How long from DL to San Diego?

magicalfoursome

DIS Veteran
How long is the car ride from San Diego.? On google maps it says up to 4 hours with traffic! We will be traveling from San Diego to Lax on a Tuesday morning to catch a 2pm flight. Thanks!

Where in SD will you be leaving from, the harbor? I would allow 3 hours to LAX, but it likely won't take you that long, especially if you use the HOV lane on Interstate 5, assuming you leave after 9 am.

We plan on staying in Coronado. Change of plans now we are staying in La Jolla and flying out of LAX on the red eye at 10:30 pm.

We have a 6:30 am flight on a Sun morning for our trip in Jun/July, so I just did a quick schedule and that means we'll need to leave our hotel in San Diego by 1:00 am :scared1: At least we'll have a day and a half to recover before returning back to work!

We have a 6:30 am flight on a Sun morning for our trip in Jun/July, so I just did a quick schedule and that means we'll need to leave our hotel in San Diego by 1:00 am :scared1: At least we'll have a day and a half to recover before returning back to work!

You might as well not go to bed!!:scared1: Planning our trip to DL and San Diego has been so much harder than planning a trip to WDW!! I know WDW--where I want to stay and what I want to see-- this is our first trip to Southern California and I am clueless! :confused: I just changed our whole itinerary again!! I must have been CRAZY thinking of changing hotel rooms twice in one week! We are now going to drive from LAX to San Diego on our arrival day to spend a few days there. Then we are driving to DL for a few days in the Anaheim area. Have a wonderful trip!!

You might as well not go to bed!!:scared1: Planning our trip to DL and San Diego has been so much harder than planning a trip to WDW!! I know WDW--where I want to stay and what I want to see-- this is our first trip to Southern California and I am clueless! :confused: I just changed our whole itinerary again!! I must have been CRAZY thinking of changing hotel rooms twice in one week! We are now going to drive from LAX to San Diego on our arrival day to spend a few days there. Then we are driving to DL for a few days in the Anaheim area. Have a wonderful trip!!

I feel the exact same way! I just feel kind of clueless about what to do, and in what order! :confused3 I actually just talked to DH and thinks we should switch our trip around and go to San Diego first and then Anaheim/DL last so that it will be a shorter drive to the airport. It makes sense, but means about a half day less at DL :sad2:

Where are you staying at in San Diego? I'm still trying to decide, but am considering the Dana at Mission Bay and the Ocean Park Inn.

Good luck with your planning and have a great trip! :thumbsup2

We're also doing San Diego and DL on our upcoming trip. We're flying into the Orange Co/John Wayne airport instead of LAX though.

As much as we're looking forward to this trip I am worried that traffic is going to throw major wrenches into our plans. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

Kristen

I feel the exact same way! I just feel kind of clueless about what to do, and in what order! :confused3 I actually just talked to DH and thinks we should switch our trip around and go to San Diego first and then Anaheim/DL last so that it will be a shorter drive to the airport. It makes sense, but means about a half day less at DL :sad2:

Where are you staying at in San Diego? I'm still trying to decide, but am considering the Dana at Mission Bay and the Ocean Park Inn.

Good luck with your planning and have a great trip! :thumbsup2

That is the same reason we are going to San Diego first, then DL-- to be closer to the airport for departure. I have decided to stay at the Candy Cane Inn in DL and I am also undecided about SD. I would like to stay in La Jolla or Coronado. I am picky about my hotel and everywhere that looks great to me has a high price tag! I am going to wait to see if any summer deals come out.

We have the same issues going on--where to stay, what order to do things in...etc.

I think we've set on going to San Diego first, then Disneyland. We're flying in and out of SNA.

Right now we're trying to decide between Hojo and the Hyatt in Anaheim...and as for San Diego I haven't picked anything yet. I am going to tentatively book the Homewood at Carlsbad (can always cancel) because it looks decent (fairly new), has breakfast, and is close to Legoland. Then I'm going to watch on Hotwire and maybe bid on Priceline.

:)

I'm thinking about doing a week later this year. Have kind of decided to fly in and out of SNA. Then see Universal and DL first, before going to SD. That way I only have to change hotels once, first hotel in Anaheim and second in SD. I'll commute to Universal from Anaheim, maybe on a Sunday so the traffic won't be as bad (?)

I don't like the whole packing and checking out and checking in and unpacking thing.

I'll pick a flight out so it isn't real early in the morning so won't have to leave SD in the middle of the night, and it will be on a Sunday so hopefully traffic not as bad.

It's cheaper for me to fly into any of the LA airports than to SD. But I haven't looked at rental cars yet, that might change my mind.

Part of the challenge you are all experiencing that makes it harder than WDW is:

1 - You are including a city that is about 2 hours away (depending on traffic) from DL in your plans.

2 - You are flying out of an airport that is about an hour (depending on traffic) from DL AND 3 hours (if not more) from SD.

Visually, you are doing this:

A

B

C

Starting in B. Driving 2 hours to C and then returning 3 hours (or more) to A.

San Diego is an amazing city and if I could convince my DH, we'd live there; however, combining it with a DL vacation when flying in and out of SD is logistically undesirable - and not a fair comparison to a WDW vacation because you are including an additional (semi-distant) city.

HTH,
Dreams

San Diego is an amazing city and if I could convince my DH, we'd live there; however, combining it with a DL vacation when flying in and out of SD is logistically undesirable - and not a fair comparison to a WDW vacation because you are including an additional (semi-distant) city.

HTH,
Dreams

I know I am planning a lot in my one week stay but I really want to see DL and San Diego. I don't know when I will able to get back! I am happy to see that you think San Diego is amazing-- I can't wait!! Our plan now is to fly into LAX, drive to San Diego for 3 nights, and then drive to DL for 4 nights. I am thinking of The Dana on Mission Bay in San Diego-- thanks to the previous poster I had to check that resort out too! The choices of beaches and hotels are overwhelming! All the beaches in San Diego look wonderful and I keep changing my mind. :faint: First it was Coronado, then La Jolla, now Mission Bay. I am sure DL vets get overwhelmed when planning their WDW vacations too!

I know I am planning a lot in my one week stay but I really want to see DL and San Diego. I don't know when I will able to get back! I am happy to see that you think San Diego is amazing-- I can't wait!! Our plan now is to fly into LAX, drive to San Diego for 3 nights, and then drive to DL for 4 nights. I am thinking of The Dana on Mission Bay in San Diego-- thanks to the previous poster I had to check that resort out too! The choices of beaches and hotels are overwhelming! All the beaches in San Diego look wonderful and I keep changing my mind. :faint: First it was Coronado, then La Jolla, now Mission Bay. I am sure DL vets get overwhelmed when planning their WDW vacations too!

When you divide it like you are, it works. It's almost like 2 vacations. 4 nights at DL, 3 nights SD. If you are flying home from LAX just know that the SD - LAX can take awhile depending upon time of day and traffic.

Coronado is gorgeous. La Jolla is fabulous. Mission Bay is fun. They are all nice and each has their own "beat." It really depends upon what you like and plan on doing. You can't go wrong with any of those choices though.

- Dreams

You might want to look at Glorietta Bay Inn on Coronado. This is where we always try to stay. It is a great hotel, not right on the beach but right across the street. I don't know when you are planning your trip but I have ususally had luck getting a good deal there. It also gets good reviews on TA.

Another thought could you fly into SD and then fly out of LAX or SNA?

San Diego is a wonderful city with tons of fun things to do with children, I can't imagine only staying there 3 -4 days but I know you have to do what you can do...

You might want to look at Glorietta Bay Inn on Coronado. This is where we always try to stay. It is a great hotel, not right on the beach but right across the street. I don't know when you are planning your trip but I have ususally had luck getting a good deal there. It also gets good reviews on TA.

Another thought could you fly into SD and then fly out of LAX or SNA?

San Diego is a wonderful city with tons of fun things to do with children, I can't imagine only staying there 3 -4 days but I know you have to do what you can do...

Glorietta Bay Inn was where I had first decided to stay in Coronado! I looked at the Hotel Coronado but it was too pricey. Glorietta does get great reviews on trip advisor and looks like a great place to stay. We are going the end of July. I had thought of flying into SD and out of LAX or SNA but the cost was too high --- also the car rental would have been higher too! I then decided on La Jolla because we want to snorkel and see the seals at Children's Cove. I also want to visit Mission Bay. I want to see it all in 3 days!! Is it easy to drive and park at the different beaches? Which beach is best for ocean fun, great food, and touristy shopping? :confused: We are also going to Sea World and the day we drive to Anahiem we are going to the San Diego Zoo. My family never rests on vacation-- we like to go and go and go!!

I want to see it all in 3 days!! Is it easy to drive and park at the different beaches? Which beach is best for ocean fun, great food, and touristy shopping?

San Diegan here. When are you visiting our fair city? Sorry, I didn't read back through the entire thread. I'll try to steer you in the right direction, but maybe not for a while. We're off to WDW in 2 days!

San Diegan here. When are you visiting our fair city? Sorry, I didn't read back through the entire thread. I'll try to steer you in the right direction, but maybe not for a while. We're off to WDW in 2 days!

We are coming July 22nd until July 25th. On the 25th we plan on going to the SD Zoo on our way to Anaheim. I just learned that the comic convention will be in SD the exact time we will be there. Will it affect us? Have a wonderful trip to WDW!! :wizard:

^That's a great time to visit San Diego for beach weather. June gloom should be over, and the water as warm as it gets.

Regarding the beaches, you can visit one after another with little problem during the week or early on the weekend. Some of the more popular areas stack up with traffic and parking can be a problem.

You'll find lots of touristy shopping at Seaport Village on San Diego Bay http://www.seaportvillage.com/. The Embarcadero is just north of Seaport Village, the Midway aircraft carrier museum and the cruise ship terminal. Since you plan to visit La Jolla, you might stroll around the shops in the village. There are some high end places.

If I were to hit the highlights of San Diego's beach scene, here's where I'd go:

*Coronado's Strand, wide open sand, the beautiful Hotel Del

* Cabrillo Monument out on the tip of Pt Loma. Beautiful views, tide pools, and an historic lighthouse.

*From there I'd take the scenic drive along Sunset Cliffs to Mission Beach and Mission Bay. Mission Bay is a sparkling jewel fringed by parklands. Visit virtually anywhere but Fiesta Island's sandy wasteland. The western most areas such as Mariner's Cove and Bonita Cove and Vacation Isle are generally the nicest. You'll find Belmont Park and the historic Giant Dipper roller coaster at the foot of West Mission Bay Drive. Think touristy beach-side carnival.

*La Jolla - you can take surface streets from Mission Bay into La Jolla. That enclave is slow to navigate however you drive. Explore the point and Scripps Cove north of the Childrens' Pool, and also consider continuing just a bit farther north to La Jolla Shores for the mildest surf our coast has to offer.

*Bonus beach - north of La Jolla you'll find Torrey Pines State Park. You can stroll the quiet beach beneath the bluffs, or continue on into the state park for a series of easy hikes featuring gorgeous views.

Depending on how you spend your time, this could easily take more than a day or as little as half a day if you spend most of it in the car.

ComicCon should only impact the area immediately around the San Diego Convention Center.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your visit! We spend a lot of time on and around the water - we're feel lucky to live here.

I know this discussion is a couple of weeks old, but when I read your posts, I was thinking the same thing. This by far has been the hardest trip to plan. We are flying into LAX doing DL for 2 days then heading South. From there is where it is getting complicated. Can't decide about LL, SW, getting a city pass, a Go card, etc. Any insights would be appreciated. We are flying home from SAN.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter