How long is too long at WDW?

This is really helpful, thank you. We could potentially rent a car in WDW for our final week, which should give me a better idea of where I’m going. I would just need to sit on my hand so I didn’t keep trying to change gear! I will give it some thought...

Yep with an automatic you’ve only got to worry about the steering (and the stopping!) :rotfl2:

Yes, too long. Are you planning on visiting any other areas in the US or even other areas of Florida? We've done three week trips before, but not all in one single place. When we fly to Europe, for example, we tend to take 3 week trips and visit multiple countries or islands (in the case of Greece). There is just so much to see in the US and 5 weeks is a long time. Even with taking your time, you can be done with WDW in 2 weeks or less.

Yes, too long. Are you planning on visiting any other areas in the US or even other areas of Florida? We've done three week trips before, but not all in one single place. When we fly to Europe, for example, we tend to take 3 week trips and visit multiple countries or islands (in the case of Greece). There is just so much to see in the US and 5 weeks is a long time. Even with taking your time, you can be done with WDW in 2 weeks or less.

We will definitely be there for 4 weeks because we have different groups coming in to meet us. We won’t be going anywhere else in the US on this trip, but after this thread I’m considering whether we should try to see more of central Florida.

I actually lived in Colorado and St Louis, and have travelled a lot within the US, especially the western states. For various reasons, we just have never made it to WDW before. I would love to take a year and travel the US, but that’s not going to happen on this trip - I think that will need to wait until the next birthday ending in 0!

Make sure to consider Kennedy Space Center, Universal, Sea World, LEGO Land, Busch Gardens, various outdoor activities (airboats, swim with manatees, etc). Maybe down to Miami or up to the panhandle.

I am thinking about going for four days or maybe five depending on how much the hotel costs. That's much less than everyone is talking about here!

Will we have enough time to see everything? It will be our first time so we aren't sure how many days to book. I think since there are several theme parks at Disneyworld there won't be time to go to the other places like Universal or Sea World during this trip and I'm okay with that.

I am thinking about going for four days or maybe five depending on how much the hotel costs. That's much less than everyone is talking about here!

Will we have enough time to see everything? It will be our first time so we aren't sure how many days to book. I think since there are several theme parks at Disneyworld there won't be time to go to the other places like Universal or Sea World during this trip and I'm okay with that.

It's enough, but it's also never enough, right? You just have to be very intentional in what you do. Take time to review all your options. It's definitely doable in 4-5.

As someone who learnt to drive in the UK and now lives in the US, for me driving is much easier in the US. It doesn’t take long to get used to it (you’re kind of forced to) and the roads in Florida are easy compared to European routes. Me and my husband have an automatic and a manual car between us and the automatic is much easier (if not a little more boring) but even in the manual, it’s fine. I do understand why you might not want to drive over here and I totally respect that, I had lots of reservations myself, but I just wanted to let you know it really isn’t such a massive deal as you might imagine. Remember you only need one foot and that as long as you the driver are in the middle of the road (as opposed to the pavement side), you’ll be grand

So if you do fancy driving, basically get out there and explore Florida. As much as we adored Disney, we loved the Keys and Miami was just incredible. As others have said, Kennedy Space Center was a great day out.

I love eating out on holidays but five weeks would do even me in. Any chance you could go part self-catering?

A little off topic, but all you extended trip travelers may know the answer!
I am booked for 15 days (3 on-site resorts, back to back to back) but only have a 7 day ticket. When my window opens, may I book for any 7 of the 15 day stay?
OP- Enjoy your long trip!!

5 weeks is a long time to spend anywhere. However I would enjoy it. There is something about Disney that is so relaxing. I would suggest getting out of the bubble while staying in it. There is a Four Seasons on property that is suppose to be fantastic. The Grand Cypress in Lake Buena Vista is gorgeous and the restaurants are fantastic.

Have a great trip, very envious!

My absolute max at Disney is 8 days. I can do everything I want to do in that time, including visiting other places. I can't imagine being on vacation anywhere for five weeks. :confused3
Exactly the same for us. We did 8 days in February and by the end we were done with crowds, lines, buses, eating out, hotel beds and had done pretty much everything multiple times. 4 weeks is crazy. 5 weeks, no chance. Would much rather take 5 different one week trips rather than blow it all at WDW.

Make sure to consider Kennedy Space Center, Universal, Sea World, LEGO Land, Busch Gardens, various outdoor activities (airboats, swim with manatees, etc). Maybe down to Miami or up to the panhandle.
For most of these destinations you can Uber or Lyft if you really want to minimize driving, I think even KSC you can book a tour that will pick u up and drive you. Busch Gardens is a bit further so you'd likely want car for that, as well as Miami or panhandle or beaches.

And definitely check into renting DVC points-even starting in middle of your stay-especially if looking at a 1 bedroom with a full kitchen. The space would be so nice!

Have a great trip!

I'm jealous. I could easily do 5 weeks if time and money allowed for it. And, it's not all about the theme parks. The resorts, behind the scenes tours, horseback riding, dining, sleeping in, etc. How could you get tired of that.
Exactly...and that's all on Disney property. Of course every day doesn't have to be in a theme park. I would definitely be hitting the water parks a lot, too. My "beach time" would be at Typhoon Lagoon. I love that place.

She's staying at the Boardwalk for a week. I could easily spend a whole day enjoying that area and the World Showcase. That pool is great, too. One of the best resort slides on property.

JMHO-I think someone who has never set foot in WDW COULD spend 5 weeks there and not get bored.

There is so much to do-the place is huge and to someone who has never been,EVERYTHING is especially amazing!

For example,I have over 300 nights at WDW since 2003 and could still easily spend 2 weeks in Epcot alone and not get bored..

But that's just me-there never has been and never will be anything like WDW!:)

As I mentioned, I live an hour north of Orlando in an area where British (and Canadian) folks love to winter. I was chatting with one of our British visitors about driving and they, too, were surprised how easy it was to drive in Orlando, and Florida.

You don’t need a car your whole trip. But if you find you feel like getting away from Disney for a day or week or two you could easily get a car and check out other stuff. As someone above mentioned, Uber and lyft are also options for other places in Orlando.

If money were no object and I didn’t have family and pets waiting for me at home, I could totally spend 5 weeks at Disney. I think I would do a different hotel a week just for variety.

But alas....money is an issue and I always have a husband, kids, and animals waiting for me, so a week is my limit.

If money were no object and I didn’t have family and pets waiting for me at home, I could totally spend 5 weeks at Disney. I think I would do a different hotel a week just for variety.

But alas....money is an issue and I always have a husband, kids, and animals waiting for me, so a week is my limit.
Haha...love this post.

Indeed. I think I'd do all three Monorail Resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club or Boardwalk and the Fort Wilderness Cabins during that 5 weeks.

Being that you’re from the U.K. I don’t think that’s an unreasonable amount of time. You have to factor in the days of adjusting to the time change, and there will be plenty to do. I always joke (kinda) that I’d love to just move into one of the grand villas and live “at Disney World” permanently,lol. We go for 14 nights yearly, and that’s good for us. I don’t know if the Xmas party would be worth staying a whole extra week for, but IMO an extra week at Disney is never a bad thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter