• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How long before this attitude from Disney devalues DVC.

I don't know about devaluing DVC but things could certainly change. I have spoken to many people recently that are just fed up with the way things are in the parks right now and are either not going back for a couple of years or are considering just selling their DVC points all together. We just spent 2 weeks in Disney World and it was definitely not the same even since we were there a year ago let alone a few years ago. I was hoping many of the negative things I had been hearing were just the internet complaining but we found a lot of the gripes were true. Many of the poor cast members seem like they have been through a war. While none were rude, in our experience this year, they were not as happy and friendly in most cases as years past. We are all being charged quite a bit more to get into the parks and then if you want Genie+ even more money. We experienced more rides being down than ever before over the last 20 years we have been going. Of course people are going to be mad. Pay more, get less is not a good recipe for happy consumers. Then mix in issues with the App, other rude guests, transportation issues, etc. No wonder guests are so angry. The current execs at Disney don't seem to care a bit about DVC members or annual pass holders or anyone that frequents Disney. If they keep having record profits though we aren't going to see anything change. If things start to go bad for the company they will then start catering to its "legacy fans". For their sake they better hope that there are enough of those fans left to help them at that point. I guess they must figure that DVC owners and "legacy fans" will be there no matter what so why cater to them. Seems very shortsighted to me but what do I know? I am just a dope that keeps going to Disney (for now).

I am just a dope that keeps going to Disney (for now).
Yeah me too, but I keep planning with the memories I have of the way things were not the way things are. I'm waiting now for 2024, if I can get my two adult kids and DDs significant other on the same page. Hoping to use 3 years points and get the perspective of the younger generation on all the digital stuff. After that I'll make a decision about my DVC points. Maybe start using them for Hilton Head, we'll see. I'm reluctant to sell because I bought them at such a bargain cost compared to today's price per point. We'll see.

As someone who bought in 2016, and is now selling a 150 point contract that would have let us take 2 trips to WDW a year, we are just finding that WDW "just isn't worth it" to go twice a year now. All the major changes to DVC and the Parks has just really left Us wondering what will come next, and how much more it will cost Us. Even with DVC it is still costing our family of 5 over $10k a trip, and we would like to not spend $20k a year at WDW. We can take other great trips with that kind of money, and also go to Universal for half that price.

As a 32 year old who is tech savvy
We (DW, DS9, DS7, DD2) are currently at Polynesian for a 7 night stay and went to all 4 theme parks, it was great. The app showing wait times was awesome. I think it’s weird navigating the app at first, as some things aren’t as intuitive, but it gets better. In fact - we loved it so much we put a DVC offer in for VGF!!!!

I think the problem with this train of thought is, we mega-fans, AP holders, and DVC owners, over estimate our impact on the overall numbers. We are really just a blip. And the current administration has blatantly stated that they are courting the new and one-time "big-spender" guests to meet their bottom line.

Now if those guests start to dry up(as stimulus runs out, unemployment rises, inflation continues, another recession, etc.) then MAYBE our group will have some sway again. But maybe not. Not while there is a number cruncher running the show at least.

As a 32 year old who is tech savvy
We (DW, DS9, DS7, DD2) are currently at Polynesian for a 7 night stay and went to all 4 theme parks, it was great. The app showing wait times was awesome. I think it’s weird navigating the app at first, as some things aren’t as intuitive, but it gets better. In fact - we loved it so much we put a DVC offer in for VGF!!!!
Enjoy. You are the new guest who doesn't remember how it used to be. Disney corporate likes you. You didn't say direct or resale. But you'll be getting lots of "Welcome home!" s in your future. :thumbsup2

My wife and I, long time Disney fans with at least 500 nights spent at Poly, BLT, and BCV in the last 20 years, are boycotting Disney for 2023. After a dismal trip in March, which saw ride closures, inability to get dining reservations, closed food service, stressed CMs, the buggy and poorly thought out Genie+, the requirement to get up at 7am to make ILL's and pay for them, and MUCH higher pricing, we're going to wait until we see improvements are made.

I think the problem with this train of thought is, we mega-fans, AP holders, and DVC owners, over estimate our impact on the overall numbers. We are really just a blip. And the current administration has blatantly stated that they are courting the new and one-time "big-spender" guests to meet their bottom line.

Now if those guests start to dry up(as stimulus runs out, unemployment rises, inflation continues, another recession, etc.) then MAYBE our group will have some sway again. But maybe not. Not while there is a number cruncher running the show at least.
so then if we are just a "blip" then throwing us a bone or 2 to make us feel good inside won't cost them a thing.

I should do a proper trip report but just wanted to say for this thread that we spent last week at BWV and CCV and all the parks and I must say that it almost felt like pre-pandemic! Crowds were moderate most of the week except as the labor day weekend approached. We experienced not a single ride being down. We did not have our heads buried in our phones, did not use LL, G, or G+. We did do the 7AM thing for Guardians and got a good mid-morning time. Otherwise we just kept an eye on wait times and got on 90% of the rides we wanted with no more than a 40 minute wait. The CM's were noticeably more friendly and a few went above an beyond for us. QS wait times were all reasonable and we were able to do a walk up at resort TS when rain prevented us from getting to a park TS reservation. And this was even with the app saying "the walk up list is full" (or something like that). Also it seemed like most of the entertainment so many said was never coming back, was back. Parades in full force. Random street entertainers. Random character visits to hotel lobbies. And YeeHa Bob too!

It really felt like there were more CM's in general at all locations - parks, restaurants, resorts. Maybe staffing has finally picked up or maybe the slight drop in overall attendance meant customers and staff were better balanced. Whatever it was I hope you all experience the same on your next visit.

My wife and I, long time Disney fans with at least 500 nights spent at Poly, BLT, and BCV in the last 20 years, are boycotting Disney for 2023. After a dismal trip in March, which saw ride closures, inability to get dining reservations, closed food service, stressed CMs, the buggy and poorly thought out Genie+, the requirement to get up at 7am to make ILL's and pay for them, and MUCH higher pricing, we're going to wait until we see improvements are made.
I get it, and certainly commiserate with you. However, I think the better way to “boycott” is to use up your DVC space with resorts-only trips (that is, if you still want to vacation there) and spend as large a percentage of your money offiste as possible. If you rent out your points, the renter will spend plenty, giving Disney its desired revenue.

We did a “mostly resorts” trip in July (MM at DHS one night, and one more Epcot day to ride GOTG-CR because I have an annual pass) and had a wonderfully relaxing time. We’re going back in early-November for six nights and might do a day or two in the parks.

Last edited:
Agreed, but Chapek doesn't share even a bone or two if it doesn't make him a profit. He doesn't deal in "feel good" matters at all. It's all bottom line to him.
Maybe someone can convince him that those legacy types can be free advertising for the parks. Posting and talking to friends about all the little extras they got and how the magic is back. No finance guy can ever resist something that's "free" 😁

I get it, and certainly commiserate with you. However, I think the better way to “boycott” is to use up your DVC space as a resorts-only trip (that is, if you still want to vacation there) and spend as huge a percentage of your money offiste as possible. If you rent out your points, the renter will spend plenty there, giving Disney its desired revenue.

We did a “mostly resorts” trip in July (MM at DHS one night, and one more Epcot day to ride GOTG-CR because I have an annual pass) and had a wonderfully relaxing time. We’re going back in early-November for six nights and might do a day or two in the parks.
We’re doing the same. We booked two trips before realizing we won’t get APs back and then re-did our trips to use every point we have for 2023 with the plan to bank 2024 and wait til 2025 for the next trip. I’m hoping for the return of AP and a better version of genie/LL to come along, maybe even a drop in travel to encourage Disney to court return visitors again.

The WSJ article never mentions DVC, and I think that is because DVC (mostly) fails to conform to the dichotomy the article posits between guests who visit once or at most a few times in their life and spend a lot of money every trip versus pre-pandemic local AP holders who visit constantly but spend $0 to de minimis on many visits. DVC owners tend to visit regularly and repeatedly but not dozens of times every year and often spend quite a bit, though probably less per trip than the once-in-a-lifetime crowd.
I'm not sure where we fit in Disney's plans. They clearly like to sell DVC direct, and keep adding inventory. But everywhere else Disney seems to be focused on the question "how much are you spending at Disney resorts today?" and limits their exposure to those who paid money in the past. For example, not only did they eliminate no-expiry tickets, but they eliminated the ability to buy non-date specific 10 or 14 day tickets that could be used next week, next year or 10 years from purchase. Disney hated holding those open ended tickets on the books as a liability , never knowing when they would be used. Similarly, to the extent you can even buy an AP, almost all the open-ended freedom it entailed is gone. And they have shown no inclination to let people prepay for meals with the Dining Plan as yet.
Yet they do keep selling new DVC points, taking money today and accepting the obligation to provide lodging for decades. I realize DVC is more self-sustaining, with the dues and such, but it still seems to go against their overall approach.

We always said when we were over the parks we would still keep DVC and use it as winter sun, swim maybe golf and visit our favourite restaurants.

Now I’m not so sure

I should do a proper trip report but just wanted to say for this thread that we spent last week at BWV and CCV and all the parks and I must say that it almost felt like pre-pandemic! Crowds were moderate most of the week except as the labor day weekend approached. We experienced not a single ride being down. We did not have our heads buried in our phones, did not use LL, G, or G+. We did do the 7AM thing for Guardians and got a good mid-morning time. Otherwise we just kept an eye on wait times and got on 90% of the rides we wanted with no more than a 40 minute wait. The CM's were noticeably more friendly and a few went above an beyond for us. QS wait times were all reasonable and we were able to do a walk up at resort TS when rain prevented us from getting to a park TS reservation. And this was even with the app saying "the walk up list is full" (or something like that). Also it seemed like most of the entertainment so many said was never coming back, was back. Parades in full force. Random street entertainers. Random character visits to hotel lobbies. And YeeHa Bob too!

It really felt like there were more CM's in general at all locations - parks, restaurants, resorts. Maybe staffing has finally picked up or maybe the slight drop in overall attendance meant customers and staff were better balanced. Whatever it was I hope you all experience the same on your next visit.
I hope it’s good. We went in January and it was crazy. We’re going in November with our kids and grandkids. They’re military so we’re staying at SOG.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter