be getting more sleep than we thought! Go figure.

Last edited:
So how does it work when MK hours go to 10pm and DAH starts at 9?

For those five May dates where DAH is not being offered from 9pm-12am, MK hours won't go to 10pm - they'll remain a 9pm closing.

If park hours for those days were going to be extended, they would have announced later DAH event times with today's opening of new dates.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah I was actually going to say that there aren't DAH days in May, went to go verify, and was surprised to find them (I remember people being on the look out for them but don't remember a post that they had arrived). But maybe that makes the point the poster I quoted was making. No DAH in May, 10 pm closings. DAH in May, 9 pm closings. Hopefully the non-DAH days will get extended. I guess we'll see.

Edit: Actually decided I'm not going to be bothered by this. No longer bummed. :flower:

Kinda bummed to be honest. For my family it would be another $625 plus tax to (what feels like...) "purchase" PM EMH during our stay. We've already got park hoppers and there are the Wednesday evening EMH's but I suspect those will be especially crowded now with families like mine who can't swing the extra charge for lower crowds and some mickey bars. We'll still have a wonderful time for sure but I guess we'll be getting more sleep than we thought! Go figure.

I hear you. That's what it would cost my family too. I can't justify it unless we were doing a 1 day trip (instead of a park ticket), which we are not. The mantra has always been that these DAH events don't hurt the park enjoyment for those who don't partake. Mostly that's true but if park hours continue to be whittled away so that these DAHs can be at an earlier (more desirable) time, then they are taking away from the experience of others.

I hear you. That's what it would cost my family too. I can't justify it unless we were doing a 1 day trip (instead of a park ticket), which we are not. The mantra has always been that these DAH events don't hurt the park enjoyment for those who don't partake. Mostly that's true but if park hours continue to be whittled away so that these DAHs can be at an earlier (more desirable) time, then they are taking away from the experience of others.

I hear you. With a few exceptions most of these DAH events to date have been at hours generally after whatever 'normal' park hours are in place during the time of year/season in question (that's a hard statement to peg down because MK hours are so variable, but I'm speaking in broad directional terms). These May dates are (in my opinion) the first that are a pretty blatant/bunched together departure from that trend. Last year, the four Thursdays in May had 10pm, 10pm, 10pm, and 11pm MK closings. In 2017 it was 10pm, 11pm, 10pm, 11pm.

I'm personally watching to see if the downward YTD regular park hour trend flip/flops come SWGE time, or if the 'whittling away' continues.

We will be there about the same time and wondered the same thing. My guess is they will extend the hours about a month before. Hopefully, they will, the extra hour at night does make a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter