how long a walk from bus/monorail?

aspalek

Earning My Ears
We are planning a trip to WDW in Sept. and my husband is still recovering from achilles tendon surgery. He can walk, but not all day. I'm trying to decide where to stay - i've visited WDW but not for 15 years so i can't remember things like how far it was to walk to the entrance of the Magic Kingdom from the monorail.
Or from where the bus stops.
It seems like just these distances could actually be very far. (we're trying to decide whether we need to rent an ECV for the entire time or just at the parks.)
I've read through lots of postings about ECVS and the pros and cons of renting, and about the buses,etc. but i haven't been able to find out about the distance you have to walk if you're trying to make it to to the rental location for ECVs/wheelchairs in the MK or Epcot. Any info would be appreciated!

-Anne

Possibly AKL or Poly Sept 2004

The bus drops you off at the gate if you go from the monorail you have to walk down the ramp which would be very painfull I would think.

We will STRONGLY advise renting an ECV from off-site. These rentals are better (more maneuverable) than those rented from Disney. They are available to you at all times (including Downtown Disney and all the minor parks) and some of the hotel corridors are very long.

Just as Disney charges $30 per day, the rentals are $30 or less per day; capping at under $200 for a week and prices drop for longer rentals.

It can be quite a hike from where transportation lets off to where ECVs or wheelchairs can be rented.

I just returned from WDW. I too debated before I left about renting an ECV from off-site or just at the parks. I am glad that I listened to advice here and rented for a whole week from Walker Mobility. I didn't have to worry about whether a ECV would be available at each park and the 3 wheel models are much easier to manuveur. We stayed at Pop and it would have been a long walk from the bus stop to the gates of each park. Once you get the hang of it, getting the ECV on and off the bus is easy. Also if you plan to go to Downtown Disney you would have an ECV. It is a lot of walking from store to store!:wave:

oh yes, for goodness sake, DO rent one off-site and use it to get TO the parks not just IN the parks!

The walks can be VERY long depending on how far away your resort's bus stop is from the gate (if you're at an economy or moderate resort, it's a HIKE and a half!). Monorail ramps are VERY steep and sometimes crowded, being on a scooter will also protect him somewhat from getting knocked around.

I also strongly suggest that he have the ECV your whole trip.

If he walks too far to start the day and ends up in pain, would really put a damper on your fun. it's just not worth it.

Esp. if you're going to have to use an ecv every day, makes much more sense to have it waiting for you at the resort! :) also, no long return lines after the fireworks!

have a great trip!
geek

thanks for the feedback about renting ecvs. we will definitely be renting from an offsite company!

Looks like you already made your decision.
Just wnated to say hi :wave:
and agree with everything that was said.
We just got back yesterday from WDW. Just the ramp up or down to the monorail station is about 100 feet and they are very steep. Once you get off the monorial ramp, you still have another 400 or more feet to get to the park turnstiles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter