how long are you willing to stand in a line?

I've wondered if it was just me, but I can manage to stand in lines for long times (100+ minutes).

What is your max time you would stand in a line for?
What rides would you be willing to stand in for that said time?

I stood in one line longer than 45 minutes before and that was for the old A&E meet and greet back in 2014. The marathon was going on that day so the wife and I took turns cheering on the runners and walking around to grab this snack or that snack and thank goodness we didn't have our daughter with us the entire time....she was back in the room until we called my mom to bring her over.

37 minutes :)

That's how long we stood in line for Soarin a few trips back. It has been our longest wait in all our trips. It's my fav ride so I made everyone wait. It was around 7pm after our dinner at Garden Grill.
The other one that seemed painfully long even with a FP+ was ETWB, it felt as long as the Soarin wait time.

90 minutes. Although I've done 120 several times.

It's called Easter Week.
Wow! We are planning the last 2 weeks of June next year and DH asked about considering Easter Week instead to avoid heat. I wonder crowd wise which is worse.

20 minutes tops, we have a 3.5yo and a 1.5yo so anything longer than that is a recipe for disaster. I spend a lot of time planning and playing around with tour plans before our trips to ensure we have short waits on all the rides. (it also helps that we avoid the big thrill rides)

20 minutes. We Rope Drop every day and do all of the headliners with little to no wait. Then we use FP's. Then we go to the resort until the evening when crowds thin out and then ride the lowest wait attractions.

This is one of those fascinating topics that I think is like the questions people ask random surveys - like "Have you ever stolen anything" and the survey reports that 99.9999% report they have never stolen and yet we are told that 1 out of every 3 have stolen something in their life or something like that. I.E. you get the feeling what people say in a survey is not reflective of what they do.

I say that because without vary, almost everyone on the boards will universally answer 20-40 minutes and guarantees that they will never wait over 40. And yet - there are lines that are over 60 / 90/ 120/ MORE. And sometimes the entire dang park is that way. So SOMEONE is waltzing past that line entrance going "hmmm. 120 minutes. That doesn't sound too bad!" and hoping in line. Either none of these people are on DISBoards OR people tend to understate on the board when they do in practice.

As for me? I used to wait about 60-70 minutes. Generally not longer (although I do remember standing in line for space mountain for 2 hours once - but that was 20+ years ago). Now that we are DVC members, we honestly pull fastpasses for anything we care about and anything else better be short or we will just catch it the next time around. However, that's only been the last few years. That said - whats short? I like to see under 30. Is that a hard cutoff? No. 35... sure. 40...? Depends. Longer? what's going on? How tired am I? When did I last see it? Do I care? Who is with me? if it's just DW and I - doubt it. If we are taking a friend and it's a headliner they really should see - I might wait it out.

I can't see doing 120 these days... too old.

I don’t think it’s surprising at all that most people on a Disney message board don’t wait more than about 20-25 minutes in a standby line. The people who are on Disney message boards (either here or elsewhere) are planners and/or researchers (that’s why they’re here!) so they know, for the most part, that if a ride has an unreasonable wait time (whatever that may be for them…45 minutes….60 minutes…whatever) there is probably a better time or way to ride that attraction. Do it at rope drop; do it at park close; get a FP for it; try it later in the day; etc.

My guess is that many of the people who are standing in those long lines (60+ minutes) fall into a few categories:

1. Don’t know how to use the FP system effectively or aren’t even using it at all because they think it costs money or aren’t comfortable with technology.

2. Haven’t done any research about Disney so they don’t know the benefits of FP, rope drop, and park close.

3. Spend a lot of time at other amusement parks and think there is no other option but to wait in a 2-hour line.

4. They couldn’t (for whatever reason) get a FP for the ride so they budgeted a few hours to wait in the standby line in the middle of the afternoon since many queues are air conditioned. I could understand off-site guests taking this option --- it’s easier than going back to their hotel/house, but still gives them an extended break in the a/c (though they’re standing the whole time)

I’m sure there are other reasons, but those were the ones that came to mind quickly. We don’t stand in lines over about 25 minutes because we use rope drop, FP, and late nights to our advantage. There’s no reason for us to stand in a long line. If the ride breaks down while we’re in the FP line and we can’t get a replacement/use-any-time FP for that ride, we’ll probably just stay put – especially if it’s in the a/c (we travel to Disney in late June).

At WDW?

Usually up to 45 minutes on busy days. If it's longer than that we usually skip it for shorter lines and come back. Everyone in this thread are right, there are plenty of ways to hit rides early or late and avoid long waits. But in busy times, when we are in a park all day, lines can get long for thrill rides and popular favorites. We usually ride most rides several times in a day, many parks don't have enough rides to go around....all 4 WDW aprks combined have roughly the same number of rides as the two DL parks we are used to.

We are commandos, we prefer to show up and enjoy a park and it';s rides and go with the flow than squeeze everything in in 2 hours and then leave.

I find it much easier to stand in a long line at Universal. They don't get so mad about food/drinks, and they even have food carts, selling beer, hard cider, drinks, and snacks, in the ride queues for some of the long line rides. It just makes things easier. It's hard to be angry when you are eating ice cream, drinking a beer, or having a tasty beverage:drinking1

A couple hours, if it's an attraction I really want to see. I'd maybe stand in a line with a posted 200 minute wait.

We were there when Anna and Elsa first became popular and they set up as make shift meet n greet in Norway back in early 2014......it aint pretty but our wait that day to see the girls was 5 hours. Yes 5 hours. In the rain. Hubby took the rest of the gang on rides, for lunch, while I stayed in line with my very patient 5 year old at the time. But....for anything else probable no more than an hour. Those 5 hours were filled with meeting new people from other countries, laughing at the absurd situation I was actually in and talking with my daughter about all kinds of things.

We just find long waits and fighting crowds miserable with our kids. We use fast pass, dessert parties, vip touring... Anything to avoid waits. So our max is maybe 10 min. It's not because we have a master touring plan though, we are just willing to pay.

30 minutes seems to be my breaking point. If it's over, I generally skip it unless it's a newer ride I've never been on.

I can personally handle longer lines for rides I love. Splash? I'd wait an hour. However, my 7 year old has pretty severe ADHD. She cannot handle waiting more than 20 minutes, so that's our limit.

I think any line for an attraction that doesn't offer FP is doable up to an hour. If you're constantly moving its a big difference over waiting standby.

As a DL AP I've recently waited 90+ min in the Indiana Jones line. It was our last day before summer blackouts and it was the only day I only had my older daughter who is just now tall enough for IJTFE. When we got there all FP were gone. It wasn't so bad to grab a snack and wait in line. 15min of the line was due to a breakdown, but otherwise it was doable. Sometimes if you really want to ride a ride you're willing to wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter