HOW LONG DID YOU WAIT FOR DIRECT?

Can_Dannn

Mouseketeer
Wondering how long people have waited until they got an offer?
I am looking at purchasing a DIRECT contract at AKL - given they are not 'actively' selling this resort, I'm guessing I will be put on a wait list?
EXAMPLE: I call my guide [say his name is Teorge ;)], and tell him I want to buy 150 points at AKL. What happens next? Does Disney then wait for a resale contract to come up, and exercise ROFR?

Confused
THANKS!

I am looking at purchasing a DIRECT contract at AKL - given they are not 'actively' selling this resort, I'm guessing I will be put on a wait list?
EXAMPLE: I call my guide [say his name is Teorge ;)], and tell him I want to buy 150 points at AKL. What happens next? Does Disney then wait for a resale contract to come up, and exercise ROFR?

Confused
THANKS!
They get points everyday. Either through ROFR or foreclosure mostly. So you could find out if you call right now they have availability. They are more proactive than reactive (i.e. getting in points with no particular buyer in mind) in points at the larger WDW resorts. The only resort they seem to not be proactive or reactive in buying points for is VGC (and maybe BCV).

I really can’t say for AKL, but I’ve heard reports that it can be as quick as a few days.
We went on the wait list for BCV last year, having heard that the wait list was closed and it could take years. It took just under 7 weeks.
I really couldn’t say how this relates to others, but I think if your guide knows you are serious in buying and definitely only want that resort then they will get you there as quickly as they can.

I bought some AKV direct in Janaury 2018 (so almost 2 years ago). I called up my rep and he had me points on that call. I only wanted 75 and was able to get it taken care of with two phone calls (once to leave a message and once to call him back when I missed his call).

It also looks like Disney has been fairly active in exercising ROFR on AKV lately so they may be available currently or with a short wait.

They get points everyday. Either through ROFR or foreclosure mostly. So you could find out if you call right now they have availability. They are more proactive than reactive (i.e. getting in points with no particular buyer in mind) in points at the larger WDW resorts. The only resort they seem to not be proactive or reactive in buying points for is VGC (and maybe BCV).
The only resorts they are not buying is Aulani, CCV, and RIV. Also PVB they don’t seem to be ROFR’ing too. Someone recently had two VGC contacts that DVC ROFR’d. The reason they don’t buy back many VGC, VGF or BCV they have high resale prices and not much room for profit them.

Last edited:
The only resorts they are not buying is Aulani, CCV, and RIV. Also PVB they don’t seem to be ROFR’ing too. Someone recently had two VGC contacts that DCV ROFR’d. The reason they don’t buy back many VGC, VGF or BCV they have high resale prices and not much room for profit them.
Agreed that is why I said they are getting the points through ROFR or foreclosure on the sold out resorts (likely why PVB and CCV will be a while before they buy back since more foreclosures). But yeah they are buying a few VGC points but those are exceptions in the history of ROFR for the resort, not the norm. The common consensus for VGC is it is not bought back is because it involves dealing with California, which is a bit more difficult for them. However, they are absolutely buying VGF and BCV (as deeds are being filed for direct) and the spread between resale and direct with those resorts is similar to others.

Agreed that is why I said they are getting the points through ROFR or foreclosure on the sold out resorts (likely why PVB and CCV will be a while before they buy back since more foreclosures). But yeah they are buying a few VGC points but those are exceptions in the history of ROFR for the resort, not the norm. The common consensus for VGC is it is not bought back is because it involves dealing with California, which is a bit more difficult for them. However, they are absolutely buying VGF and BCV (as deeds are being filed for direct) and the spread between resale and direct with those resorts is similar to others.

8C39CAB8-ED09-4A24-8A36-83F781EE9C75.png

They take back almost as much VGC as VGF.

Last edited:
View attachment 459596

The take back almost as much VGC as VGF.
Agreed, though most those VGC were bought by Disney in November (with only 8 YTD in October and only 3 YTD in September where VGF was at 21). So there has been a change that is different than the previous expectations of DVC (as I agreed). It will be interesting what DVC does with those points. In the November (really more a October view) Sale Report compiled by DVCNews.com there wasn’t any sold. Though these buyback rates are based on one resale broker (just one of the largest).

Also VGF they get point still via decently heavy in the foreclosure market based on when I’ve looked there (not possible to look at VGC because of California differences). Also all year they have been selling at VGF but not VGC (except a few deeds recorded).

Agreed, though most those VGC were bought by Disney in November (with only 8 YTD in October and only 3 YTD in September where VGF was at 21). So there has been a change that is different than the previous expectations of DVC (as I agreed). It will be interesting what DVC does with those points. In the November (really more a October view) Sale Report compiled by DVCNews.com there wasn’t any sold. Though these buyback rates are based on one resale broker (just one of the largest).

Also VGF they get point still via decently heavy in the foreclosure market based on when I’ve looked there (not possible to look at VGC because of California differences). Also all year they have been selling at VGF but not VGC (except a few deeds recorded).
I agree there appears to be an upswing for VGC. I have heard CA timeshare law is much different than FL. Supposed VGC has a closed waitlist, the same has also been said about VGF and BCV. I am surprised that they do not chose to exercise ROFR on a lot of PVB contracts. some are selling in the $130 range and the direct price is closing in on $250 per point. That is easy money. I think DVC May have to rethink their business plan shortly. Yes it is nice to build a new resort and make a lot of money, but buying a contract back and reselling it for even a $30-40 per point profit is really easy money. Time will tell.

We bought at BWV about 5 years ago. We wanted 500 points. We ended up having to split it into 3 contracts. We got the first part within a few days. It took almost 6 months to end up with the entire thing. I think the main issue with splitting it up was getting the same UY. I don't know if our timeframe was typical or not but I think that if you aren't in a hurry you can get whatever you want.

Confused
THANKS!
I spoke to a Guide on Labor Day about a 75 point, Feb UY contract at Boardwalk- was put on hold for 5 minutes and was a direct owner at Boardwalk that day!

Confused
THANKS!

I'd expect a pretty quick turnaround for AKL...maybe even that day. When we bought earlier this year, we debated AKL and CCV, we went with CCV, but could have purchased AKL that day. We called about a possible add on 3 months ago, and they had AKL available that day as well.

How much was it per point? We are thinking of doing this as well.
$186/point, which yes is high, but I am not a shopper, I am a buyer lol. I NEEDED them😂 I booked my December trip immediately, which was worth the price. Also, it included 2019 banked points. I had been considering renting points to make sure I secured the reservation I wanted, but I like to control my reservation. I also realized my initial direct purchase of 100 was not near enough. No regrets here. The points were in my account within hours of my initial phone call. Way too easy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter